This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matt73's picture
Help needed please, changing system language from French to English (Powerbook 190) on 7.5.2

Hi,

I just got a PowerBook 190 but the system is in French - is there a setting somewhere to switch everything (menus, dialogue boxes etc.) to English or is a fresh install of System 7 needed?

(The only software floppy I have is Disk Tools.)

Thanks!

Comments

Franky233's picture

Hi,

I'm afraid that systems from this era are not universal like Mac OS X, meaning you can only install a specific language version you own. If you can, you should use one installation from here (1st archive, of course). Someone else should give you any useful advice if needed...

Matt73's picture

Thanks Franky,

That's what I feared. Thanks for the link, that will be very helpful! I'm thinking of using a CF card back-and-forth between OS X and the Powerbook to move files. I mean Mac OS extended and HFS+ are more or less the same aren't they? Now all I have to fix is the backlight for the LCD.. it takes about 10 mins to warm up and get bright (and even then it comes and goes of it's own free will), plus there's a line right through the screen (some graphics issue, fun fun fun lol).

Thanks again,
Matt

WhosIt.There's picture

For transferring files between old Macs and new Macs, it's always best to format the CF card, USB stick, floppy disk, etc. on the old Mac. New Macs can read and write many of the old formats, but the other way around can be problematic.

Unfortunately it's unlikely to work that way anyway. You'll almost certainly have to burn the OS installer to CD or create floppy disks so the Powerbook can boot from it. For CDs, it's best to use a CD-Recordable discs since older drives can have issues reading CD-Rewritable discs.

The other option may be to transfer the installer and then install the new OS on an external drive ... if the Powerbook can boot from an external drive ... or use an external drive caddy to install the OS onto, then physically swap the laptop's drive for the external one.

IIGS_User's picture

For transferring files between old Macs and new Macs, it's always best to format the CF card, USB stick, floppy disk, etc. on the old Mac.

I second this. It's the same way with old real hardware as well as within old Mac emulators on modern systems as well.
First step is to format them on the old operating system, then move around.
Also, I understand HFS+ and HFS Extended as the same format. Probably there are some expert differencies, but I don't know.

Another problem comes now with today's Mac OS systems that can't won't handle HFS Standard media.

Matt73's picture

Agreed, that's what I did just today - formatted the CF card on the Powerbook first, removed it then popped it into my Macbook (running 10.5.8 on a 'Mac OS Extended only drive) then it was a simple drag-and-drop to the CF card for the files I needed. Much easier than I anticipated.

Matt73's picture

Thanks Whosit.There, I had some good success though today - I installed OS X 10.5.8 on a 2nd hard drive in my MacBook and was able to read and write to a 2GB CF card, which I then used to carry over the 7.5.2 install images to the 190. Had no problems copying the install images to the PowerBook's internal hd, then installing on the CF card from there. Booted just fine off the CF card. Even the screen problems mentioned above seem to have improved! Been a good day.

Thanks again to all who replied and helped me out.

sfp1954's picture

HFS+ is only supported in 8.1 and above I believe???

IIGS_User's picture

Yes.