This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
spideyfan1972's picture
Brother HL-L2340DW

I have one of these wireless laser printers and would like to get it to work with Tiger. When I go into the control panel for it, Bonjour does see the printer, but since it is so new it doesn't have a driver listed. Does anyone know of a driver that works or a way to get an updated version of CUPS installed? I know that more recent versions of CUPS has support since I am using it sucessfully with a Linux system.

Comments

butterburger's picture

Brother HL-L2340DW is a Winprinter (also known as "GDI printer"). It does not use a industry-adopted command language (such as PCL or PostScript). It is a peripheral for Microsoft Windows, literally. It is of little-to-no value for a user of Mac or other systems.

For recent Windows, the printer should Plug And Play using an InBox driver, the use of which is provided by Microsoft Windows End User License Agreement.

Brother's idea of "Mac support" is: 'If you agree to be legally bound' ', you may' 'install and use one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on one (1) computer' ', you may not, (i) make any copies of the SOFTWARE except as expressly permitted in accordance with Sections 2.1 and 2.2 of this EULA, (ii) modify the SOFTWARE, (iii) reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile or use the SOFTWARE to create any derivative software, (iv) use the SOFTWARE on more than one (1) computer hardware concurrently, (v) rent or lease the SOFTWARE, (vi) make available to download the SOFTWARE to the public, or (vii) transfer the SOFTWARE to any third person or parties by wire or any other means.' 'If you do not agree to the terms' ', you are not authorized by Brother'.

Brother's idea of "Linux support" is: grant 'User a non-exclusive license to modify, alter, translate or otherwise prepare derivative works' of a IA32 binary blob.

Of Brother HL-L2300 series (HL-L2300D, HL-L2305W, HL-L2320D, HL-L2340DW, HL-L2360DW), only the highest model (HL-L2360DW) is more than a Winprinter.

Use it, reverse engineer its "Linux support", or lose it. HL-L2340DW is a throw-away product for throw-away society.

MikeTomTom's picture

Well apparently, Brother does offer full Mac supported drivers & software for this model printer.
http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll234...

Downloads for this are:
Full driver & Software package.
CUPs drivers only.
Firmware upgrade.

Problem for the spideyfan tho', is the earliest Mac OS Brother supports for this printer is 10.7

mkhansen's picture

I just had the same wish, with another, even newer, printer (DCP-L3517CDW) for my printer, the earliest supported OSX version listed was 10.11 and I'm on 10.5 I thought, I'll just give it a try, and bam, the driver installed perfectly and then I could have OSX choose the driver itself Laughing out loud