This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

54 posts / 0 new
Last post
thecandymancan1423's picture
Should i stick with Snow Leopard or go to Lion on my iMac Mid 2007

i have heard some very conflicting views on this subject and was wondering what you guys thought
i do like snow leopard for its extreme Mac OSX look and feel

Comments

SkyCapt's picture

Can do Both ??

yeah but i would like to do one so i can clone the drive also to a laptop

cbone's picture

I'd go for Snow Leopard myself Smile

What's not to love? It's speedy and looks great! Lion is newer with some new features and that's about it. More importantly, most programs that run in Lion also run on Snow Leopard.

adespoton's picture

To add to this: anything that won't run on Snow Leopard probably won't run on Lion either -- sure, some stuff will only be slightly more broken on Lion than SL, or slightly more broken on Lion than on El Cap, but my reference OSes these days are Tiger, Snow Leopard and El Capitan. Pick the most recent one that the hardware supports.

sfp1954's picture

I tried to update 10.7.3 to 10.7.5 today on an old iMac I was fixing up and the update wasn't found at Apple.com.

Stick with Snow Leopard - it lets you run applications that contain PPC code.

Great to hear does anyone have the mac app store versions of keynote pages and numbers from when the mac app store first launched on January 5th 2011

sfp1954's picture

Search here for iWork

We have iWork '05, '06', '08 and '09

@cballero love the way tiger looks on my G5 plus Prey runs extremely well on it too as in 30-45~fps

SkyCapt's picture

Human eyes+brains are only able to see 27-29 fps. Anything higher than that isn't an improvement. It's why many programs have an option to "cap" the frame rate at 30.

adespoton's picture

While true, human eyes+brains can see shuttering/sync issues just fine. This means that while you can only see max 30 frames per second, they'll still look smoother if the computer can provide more frames than that, which is why video games settle on 60fps -- not so much for the display itself, but so that the game components sync up correctly and the result looks smooth when displayed. Then of course we've now got 120 frames per second, so that 60 frames can alternate between two different perspectives to provide stereoscopic vision (3D) by running parallel 60 fps processes at the same time.

cbone's picture

So now we have to bump up our Macs' video framerate to 120fps then Laughing out loud

Where'd I leave those 3D glasses? Laughing out loud

Franky233's picture

Hey cbone,

Are you looking for those ones solded for the Formac Proformance (I owned a Proformance III), by the way? Builded from China, it was not strong enough... But when functionals, it was pretty cool just for playing 3D games on Macs. Smile

cbone's picture

Thanks Franky! Smile

I'm not, but I see MikeTomTom had had his eye out for one a good while ago, but maybe he's still in the market for one? Wink

MikeTomTom's picture

Crikey. Now there's a blast from the past - and cbone, I'm no longer "in the market" for one Wink

I was at the time hoping to find a "Proformance 80" card, but settled instead on a Rage Pro 128 (16MB) PCI card pulled from a B&W G3. Which I still have, including the old world Beige G3 it went into.

Franky233's picture

Hi Mike,

Anyway, I've given the one I had... Wink I was using it in my Beige G3 on this era in addition to the built-in for using two monitors, of course. I've bought 3 pairs of glasses for games (compatibles with RAVE engine like Bugdom, Nanosaur, Quake...). But two of those glasses were rather deficient. Sad Ah, Chinese electronic products, twenty years ago, you know... It's just like the perfect opposite to Apple products. Smile But, fortunately, the last one was functional, until I do not have it anymore.

MikeTomTom's picture

Hello Franky!

I've just recently resurrected my beige G3 after a few years, since I made some room by getting rid of an eMac G4 that I'd been given some years back... long story but my new OS 9 G4 Mac is the unofficial OS9Lives 9.2.2 running rather nicely on a Mac mini G4.

My beige G3 though, is currently running 10.2.8 - I had installed 10.3 onto it using XPostFacto to get it working, but found it a bit flaky. I think it's my RAM tho' which I had a lot of work getting some RAM that was compatible with it and I'm still suspicious that it's not quite right. It seems to be more stable with 10.2.x... so far.

But the beige G3 is not as fast as I remember Wink Did you ever see those Apple ads back when the beige G3 was cutting edge technology, the ad with the snail carrying a Pentium 2 CPU on it's back? Ah, memories Wink

Franky233's picture

Yep, unforgettable ads, of course. Personally, I've upgraded my old beige G3 with à Sonnet G4 processor myself. But the bus was too limitating for increasing speed... Sad When I've used my actual Macbook, wow. Shock The day and the night. Smile

Thanks to cbone for those memories (Glasses were totally forgotten). Wink

cbone's picture

Well, Macs only bring good memories, unless one dies, of course!

