This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
snes1423's picture
Finally got a 68K mac a PowerBook 165 B&W

http://images.macintosh.garden/2020/12/13/Screen-shot-2020-12-12-at-9.36...

anyone know any fps games that will run on a B&W screen and has anyone tried booting system 6.0.8 (even though it is not supported)

Comments

Duality's picture

Is that one of the early PowerBooks that had the "ghosting" LCD panels? That probably won't be useful for playing fast paced games.

Most 3D games at the time were focused on flight simulators and combat flight simulators. You might have some luck with The Colony and Spectre, but the refresh rate of the screen might make them unplayable.

Might be better to play it with turn based or slower paced card games, strategy games, sim games, and the like.

snes1423's picture

eh used to using a passive matrix toshiba satelite t2130cs for the such

Duality's picture

Avara and the Aftershock total conversion might require color, but they should work on a 68030 running as low as System 6.

It depends on whether it can dither down to a black and white palette like Starglider II can.

MikeTomTom's picture

Also note that the PB 165 is NOT a B&W mac. B&W means mono 1-bit display, the PB 165 has a 4-bit grayscale display (16 grays). Which means that you could play some games that expect a 4-bit color display in grayscale.

snes1423's picture

What about Wolfenstein 3D

snes1423's picture

Doesn’t that require at least a grayscale monitor

MikeTomTom's picture

That game requires an 8-bit color or grayscale display.

The PB 165 outputs 8-bit grayscale to an external monitor, apparently. But supports 4-bit internally only.

snes1423's picture

Hmm interesting

snes1423's picture

What about a nes emulator such as ines

Duality's picture

I don't really know much about emulators on the 68k Mac besides PC emulators, and I don't play shooty games anymore. Seems reasonable to try those titles, if you happen to have any ideas of what else could work.

snes1423's picture

What games for softpc would you recommend

Duality's picture

Games that work well under a 286 with PC speaker sound. That's not an exciting combination.

I remember playing the original Wasteland on SoftPC, and it seemed to work with mouse drivers with some DOS configuration file tweaking. That was a long time ago, and I don't think Wasteland has aged that well compared to games it inspired like Fallout.

snes1423's picture

Will games with Cga graphics work like Lucas arts games or Sierra online games

Duality's picture

I can't say I've tried it in a long time! I wouldn't know.

If you are interested in AGI Sierra games like King's Quest III, the Apple IIgs ports had color, sound and mouse support unique to those versions. They are typically easier to find than System 7-friendly versions of the same.

If SoftPC could handle the IBM PC compatible versions, they won't have the better three-channel Tandy audio and they'll be limited to PC speaker beep beep beep. Of course the solution is just to use DOSbox on a more powerful machine which has those switches and features...

Same goes for SCI Sierra games and LucasArts fare. There's a way for DOSbox to use MUNT for Roland MT-32 emulation, which is almost as solid as the original hardware for 1988/89-92 Sierra, Origin, LucasArts titles. For 1992+ DOS games, General MIDI emulation on DOSbox is even easier on OSes that have a built in GM soft synths, like Windows and Mac OS X.

Mu0n's picture

I played a lot of Sierra games under my Mac Plus in monochrome b&w. Without emulators, just straight up Mac ports with chunky gameplay graphics, but with high res textboxes for the narration + text input + a few buttons in a sidebar.

Police Quest 1 (& maybe 2)
King's Quest 1,2,3
Space Quest 1,2,3
Manhunter: NY and SF
Gold Rush!

some of the latter ones may support limited colors, but it's been too long since I checked.

snes1423's picture

may i ask the guy mentioned doom does it even run in B&W 4bit on a 33mhz 68030????

snes1423's picture

I LOVE PC SPEAKER AUDIO sounds just like my childhood with a gameboy

soudesune's picture

You have a 33 MHz 68030 machine with a 4-colour screen from 1993. You probably have 4MB RAM which does not give you much scope for the software you can run.

If you had wanted to play Doom et al, then a Wallstreet or an iBook would have been much more suitable.

I had a PB190 back in 1996 and it had similar enough specs to your machine (mine was 25MHz 68LC040, yours a 33MHz 68030). Games that require lots of RAM or 256 colours or 640x480 will be a problem. Emulators will be slow and you won't have the RAM for them.

AFAIK System 6 may be supported on the PB165 with some special reworked Japanese system software. Have a look here: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/system-608-powerbook-140-145-and-170.
Certainly, if you can get System 6 on your machine, then you will have a superb PowerBook version of an SE/30 (and much faster than one too). You should look for games that run on the SE/30. Prince of Persia, for example, would be a super game on your PB165.

snes1423's picture

actually it comes with 14MB RAM and if he seller is lying to me... I've got a spare 14MB of RAM

snes1423's picture

i also bought a brand new battery for it from here https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2020-Macintosh-Powerbook-100-battery/313208...
so i should have a very efficient/productive early 90's laptop now