This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
snes1423's picture
MacOS 9.2.2 for unsupported macs not booting off firewire 400 hard disk

How do i boot this i am using the universal image but all i get is a blank screen

Comments

sfp1954's picture

The 12" Aluminum G4?

I believe that information only applies G4 MDD towers - not Aluminum Powerbooks.

snes1423's picture

Yup

snes1423's picture

Than how did people get it to work on the powerbook have without sleep or brightness controls i have seen videos of people doing that before

snes1423's picture

heres the video of it working in case you doubt it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glCo9j5CB8o

adespoton's picture

You should probably be asking that question here: https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&controller=...

Or possibly on the MacOS9Lives! site.

sfp1954's picture

The one he is using is from an iso which would be have to be burnt to a bootable CD I think.
I will look into it.

Still have a couple more G4 Aluminum machines

What makes that solution superior to running Classic?

adespoton's picture

Classic will happily run all software that has no hardware dependencies. As soon as you do anything that touches the GPU, MIDI, dongles, SCSI/IDE, or any other bit of hardware, Classic won't do it and will terminate. It also has issues with many games that require you to be in 2-16-bit mode, since OS X doesn't support those bit depths.

If you boot natively, you can tweak all these things and run software that will not run in Classic. Not *all* software will run; there's plenty of pre-System 6.x stuff that won't run in OS 9 at all, but there's plenty that does.

snes1423's picture

it feels more like running the actual os

sfp1954's picture

I still think you will need to boot from CD to install - but I will let you know.

snes1423's picture

sfp1954 any progress on figuring that out so far

sfp1954's picture

This is the installer from the video.
This has to be the ONLY system on the HD???
256 color mode only.

Link removed
(Please avoid links to sites scraping content from here.)

Why don't you get the right tool for the job. I'm sure you can find a G4 tower on CraigsList that will
run 9.2.2, Jaguar, Panther and Tiger.

snes1423's picture

I personally would like to run os9 on this for the 256 color mode so I am forced to write games and programs for 256 colors and personally I want the max experience with the best results for an aluminum PowerBook g4 maybe even I will make a Myst like game using some old tools or a port of a-dock and personally I do not care for OSX that much as os9/classic MacOS

cbone's picture

Definitely amazing goals, SNES Laughing out loud I know you can do whatever you set your mind to!

sfp1954's picture

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=2109.0

sfp1954's picture

Installed all three iso/toast files without success. One blank screen. Two blinking folders.