This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Leah's picture
Unable to find emulator for Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Wishing for 10.6.8 Snow Leopard or later OSX using 32 bit apps. Any advice?

Comments

WhosIt.There's picture

VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop are the two commercial products that allow you to run older Intel versions of MacOS on newer Intel Mac computers using Virtualisation. You can also use cheaper / free software like DOSBox, but they often aren't as polished or as easy to set-up.

BUT some old versions of MacOS are not licensed for use in this way, so the commercial products won't allow you to install it. The choice is to either buy the Server version (which can be virtualised) or go the naughty route and trick them into installing it in some way (which may not be fully compatible or even contain malware, depending on where you download it from).

adespoton's picture

VirtualBox can run both the Desktop and Server versions of 10.6, and can run the Server versions of 10.4 x86 and 10.5 x86 on Apple hardware, and hackintoshed versions (or with the EFI hacks) will run on Windows and Linux. Rosetta 2 on macOS might still support virtualization on Apple chips, but we won't know for sure until someone actually tries it and gets it working.

QEMU/KVM will also run them on Linux; possibly on Windows as well, but I haven't seen it working yet.

sfp1954's picture

On what platform?

24bit's picture

Just recently did set up Snow Leopard Server on Catalina with Virtual Box.
The virtual machine is working fine so far. Large amounts of RAM do help and one should keep an eye on the core temps, especially when GPU emulation has a heavy load.
SL Server is here: https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-x-server-106

cbone's picture

It does sound like a good project Smile what kind of RAM are we talking about (rough minimum)?

adespoton's picture

Here's my settings:

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Desktop:
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (64-bit)
Base Memory: 2048 MB
Chipset Type: ICH9
EFI: Enabled
Acceleration: VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging, PAE/NX, Minimal Paravirtualization
Video Memory: 8 MB
Scale Factor: 2
Graphics Controller: VBoxVGA

Mac OS X 10.6.8 Server:
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (64-bit)
Base Memory: 2048 MB
Chipset Type: ICH9
EFI: Enabled
Acceleration: VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging, PAE/NX, Minimal Paravirtualization
Video Memory: 16 MB
Scale Factor: 2
Graphics Controller: VBoxVGA

cbone's picture

You're right; I bet you'd need both the RAM and a fast enough Mac for this setup to run smoothly

24bit's picture

I would dare to say that a basic Core2Duo rig with 4GB RAM can easily run VirtualBox with SL Server.
Just do not expect miracles, performance wise. If you plan to run several virtual machines side by side, a more powerful host is recommendable, obviously. Smile

MikeTomTom's picture

Nix to a Virtual Box SL on a Core2Duo rig my friend.

It's a pure native SL JaS setup on one of those, for me Laughing out loud

[Edit] Oh crap I was thinking of Intel Tiger JaS. Time for beddy byes for me I think Tongue

adespoton's picture

I've got Core2Duos and originally had them set up with an old VMWare Fusion. Now I find I run SL JaS on one, and the other one's at El Cap, and never fires up the VM with SL on it (because the other is running it directly already)

24bit's picture

Sure, thats what I would prefer either.
I was using Nawcoms Mod and a SL retail DVD with a Conroe GMA950 board to get going.
Virtualisation may be the way to go when you want Catalina and Snow Leo on the same rig.

Could you share the SL JaS DVD somehow?
We do have a tiny collection of this sort of things here for historic reasons, so much seems to be lost already.

adespoton's picture

Unfortunately, I think I overwrote my JaS disk image with a retail SL. Unfortunate, as it was really easy to install without any hardware issues.

MikeTomTom's picture

JaS SL? I only knew of the iAtkos SL. I guess that would mean there's a JaS Leopard out there, too?