This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
fluent's picture
Can anyone here help me with a Commodore 128?

hey guys. i was just curious if anyone here knew anything about the Commodore 128 computer. I found one in a storage unit and someday (not that soon) I want to restore it and use it for gaming. I was also wanting to eventually "burn" floppy disks for it, or whatever i need to do to play games on it.

So, does anyone here know anything about it? Or do I need to join yet another community? Smile

Comments

Macobyte's picture

You're a little off-topic here but maybe a few folks can chime in and set you in the right direction.

First of all, while I have no experience with or much knowledge of a Commodore 128, if it has a 1/2AA clock battery inside open it up and remove that immediately before it leaks and damages the board (if it hasn't already).

Next, search for someone local to you for a recapping servicing of the unit. Old capacitors can leak too and need to be replaced before they cause chemical or electrical problems.

As for getting data onto it, I would invest in a floppy drive emulator that lets you replace old, failure-prone physical media with SD cards. That will probably give you an easier path from files on the internet to files on the Commodore than having to go through a middle-man computer with a floppy drive, etc.

While I'm a Mac aficionado, I imagine there are a bunch of Commodore-specific sites and groups that would be willing to help you out in detail, step by step. A quick Google or Facebook search will very likely turn something up. Good luck!

fluent's picture

Thank you! I'm not tackling this just yet (I'm still working on getting my first vintage Mac! It's shipping tomorrow. Smile ) but when I do, this is great info. I figured I'd be pointed to another forum community but it's cool that some people have some knowledge about this very cool computer. If anyone else has any good information feel free to chime in, but I think I have a basic starting point to go from when I decide to tackle this project.

Thank u very much, Macobyte! Cheers. Smile