This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
FloppyMcDisk's picture
Ubuntu MATE 14.04 PPC OS 9 dual boot issues.

I know this is rather off topic but would anyone know how to partition correctly to install ubuntu 14.04 to dual boot with OS 9.2? What I did was make about 7 gb of "unpartitioned space" so i can select "install alongside Mac OS 9" which it did successfully. However it removed the mac os 9 disk drivers so when i try booting to OS 9 all i get is the floppy disk icon with the flashing question mark. Am I doing something wrong? Or could i perhaps install a second hard drive in my emac or something if possible. (sounds silly I know.)

Comments

devils_advisor's picture

os 9 has to be below 128gb as far as i know. if you install a boot loader you get rid of the boot code to start os 9. so a 2 hard drive solution is the way to go. you might end up choosing your operating system when you turn on the machine via the option key.

jonnyboy's picture

it's true - installing Ubuntu kills the OS9 drivers - here is my solution (based on some intense Googling)

- create a mini-USB OS9 boot drive - I just used a flash-drive with this version;

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-os-922-install-un-supported-g4s-fw80...

from Mac disk utility (I was using Panther 10.3.9 at the time) - erase, HFS+, one partition, OS 9 drivers - verify that your machine will indeed boot with this USB drive (and "see it" when you "option key" start)

***you are going to be using the Drive Setup utility on this boot key to "repair the drivers" of your broken OS9 partition***

Now to your main install:

-using a Mac and Disk Utility, partition your boot drive (same as above, but now with two partitions, one is "free space" for your Ubuntu)

-install OS9 on the HFS+ portion - verify that it boots OK

I did the following; the "install alongside" option may work also

- boot your Ubuntu Live CD

-choose "something else", in the free space you created, allocate a partition for your boot sector New World (i.e.. Yaboot) and space for your Swap (I added New World at the beginning, swap at the end - not sure it matters)

-run installer (verify that it boots of course)

-assuming that OS9 is broken again, you now boot into your pre-made OS 9 USB, launch Drive Setup (..it may see your OS9 drive as unallocated space..) - select it (highlight it), and select "Repair Drivers" from a menu item (cannot recall which menu, sorry)

this worked for me ... my Powerbook Titanium now has Ubuntu 12.04 LTS/PPC, OS X 10.4.11, and OS 9.2.2 coexisting peacefully on a 300 gb IDE drive ... good luck

FloppyMcDisk's picture

Ah! That did the trick. Thanks :3

jonnyboy's picture

glad it worked for you = enjoy!! ... and keep us all posted on other related successes/failures - for instance (assuming you must be on a machine of age comparable to my TBook) how you connect to the internets (wirelessly or otherwise) ... see my other post here

http://macintoshgarden.org/forum/airport-card-firmware

themacmeister's picture

I do the same from retail OS9 install CD. Worked a treat on old-world ROM machines too.

jonnyboy's picture

that makes sense - I tried repeatedly to boot (after installing Ubuntu) into OS 9 with various disks I own - but I think that when I made them (or copied them) I must have formatted them incorrectly (not HFS maybe?)

but if you have something (disk or USB or firewire) that is formatted correctly the Drive Setup/"repair drivers" works like a charm

on a related note, the "repair drivers" functionality in:

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/fwb-hard-disk-toolkit-452

did NOT work (for me anyway) - perhaps it installs different drivers, OS 8 perhaps?

themacmeister's picture

As a matter of interest, could you tell me how Mate 14.04 runs on your hardware.

I tried Debian on my G5 PowerMac (dual 2.5GHz liquid cooled) and getting hardware acceleration working on my 9600XT was an effort in futility. Without accelerated 3D, the system was very stable.