This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
sfp1954's picture
GarageBand 6.0.5

Should I upload GarageBand 6.0.5 Application?
If you upgrade from El Capitan to High Sierra the 6.0.5 update no longer runs.

You have to do the upgrade while still running El Capitan.

Comments

24bit's picture

Better wait, I would think.
Its true that there is a new app for 10.11 and up, leaving the older versions unsupported - sort of.
Same is probably true for iMovie, Keynote, Numbers, Pages and the bunch, but I did not keep every version,
so I cant be sure.

SkyCapt's picture

iLife apps rely a lot on shared libraries outside the apps
- installers and updaters seem essential, doubtful an app alone can help.

sfp1954's picture

I believe this is just an update to the App. Nothing more.

SkyCapt's picture

It could be confirmed if only the app changes. If the updater is .pkg then Pacifist, or pressing cmd-I for Info when running the installer, should list in detail every file getting changes.

sfp1954's picture

You can get the updater full updater in High Sierra.
Maybe in El Capitan.

adespoton's picture

It appears that Apple has pulled their Garage Band 6.0.5 pages:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1507?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

So yes, please upload it Smile

You should also add a note that in order to install it, you'll have to set your clock back (to 2016 or earlier?), as the signing certificate has expired.

sfp1954's picture

I don't have the installer (but I could try and get it via El Capitan maybe).
I just have the Application.

adespoton's picture

Hmm; the application by itself isn't very useful, as most of the actual application is stored in the library folders.

Protocol 7's picture

The Mac App Store version of the application will have everything self-contained. Any additional content like loops will be downloadable from inside the app on launch.

I should have the 6.0.5 update dmg on disk somewhere but it will likely have an expired cert (which can be fixed).

In my experience Garageband 6 was last usable on Yosemite. Changes to the graphics engine in El Capitan introduced weird colour issues where tracks and track titles were displayed with the wrong colour. Functionally I think it still worked ok but it looked weird. When I moved from Yosemite to Sierra I upgraded to the newer Garageband.

SkyCapt's picture

Expired certificates can be removed from install packages permanently with a trick.

reukiodo's picture

Please do share (at least a link) to make this more common practice.

SkyCapt's picture

Local link >
https://macintoshgarden.org/forum/snow-leo-software-update-pkg-certifica...

Protocol 7's picture

I found my copy of the Garageband 6.0.5 updater. I'm thinking the best approach would be to package up the updates for iLife and add them to the iLife page. What do you all think? I have the last updates for iLife 09 and 11 here. I could put all the iLife '11 updates in a single zip to keep the listing tidy. I might have updates for earlier versions on disk too, I'll have to check.

If Apple have pulled all of these pre-Mac App Store updates then there shouldn't be any issue hosting them here.

SkyCapt's picture

I have all or most upds for iLife 4 5 6 7/8.
When I zip them and unzip again, the pkg and subfolders lose original filedates. But if I wrap them in a dmg they keep their dates.

Protocol 7's picture

Most (if not all) of the updates I have are in dmg format as that's how they were distributed by Apple. So putting those into a zip should be fine. The pkg files inside the dmgs will have their original timestamps.

SkyCapt's picture

Do you collect iLife upds less than '09? I got nothing >= '09.