cbone's picture

Yes, Tiger really rocks on those Macs!! Laughing out loud

@sfpratt1954 i know about those ones i am looking for the app store specific ones though also can someone upload Adobe CS5

is dosdude1 a active member of mac garden wondering if i could get a quote on how much to replace the still working (but extremely hard to get out of its cage/socket and bloated as heck) 21 year old OG Pismo battery i have for my immaculate new sealed in box 400mhz Pismo i got 3 days ago off craigslist for a trade along with a late 2009 mac mini also i would love to know if someone is developing a USB to display driver for os9.2.2 Wink also @cbone i believe you mentioned you had a pismo what is the best era correct version to run on these things i heard it can run up to CS1 which is what i use on my iMac G5 but it runs poorly also any good/high spec games i can run on this hoping to run a playable version of RTCW quake3/Unreal runs great on certain settings don't know about my favorite version of myst which is realmyst which ran poorly on my iBook G3 which i got rid of due to the fact that after trying to replace the keyboard i hadn't noticed before but the plastic pin on the side of the plastic logic board connector was damaged also cbone do you know where i can get a working battery for one of these i know OWC used to sell them up to a few weeks ago i think but now i cant find a single seller that still sells them also have no clue where i can get a faster G3 or G4 upgrade card for these as newertech has not updated there website in 7 years

also didn't daystar try and make a GPU upgrade card for these what happened there??? there website was last updated in 2007-2008 it seems and i cant get a hold of them by email any longer

cbone's picture

All are excellent questions, SNES, but to be perfectly honest, you've researched upgrades far better than I Shock

As much as I'd love to soup-up my Pismo, I'd likely tailor my usage to what runs best on it with the stock processor, since in the long run, running things natively will reduce the Powerbook's wear-and-tear overall. The hard drive and RAM, and in your case (pun intended) the battery, though, I'd upgrade in a heartbeat since those are the staple upgrades on laptops.

However, I'd be more inclined to upgrade my G3 desktop's processor though since desktop cases are far better suited to allow better CPU cooling Smile

I love playing Nintendo and MAME on my G2 and G3 Powerbooks an Macs. Super Nintendo should also play quite well but MAME titles looks better. 68k games like Myst also play very smoothly. And earlier 68k arcade titles really fly on the Pismo too, like Ambrosia's famous games. I suppose I'm just old-school in the software department, but since they run butter-smooth, I really have no complaints.

For Adobe, the Photoshop 7 era works very well speed-wise and RAM-wise. The little rule of newer does not equal better works very well on Mac to Mac software comparisons.

I simplify the equations of my life to stress less, like playing Maelstrom, for example Smile

@cbone i tried to bring this to my one on one in person instruction at school today every time i bring in a older computer the classes para as well as the teacher tries to nag me on over having to use a plug consistently and try to make me use a chromebook which is a device i despise because all chromeos is
a souped up version of webos and i don't like being involved with company's that are big monopoly's to the point where there constantly making crap products in my opinion they could do so much better with chromeos instead of making it a cloud dependent OS that comes with 16GB of internal storage they could make a much beefier computer even a 2007 macbook outperforms them i am a very privacy concerned individual so i have never felt comfortable putting everything on a cloud
and the fact that apple refuses to add back even a microsd card (which my uncle tom who is a wedding photographer hates hence why he still uses a PowerBook G4 DLSD 1.65?? ghz with a pc card and he is very reliant on tenfourfox unfortunately) and there making less repairable throw-away products has kept me from upgrading to anything passed a 2015 macbook pro and another stupid thing is that the new macbook air has soldered on storage chips you wouldn't believe how many complaints i get from kids i know at school and btw i could probably make a living of this now since i have a bunch of broken m1 airs (thanks Ryan) that are useless to me and i am selling them on Craigslist flint for $2500 i end up getting there computers replaced they give me (as in the kids at school) the money to buy them a upgradable/part replaceable mac in return i get to keep 15% of that cash and that my friend is how a 16 year old kid like me who still doesn't have a real job yet is able to get his mac collection together Wink

my first experience with a mac was when i was 2 my mother who loves art had a power macintosh 6100/66 which unfortunately took its toll when a pram battery exploded when i was playing with a program i think was called kid art??? i know it was a popular kids drawing /art program and it was very colorful unfortunately i cant find it on the garden after that i got my first personal mac my iMac mid-2007 which i have to this day and used it mostly all the way up until 2017

MikeTomTom's picture

i think was called kid art???

Perhaps it was Kid Pix 2 - or - Kid Pix Studio - both are of that (6100/66) vintage.

cbone's picture

It's KidPix, the link is to the Deluxe version in color Smile

My take on Chromebooks is similar to yours, but if I had to get a new(er) Chromebook, I'd look for one I could install SheepShaver/QEMU on, a proper Linux-capable model with plenty of HD space and RAM as well as Basilisk II. That along with Android apps makes for a good machine since you can run several game emulators in both Linux and Android.

