This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
BryMD's picture
Vox 0.2.7 Yosemite Compatibility Update Released!

Hey guys!

I've updated Alessio Nonni's awesome Vox 0.2.7 to add compatibility with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite Smile

Why, you ask? Cause Vox 0.2.7 was the last no-nonsense light-weight hassle-free completely freeware version of Vox before Alessio sold the rights to Coppertino. Though Coppertino has done some wonderful things to Vox since then, they have also bloated Vox with background daemons and a freemium model making it barely usable anymore Sad

This is also where the problem lies. Vox 0.2.7 has barely a year left to turn abandonware, and Alessio published it under a CC BY-ND 3.0 license. As such, I'm adhering to the original license by distributing Vox unaltered together with an Updater that each end-user may use to add Yosemite compatibility. However, as Coppertino now owns the rights to Vox, does anyone know if that retrogradely invalidates the license under which Vox 0.2.7 was published?

Would really like to publish it here at the Garden once time is up...

Anyways, for anyone interested, Vox 0.2.7 Yosemite Compatibility Update can be downloaded here for the time being:

http://www.mednotes.net/about/portfolio/programmer/#vox

Comments

cbone's picture

Hey Bry,

Thanks for this very cool update, my friend!

I'll just keep my fingers crossed on this one. I know that as far as I've seen, older versions retain their licensing terms and new versions adhere to whatever new licensing terms the present owners choose for their products. I hope that makes sense! Wink

Jatoba's picture

However, as Coppertino now owns the rights to Vox, does anyone know if that retrogradely invalidates the license under which Vox 0.2.7 was published?

Pretty sure that not: once a copyright holder hands anything over to someone under a license, that's it. Those rules "forever" apply. What could happen is that, for some later version, there could be a totally different license provided by the copyright holder, and not the original license, leaving people "stuck" to an older version if they don't agree with the new version terms (this happened with the React.js Facebook-owned JavaScript library and was a problem for some years).

It's also possible that the copyright holder redistributes a version under multiple licenses later on, but, again, none of that can invalidate the original. Even if they stop offering that specific license for future customers.

So, with all that said, I think it's more than safe to upload Vox 0.2.7.1 (slightly more updated than 0.2.7), which was always distributed for free, the license allows it and it doesn't get in the way of business from Coppertino's point-of-view because they themselves distribute (Intel-only) older versions that don't nag the user like the latest versions (3.0+). Although one can help Coppertino by putting a link to their page on the description for users interested in purchasing the versions they sell, for Intel Macs. (Not applicable to PPC.)

With all that said, more than uploading v0.2.7.1, which was the last Tiger-compatible version and the last non-beta version before Coppertino purchased it all, there was version 0.2.8 beta 2, the latest Leopard (and PowerPC) compatible version. It does have some improvements and more features than 0.2.7.1.
The problem? That version is gone. No matter how much I use Google-fu and archive.org all over the interwebz, it's rock-solid dead. Some people out there in this planet probably still have it, though. And who knows, maybe there are some obscure websites outside the reach of the HTTP and FTP protocols that have it. The original filename was "Vox_0.2.8_beta_2.zip". The term "0.2.8b2" may be helpful, too (or not).

For anyone curious, this is the exact Vox versioning evolution:
- 0.2.8 beta 1 (Leopard+ only)
- 0.2.8 beta 2
- 0.3 beta 1 (Snow Leopard+ only)
- 0.3 beta 2 (first Coppertino-era version, still available on their website)

Jatoba's picture

Someone found the latest Leopard (and PPC) version!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/vox-0-2-8-beta-2.2194396/

Jatoba's picture

Page created: http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/vox-02x

BryMD's picture

Wonderful additions with Vox 0.2.7.1 and 0.2.8b2, Jatoba Smile I extensively beta-ed both of them 5 years ago, but decided to go for 0.2.7 due to some bug on Yosemite that was not present on 0.2.7. However, can't seem to remember what that bug was for the life of me Sad So perhaps they're both worth a spin again Smile