This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
adespoton's picture
Mac OS X 10.6 PPC betas

I've added a comment on the OS X for PPC page; https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/snow-leopard-on-unsupported-ppc-mac... is outlining work to get the beta versions of OS X 10.6 PPC patched up with kexts from various beta builds and Leopard.

Page 8 lists a "clean install" image that should be ready to restore for most G4/G5 PPC Macs. The thread indicates they haven't been able to get it uploaded here, nor the various beta build installer images. Seems like we should have the SLS PPC beta and the listed SL PPC beta hosted here.

I'm going to try getting OS 9 AND SLS PPC running on the same G4 Mini. Wish me luck!

Comments

fogWraith's picture

As far as I can tell, attempts have been made to put it on the Garden, there is no indication of a failure as there have been no communication towards the community here on the Garden itself. But I'll take the offsite post as a final and nuke both the file and page.

We can surely get a proper page working with files and such, though if there are issues, communication within the community is key. I have little interest in signing up for several other sites to hunt information.

Jatoba's picture

This is crazy news. And really awesome. To differentiate the regular Snow Leopard from its hacked-together PPC counterpart, I'll dub this "Snow Frankenstein", or SF for short. Smile Laughing out loud

Now, I wonder what problem they had trying to upload it here? Such an upload would be most welcome (both the "vanilla" betas, and the PPC hacks). I was going to argue they were probably struggling with the "file too big" issue, but in that case, they would have at least created a page for the files first, then tried uploading them. However, there are none. It seems as if they didn't try all that much to put those files here.

Also, SLS = Snow Leopard Server? Edit: Yes, double-checked it myself.

Anyway, I must say again, this is really cool stuff! Laughing out loud What a breakthrough! Good thing I ordered a G5 Quad again, and a s#!t-ton of graphics cards for it, just recently...

Jatoba's picture

Someone got SL to boot into the Mac mini G4.

Now, technically-speaking, people can natively dual-boot Mac OS 9 and Snow Leopard on a Mac mini G4. Laughing out loud No virtualization nor emulation! Never thought I'd see the light of the day that happened. lol

adespoton's picture

I've now got my G4 Mini dual booting into 10.6 and OS 9. Huzzah! The Leopard helper app wasn't all that helpful; holding down option during reboot lets me select between the two -- looks like the bootloader was added into the MacOS9Lives OS 9 boot ROM.

Jatoba's picture

Nice, congrats. Smile First mini dual-booting OS 9 and Snow Leopard ever, maybe?

The only issue with "alt-booting" is that it doesn't change the default startup OS, so if you cold-boot or restart from another OS, it will boot whatever was marked as set. Not a major issue, since you can just "alt-boot" again, but sometimes it is convenient to have StartUp Disk working. (Punch boot button then forget or go grab coffee.)

There's also a specific issue when using certain drives (too big capacity drives?) that prevent "alt-booting" into OS 9 with the patched ROM, but that won't be an issue for most people. (There are ways around the issue, too.)

adespoton's picture

Yeah; I think the general rule is to not go above 128GB partitions for OS 9. Mine's 30GB, so no problems here Smile

Unfortunately, due to Snow Leopard not doing a clean restart, the LeopardAssist.app fails to work, leaving me always booting into OS 9 unless I altboot.

It'd be nice to get this working though, as I usually run that machine headless and keep it in my server rack; I've been having to extract it, stick it on a workbench, attach a monitor, mouse and keyboard, all just to alt-boot. And then I have to physically go and reset it once I'm done in SL. So hopefully I can get the power management issues with SL worked out soon, so that LeopardAssist will work and I can go back to working remotely Smile

Jatoba's picture

Oh, big partitions are actually fine. The issue I linked to occurs with drives regardless of partitions or partition sizes, sadly. But you're right in that there are some things to watch out for when surpassing 128GB on Mac OS:

- Earlier Macs (G3 and earlier?) can't use more than 128GB from a drive in Mac OS (Mac OS X has a 3rd party software fix for that);
- Using Apple Drive Setup v2.1 (or Mac OS X) to format them past 128GB is required (earlier versions of Drive Setup are required to format FW drives, though) [EDIT: Apple Drive Setup v2.1 can only "see" a maximum of 190GB for drives that are bigger, so at that point formatting in Mac OS X becomes a necessity];
- There are boot problems if the booting partition is somewhere around 190GB;
- Norton Speed Disk v6.03 can't defrag partitions bigger than 190GB (if using an SSD, defragging has no benefit).

I don't know of any other issues. To get past all of these, I use 2 partitions only: a 2GB partition for OS9 itself (1GB is more than enough in most cases), and everything else on a 2nd partition for all files, programs etc. that aren't required to be installed in the same partition as the boot partition (highest I personally tested was around 450GB [EDIT: 2TB now], works flawlessly. Mounting a 4TB (!) network drive via AFP has, shockingly, also worked well for me, at least as far as I tried). If using an HDD, and that too bigger than 190GB, then splitting all that space into further partitions will likely be desirable. (Not our case.)

If I want OS X, I create a few more small boot partitions for each of them (and, just to be on the safe side, I avoid using Spotlight and/or Time Machine, as it is rumored they cause the BTree error in Mac OS).

Just throwing all that info out there in case any of it is useful to anyone.

adespoton's picture

So... here's my steps for SL/OS9 dual boot:
1. Download the SL restore image from here.
2. Download the OS9 restore image from http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php/topic,4365.msg30502.html#msg30502
3. Copy both to a USB stick
4. Find an OS X 10.3-10.5 install DVD (any one; we aren't actually installing, so "won't work on this device" isn't an issue)
5. Plug the USB stick into the G4 Mini
6. Stick the DVD into the G4 Mini, hold down the C key, and boot.
7. At the install screen, select Terminal from the Tools menu.
8. type "diskutil partitonDisk /dev/disk0 OS9Drivers HFS+ "Mac OS 9" 35G JHFS+ "Mac OS X 10.6 PPC" 35G"
Note: change the /dev/ value if you're installing onto something other than the internal 80GB stock drive. Also, change the partition sizes and feel free to add more partitions.
9. Exit Terminal and launch Disk Utility (this part's easier here)
10. Restore the PPC 10.6 image to the "Mac OS X 10.6 PPC" partition.
11. Reboot, with mouse held down to eject DVD.
12. Set up Snow Leopard Laughing out loud

Hooray! We're half way there!

13. From the USB drive, open the G4Mini iso. From inside that, open the Contents folder, and open the Macintosh HD.img file.
14. Select all and copy its contents to the "Mac OS 9" partition.
15. Copy the CD Extras folder from the mounted iso image to the "Mac OS 9" partition.
16. Open Terminal
17. type "sudo bless -folder9 /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ 9/System\ Folder -use9 -bootBlockFile /usr/share/misc/bootblockdata"
18. Shut down the Mini. It will likely hang at this point, so you'll have to hold down the power button.
19. Press the power button and start up with the option key held down.
20. Wait for the watch to stop spinning and select the Mac OS 9 drive icon (should be darker and inset). Press the forward arrow.
21. Boot into OS 9 and start configuring (some stuff from the CD Extras should probably be added, as well as some useful extensions from The Garden such as MacNFS 3.0p3, VNC Server 3.5.0, and MacSSH 2.1fc3.

Enjoy your dual-boot G4 Mini!