This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
snes1423's picture
What high-spec games would run on a lombard 400mhz powerbook g3

Planning on buying one from ebay you guys know any top of the line games that would run on it

Comments

sfp1954's picture

Define "top of the line".
Under OS9 or OSX?

In general I would say any "top of the line" game would need a G4 tower with a real graphics card.

snes1423's picture

Like to test it’s real horse-power

SkyCapt's picture

Star Wars Pod Race.

snes1423's picture

kind of off topic but whenever i try to connect to the internet through internet sharing via ethernet it says a error saying that two devices are sharing the same network and it shuts the tcp/ip down

OpenSourceMac's picture

I have to agree Pod Racer is fan-tabu-lous. Also, under OS 9 any of the original Tomb Raiders.

OpenSourceMac's picture

P.S. I suspect this ( https://macintoshgarden.org/games/doom-legacy-wad-launcher-0 ) would do well under Panther

soudesune's picture

The Lombard was released in 1999 has a 400MHz G3 and, I guess, 128MB RAM. It has an ATI Rage Pro LT graphics with 8 MB of SDRAM.

I would regard a laptop as being similar to a desktop from the year before, especially in regard to teh garphics card, so look at the games for 1998-1999.

Games on the MG can be found at: http://macintoshgarden.org/year/1998 as well as http://macintoshgarden.org/year/1999
Notable games from these years: Tomb Raider; Quake II; StarCraft amongst others. Civilization II should also play well on your PB.

snes1423's picture

mac os 8.6 or 9.2.2??? which is faster in your opinion also unreal runs great on my iBook G3 500mhz will it run the same on this

OpenSourceMac's picture

OS 9 has a bit better compatibility (especially QuickTime), BUT OS 8.6 is a LOT more stable. If you can run the stuff you want under 8.6, that's the way to go. Worth a try. You can always upgrade to 9.2.2 later.

P.S. Unreal / Unreal Tournament & Quake III / Arena are GREAT choices too.

snes1423's picture

Is there a way to force compatibility for os 9 apps such as Final Cut Pro or iMovie to run under 8.6 specifically iMovie 2.0.4 and Final Cut Pro btw do we have iMovie 1.0 if not can somebody upload it or point me in the right direction

snes1423's picture

I have heard on low end Mac that there is a way to run 8.1 apps on 7.6 through something with ResEdit I can’t seem to find that article though

adespoton's picture

8.1 is essentially 7.6.3. All you need to do is move over a few CFM-related extensions IIRC.

Running OS 9 apps on 8.6, even though OS 9 is really 8.7, is a non-starter; OS 9-only apps are Carbon apps, and will run under OS X PPC, but not 8.6, because all the support libraries are missing. Adding everything required back in would essentially result in a more unstable version of OS 9.

cbone's picture

To run most programs that need Mac OS 8.x in Mac OS 7.6.1 you need to do the following:

1. Some programs need the Appearance Manager to run. The latest version is the second installer.

2. Use ResEdit 2.1.3 to change two lines in the Mac OS 7.6.1 System File (make a copy of the System file and edit that in case you add, edit or delete something by mistake). Open the vers icon: inside are two lines that say 7.6.1; change both version numbers to 8.1.0.

3. As Adespoton mentioned, you need to install the CFM-68K 4.0 Enabler and Object Support Library, but you only need it for 68k Macs.

Just remember to use caution with ResEdit Exclamation Mark it's very powerful, so it can cause things to not work if you make a mistake, like unintentionally deleting a resource inside of a program, etc.