As far as the OS itself, I'd see the possibility of using CloudReady. I suppose the issue there is that it still needs the cloud I suppose Sad but if it doesn't (like you can sideload your apps like jailbroken iOS apps on iOS devices) I'd see what off-cloud ways I could jimmy-rig into it.

Google wants the world to point back to itself, that's the main issue, but there's creative ways to break-free Laughing out loud

the cpus fine for smaller tasks but when running carbonized apps in my jaguar patition the same apps in os 9 are faster on os 9 then jaguar and i need jaguar to run cs1 which is a mininum requirment for my ed tech Photoshop class due to it needing some features that were introduced in it and our school has specific plugins compiled for cs1 on the mac in fact that cold-war veteran teacher recently dug out a pair of these really weird round see through speakers that he said was from 1999-2001 from the Photoshop class back when they were still using G4 Computers i cant find any info on these speakers though the internet

it was studio now that i look at it as i remember getting a interest in puppets from it including kermit

Unfortunately i am gonna have to upgrade to puma (stupid teachers Angry) will pc-133 ram work need more ram than just 192mb

cbone's picture

Aw man, that totally sucks! Shock

I believe the speakers you mentioned he brought out were the Apple Pro speakers:

Are you able to use your newer Macbook maybe? And from the sounds of it, you need to have the computer in class so it must be a laptop, wow.

At least with no 3rd-party mods, Pismos can handle 512 megs of RAM, so that should give you what you need on the RAM side of things, but it means spending more dough Facepalm

the battery only really lasts through first period on the macbook (which is math support) and yes those are the correct speakers

i just installed 320mb using a 256mb module

and they can actually do 1gb using two 512mb sticks according to everymac.com

how do i plug these speakers into my pismo though or better yet my mac mini late 2009 running snow leopard

http://images.macintosh.garden/2021/04/24/Photo-on-2021-04-24-at-01.30.jpg
a picture of them Wink

cbone's picture

If it's cost-effective, the Macbook may need another battery that can last longer specifically for your Adobe Photoshop CS1 class and other faster Mac things (does it have to be CS1, or at least CS1? I ask because the cross-platform CS2 runs on Windows as well as Macs, and with BootCamp, you can run (an older version of) Windows natively on your Macbook, so you can actually run CS2 on both Windows or the Mac, as well as other Windows software, including Windows-based emulators, just food for thought).

And if you can do 1gb of RAM on the Pismo, that's definitely the way to go long-term.

For the Pro speakers though, you're going to need an adapter, and the one made for it is no longer made, so as a sought-after vintage item, on eBay they go for a pretty penny.

They have plugins compiled for cs1 so yes

So I got ahold of the source code for these plugins they are simple plugins for a pattern brush etc.,
And the textbook well turns out it’s not just my schools textbook but one of the state issued ones so I looked around on Craigslist and lord behold I found one from 2001 that I think would be compatible of course it’s a hybrid cd and no I can’t upload it because the software is owned by the department of education for who long though until the copyright expires

So does anyone know if any good music programs like Logic Pro 6 offer software instruments similar to GarageBand

cbone's picture

Okay, so if the Macbook can possibly be saved for your PS class, your could run PS CS1 in Puma in QEMU. So: in in

i am now writing this on os9.2.2 but yes besides the macbook i also have a late-2009 mac mini running snow leopard again is there any versions of logic pro that can use software intruments for os9 or any music software at all and can qemu handle 3d accellerated .3dmf files as well as heavy vectorized graphics

i did install puma but it wont allow me to update to 10.1.5 as i have explained to @sfpratt1954 it refuses to allow me past the destination check for hard disks when trying to update to 10.1.1

cbone's picture

So CS1 runs in Puma then? I take it that you're installing Puma on the Pismo. However, the specs from the CS1 page say that it needs at least a G3 Mac running Mac OS 10.2.4. Isn't that Jaguar and not Puma?

no i was talking about cs1 on my g5 imac of course i would never run it on my poor little g3

OpenSourceMac's picture

Since NONE of them are supported anymore, Snow Leopard is the obvious choice (with Rosetta). In Fact, since it runs TenFourFox, it's even the most secure for the Internet (as long as TenFourFox holds out)!

http://images.macintosh.garden/2021/04/25/Picture-16-copy.png

@cbone sorry for the confusion lol Wink

cbone's picture

no worries Wink I used to have Tiger on my first Pismo w/the classic environment and I likely had 384mb or 512mb. It wasn't adequate for video tasks, iLife programs or other RAM intensive projects, but it did just fine with Internet, Mail, Office and most programs in the Classic environment ran fine. Nowadays, I enjoy Mac OS 9 on my second Pismo, it's nice and speedy Smile

@cbone in the future do you think people will get big sur or whatever it is then to run on a chromebook
since they are pretty much both arm devices