This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
cbone's picture
Turning a Powerbook 3400c to a Powerbook G3 'Kanga' (3500)

I was looking over some information on the web on the original Powerbook G3, and it made me wonder if a 3400c could be upgraded to a Powerbook G3 similar to a Kanga?

From Wikipedia's link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G3_PowerBook Apple made additional changes to the Powerbook like double it's RAM capacity, but would this mean that attempting to solder a G3 chip on be useless or incompatible on a PB 3400c?

I'm thinking (out loud, lol) that possibly the 3400's ROM may have an issue with a G3 chip?

Hmm, if a G3 chip would work as a real/viable upgrade option, I wonder if the same could also apply to a Powerbook 2400c? I happen to own one, which is why I added that to my 3400c-to-G3 upgrade question. And that would unofficially place the 2400c as one of the oldest (and smallest) G3-capable Powerbook (even though I want to say I think that Apple did make these Powerbooks upgradeable to G3).

My knowledge of Mac motherboards is practically nonexistent lol Facepalm

Comments

sfp1954's picture

The CPU is soldered to the logic board so you would need to swap logic boards.
That would only make sense if you wanted to combine parts from a 3400 and a Kanga.

cbone's picture

Ah, got it! Sounds like the most you could do is use a 3400c for spare parts in refurbishing a Kanga then.

Troyd's picture

On top of that, although the memory modules are identical in size and looks, a 3400 RAM board won't work in a Kanga or vice versa.

cbone's picture

Yeah, I saw mention of that. I suppose Apple didn't want people to get fancy ideas like upgrading their old Powerbooks and so decided to improve on the innards with components designed to operate faster instead while perhaps using excess inventory of the 3400c models.