This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
snes1423's picture
Would it be possible to run diablo 1 on a powerbook 520c

Ive seen the requirements here https://macintoshgarden.org/games/diablo and it says power macintosh or compatible and i wonder if it could run but of course at a lower speed because the 520c has 12Mb of RAM and its requirement there is 8MB RAM maybe with some sort of hack perhaps??? i mean like somebody got quake running on 68k here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df47Yb7LrmQ

Comments

sfp1954's picture

12MB is barely room enough for the OS.
If you use virtual memory you would need a SSD Drive (SCSI2SD).
What would you use for a HD and a CD? You need at least 300-600 MB of storage.
And if the code is PPC it's not going to run on a 68K machine.
In my experience you need at least a 233 G3 Wallstreet Powerbook or a Beige G3 desktop tower running 8.6 for a good experience.
You might be able to get by with a 7300/180 or 7500/100 or 7600.
But again you would either need SCSI2SD or a Sonnet PCI to ATA card to get a reliable HD running of a decent size.

WhosIt.There's picture

Yep. I remember playing it on my old beige G3 minitower and it ran well. The only problem was ruining another mouse with all the button-bashing. I even finished the game. I did start on Diablo II, but my brother wanted the original disks back before I finished that.

24bit's picture

If you want to play Diablo 1, SheepShaver, QemuPPC or Windows 9X in a virtual machine should work.
SheepShaver is really fast on a MBP 8,1.

snes1423's picture

do you know any listings that have a pcmcia expansion module for this machine

24bit's picture

Sadly no. Such a add in will be rare as a horse with five legs.
Here is a drawing at least to determine what it should look like:

Description

lilliputian's picture

Here's are some photos from a couple different auctions I've come across:

Rev. C (The most sought after)

Rev. B

snes1423's picture

whats the cheapest zip drive on ebay right now with disks heard that it can be used to transfer large files

snes1423's picture

another thing i have been looking at is a 44-pin CF to SCSI adapter for a hard drive so that i can take it out anytime and hook the compact flash card and transfer files that way but is there a version of basilisk ii that would mount it as a usable operating system from the adaptor on mac osx leopard

lilliputian's picture

I don't have experience with the CF to SCSI adapters personally, but I have a SCSI2SD adapter for my LCIII, and it works great. There is one made specifically for Powerbook 500s which you might consider (though they are considerably more expensive than the CF adapters): link

Others may be able to comment on the CF to SCSI adapters that are out there. Technically I have a CF to IDE that I use in an iPod, but that's not quite the same!

lilliputian's picture

If you're getting one for the powerbook 520, you'll want either the Zip 100 SCSI, or the Zip 100 Plus (I have a Plus, it's very robust, but requires a special cable). In either case, as with any SCSI device and a powerbook 500, you'll need an HDI-to-SCSI adapter (a little L-shaped brick; very common though).

However, as I mentioned in one of your other posts, I have found the Zip Disk transfer method to be somewhat unreliable, but as I said there, it may just be me. Your mileage may vary.

Troyd's picture

The problem with Zip drives is that there is still a retro music scene that uses them for older sequencers, which keeps the demand for and the price of SCSI Zips high, especially the 250MB model. You might finder a better bargain with a Jaz drive. Those are faster, a little noisier but for transferring files they will do the job. They are slightly more reliable than the Zip drives as long as you keep them clean and dust/lint free. I use these with my MacSE so they are compatible with all Mac portables, pretty much.