This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jatoba's picture
Yahoo! Groups will be erased on 14 Dec 2019

For some of us archivists, one great source for a lot of files has long been Yahoo! Groups, and that is going to disappear soon. As in, deleted, erased. Vanished forever.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true

On 28 October 2019, no new uploads will be possible.
On 14 December 2019, the whole place will be GONE.

On Windows, people can viably backup Yahoo! Groups content locally with the trial of a tool called PG Offline, for anyone interested. Other solutions exist, but that'd be my go-to option.

I'll be attempting to archive a few groups in their entirety (not just downloads, but also messages), but there must be a lot of interesting groups out there that I will never even learn of before it's too late. So I'm posting this message to let everyone else know, in case you know of groups that matter to you.

I'll start my archival on 28 October 2019, since on that date, there won't be a risk of leaving anything behind anymore, as uploads will be disabled.

Comments

m68k's picture

What a shame. Please share the archive, once its done.

Jatoba's picture

Quickly bumping this, since, as of today, all Yahoo! Groups content is frozen. No changes should occur anymore. Proper archival may start as early as today, and no later than 13 December 2019. However, the sooner, the better.

Groups I'll personally archive:
- Realmz - The Final Bastion
- The Realmz Castle
- MetaCard IDE (MC IDE)
- SuperCard
- Mac Driver Museum
- Mac Drivers2 - Electric Boogaloo!
- WPMac (WordPerfect Mac)
- Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures

If I was a member with access to at least the messages, I'd have liked to back up The Fate of Realmz, as well. I'll be on the lookout for more interesting groups I can find while we still are able to.

All of the groups are Mac OS related (and some also Mac OS X).

Jatoba's picture

Only 3 weeks to go! Friendly reminder...

lilliputian's picture

I've downloaded my yahoo data for Wolfenmac and Wolfenmania, as well as OpcodeUsers, although unfortunately this does not include images, which I guess will have to be downloaded manually? and the messages I'm not sure what format they are in...

Jatoba's picture

@liliputian Did you use PG Offline? The author claims it also backs up images. I haven't checked the message format, though.

SolarstrikeVG's picture

I think the Archive Team guys have been hammering away at archiving at least some of Yahoo Groups...

Jatoba's picture

Reassuring to know, but if anyone is serious about a given group's contents, he/she mustn't rely on 3rd parties alone. (That applies for me regarding Realmz, if nothing else.)

Eitherway, I hope their archival goes well...

Jatoba's picture

Yet another friendly reminder, just 9 days until everything gets deleted.

Also, what a nice surprise, I was admitted to The Fate of Realmz group by now, so I'll be able to archive both the messages and the files contained within this group as well.

Jatoba's picture

For people trying to use PG Offline, I decided to highlight some resources while there's still time.

First, login troubleshooting:
http://personalgroupware.com/smf/index.php?topic=1318.0
(Some other pinned topics for troubleshooting are there, though I haven't needed them, personally.)

Second, official basic tutorial (covers downloading messages and whatnot):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4PIumS33e0

Also, something important to note: it seems that although the Archive Team guys will be archiving all that is public within Yahoo! Groups, they won't archive any of the Private groups, except for those whose moderators/owners request them to. Meaning if you are a member of a Private group, or you have just enough access to the contents you desire from a Private group, you cannot depend on the Archive Team.

One last thing: there is a limit of 10000 messages one can download from Yahoo! every 2 hours. If you have a huge list of groups to archive content from, there isn't much time.

If anyone needs further assistance with any of this, please let me know, and I'll do my best to help. If anyone is interested in archiving some particular group, but for some reason can't or simply doesn't feel like poking at PG Offline and the like, please let me know, the earlier the better. We only have 8 days left now, but I'll make sure to fit as many groups in that time frame as I can, if anyone has the need.

lilliputian's picture

Drat, pgoffline is an exe file...

Jatoba's picture

Tomorrow is the last day. Dun dun dun... Then it will be the end of an era.

cbone's picture

Thanks for sounding the alarm; hopefully enough was rescued by folks here and around the web.

SolarstrikeVG's picture

Rest in peace.

Jatoba's picture

Fuuuuu, they finally did it. It seemed like it took them a while longer than the original planned time, but now I also have personally confirmed all the group files, messages etc. are gone.

I'll first put all I backed up into a BD-R for safety, then upload what I have to their respective app pages here.

Edit: It looks like Yahoo! Groups isn't 100% dead yet, but is rather in a zombie state, until January 31st. It seems they hid the content for all public access, but people wishing to request the data of the groups they are a member of can still do so until that date. After that date, no new requests can be made, and the data will be fully deleted the moment the last of the requests is processed. Groups marked as "public" will still remain public until that date. (After that, all public groups will go private. Not that Yahoo! Groups will have much meaning anymore at that point.)

Zombie Yahoo! Groups aside, according to that article I linked to, it seems archivists are/were having a lot of trouble backing things up, because they set up scripts for archival, and so they were banned for botting. Frustrating. I have no idea how well or badly archivists have succeeded in their archival goals despite this, however.