This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
adespoton's picture
Restore floppies for Performa 410, 460, 475 and 550.

The Performa 410, 460, 475 and 550 are 68LC040 Macs that came with a hard disk and no floppies. They did, however, come with Apple Backup, which would create a Utilities disk plus a bunch of Hard Disk Copy disks to which it would back up the internal drive's contents.

I'm looking for a backup of the original System 7.1P3, like the System Restores published on the recovery CDs for later models.

Comments

BootSector's picture

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but the Mac OS 7.1.x (extras) page contains four archives which have Performa backup disk images.

Mac OS 7.1 for Performa is a specialized system software for Macintosh Performa. It includes the features from 7.0.1P (Launcher, Apple Backup/Restore, Performa General Controls panel, At Ease) and the addition of Macintosh PC Exchange.

MacOS71P.ZIP: Mac OS 7.1P mountable and writable disk images.
MacOS71P2.ZIP: Mac OS 7.1P2 mountable and writable disk images.
MacOS71P5.ZIP: Mac OS 7.1P5 mountable and writable disk images.
MacOS71P6.ZIP: Mac OS 7.1P6 mountable and writable disk images.

I'm not exactly sure what's in them since I've been trying to restore in emulators and it seems like the restore utility doesn't find a the type of disk that it's looking for in the emulated environments. I think we'll need either an extraction utility or a real machine to get the data out.

MacTouch's picture

I'm not exactly sure what's in them since I've been trying to restore in emulators and it seems like the restore utility doesn't find a the type of disk that it's looking for in the emulated environments.

AFAIK, "Apple Software Restore" only recognize physical Apple internals Hard Drives (SCSI or IDE) & can't work with images even it is inside an emulator... You can also look on this page & the comments. Smile

adespoton's picture

I should probably update that page, as there are currently two methods for working with restore files. As soon as I'm finished with https://github.com/adespoton/kaitai-applebackup there will be a third method Smile For now, that will only parse the files but not restore from backup.

BootSector's picture

That is all kinds of awesome.

Thanks for the info!

adespoton's picture

I’ve got two current methods for restoring those backups: either use SoftMac which does SCSI emulation, or patch the Restore All Software application to ignore the volume checks. If you need any help with either, they’re both documented on the emaculation website:
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5809
https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8031

Unfortunately, I’m looking for 7.1P1 and 7.1P3, the rest of them are already available both here and elsewhere.

MikeTomTom's picture

There is another way I know of for restoring those backups, by using Basilisk II. But it carries some caveats:

It requires using the "Build 142" Windows version of Basilisk II.
The host PC may require additional hardware: i.e.; a SCSI hard drive and a SCSI PCI card to bridge to the HD.

Build 142 has the ability to Read/Write to actual HFS formatted SCSI HD's. It can also emulate most 68k desktop models individually, including Performa Mac (individual model ranges).

adespoton's picture

Yes, that’s in the thread I linked; it requires build 142 on Windows and a real SCSI bridge.

I run a Mac platform, so I just use SoftMac in WineSkin... but soon I’ll just run my converter script. Yesterday I added the pseudo code for AppleBackup->MacBinary to the GitHub page; anyone with a bit of coding experience should be able to implement it in short order now.

adespoton's picture

Just a bump, as I'm still looking for 7.1P1 and 7.1P3. But also to add detail to the patched apple backup method: I edited the Restore Software application to NOP the check for a valid target volume and the check for volume size. This allows you to create a disk image of sufficient size, run the patched restore app, and it'll auto-restore from all the archive segments to the disk image. There appears to be a separate restore app for each version of Apple Backup, and they aren't interchangeable -- but within the same version, the patched application will restore all backups. Remind me and I'll try to remember to upload a collection of the patched versions to here for people to use in restoring backups.

[edit] All this time, and still looking for 7.1P1 and 7.1P3 -- which is odd, because 7.1P3 was really common; but I guess everyone updated to 7.5 and may not have created backups.

lilliputian's picture

Would this situation also have applied to the LCIII+? ie., No system disks, just a backup utility for the pre-installed system?

adespoton's picture

Yup. The III+ was essentially a rebranded Performa 460 for the education market:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/specs/mac_performa_460.html

I think the III+ came bundled with a different set of software than the 460 though; I've got the restore CDs for later educational Performas, and they're significantly different from the box store versions.

And I'm still looking for 7.1P1 and 7.1P3 if anyone happens to have found some old backups (or Performas) anywhere.