This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
os9er's picture
Will 3Com 3C589D-TP Ethernet PC Card work with Mac OS 8.0?

Hi,

In a post in this topic: http://macintoshgarden.org/forum/best-linux-distro-powerbook-1400cs , I mentioned that I was looking for an Ethernet PC Card for my PowerBook 1400cs. I found a 3Com EtherLink III 3C589D-TP on Amazon, but before I commit to the purchase, I wanted to ask whether it would work with the Mac OS 8.0 system on that machine. Any help with this would be most appreciated, because I don't know for certain which cards will work and which won't. I've seen a web page that gives me most of the needed info, but it doesn't mention the 3C589D-TP, just the 3C589D.

-os9er

Comments

MikeTomTom's picture

I've seen a web page that gives me most of the needed info

Hi, I assume you mean the page with the driver you'll need for this.

If you scroll down that page to "Known Working", you'll see at least three entries from folks using cards labelled "3C589D-TP" reporting it running OK on OS's from 8.1 to 9.1

The "TP" in the name here probably refers to the network connection cable it came with, TP = Twisted Pair.

The important part really is ensure the card you purchase includes the connecting cable with the correct ethernet connection port for your network. Otherwise its an extra cost and time needed to track a suitable one down.

I can't vouch for this card personally, tho' its likely OK. The card I used with my 1400 was a Dell branded 3Com card with a 3C589C chipset. That one I can vouch for as being perfectly A-OK for the 1400

os9er's picture

Yes, I did mean the page with the driver; I guess I just didn't notice those "known working" entries, due to my not reading it very carefully. I'm going to go ahead with it and see what happens; I suppose I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope that I can get it working. If I have to update from 8.0 to 8.1 in the process, I already downloaded the update to my PC.

MikeTomTom's picture

Good luck with your purchase. I'm pretty sure the driver works with 8.0 OK. I think it works with 7.5 and up