This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rick Dangerous's picture
Trying to get soundtrack working on Tempest 2000

So this Zip file includes the soundtrack CD; but the game doesn't seem to have music, even though I check that the music is "On" in the menu. What am i missing? How do i get this game to play with the soundtrack on? Does it have something to do with the checksum5 file?

Please help! This game is 90% more fun with the thumping soundtrack!

https://macintoshgarden.org/games/tempest-2000

Comments

jkheiser's picture

The soundtrack probably uses Redbook Audio, which means the music was played with the CD-ROM drive’s DAC, which the computer then mixed (in analog) with the game’s sound effects. I don’t know of any Mac emulators that can do this. You’ll probably have to burn the image to an actual CD and play it on original hardware if you want to hear the music.

mrdav's picture

The game would have been on a mixed mode CD that contained the game track as well as audio tracks. The download was provided by MCP in the days when download size was a restriction. He made a Toast image of the game track only and provided the audio as mp3 files. I am not sure how to play the mp3 files so that they synchronise with the game...maybe someone else can explain. However, what we really need to archive this title properly is a bin/cue of an original CD from which you could burn an exact copy of that CD complete with the included audio tracks.

EDIT: Burning a CD from the Toast image will not give you sound from the audio tracks as they are not present in the Toast image.

MikeTomTom's picture

At a guess I think it would be possible to reconstruct a facsimile of the original, by converting the MP3's back into an audio format, such as wave and rebuilding the CD as mixed mode data/audio.

Some loss may occur with the audio conversion but it could do as being workable until the original is found.

Not much use if wanting to play this on Sheepshaver tho', as that can only read data CD's and not mixed mode. Unless Rick has actual hardware to run it on and not Sheepshaver.

Elyus's picture

Looks like Tempest 2000 was indeed a mixed-mode CD release.

Fortunately, mixed-mode support is coming to Sheepshaver! I've been (slowly) working on integrating old Basilisk and DosBox code which supports bin/cue files, and you can download an experimental Sheep build here.

If you add a .cue file to the volumes list as a CDROM, it will mount as a mixed-mode disc. The present build only supports one bin/cue file at a time, but there's a newer commit which supports any number of audio cds that I need to bundle into a new release. I've been testing with various games; the main issue with mixed-mode games seems to be how they handle timing. But if you'd be willing to test Tempest 2000, I'd appreciate hearing if it runs!

However, the bigger problem is with how the Tempest CD was uploaded to Mac Garden. We don't have a true image of its CD. The data was saved to a .toast and the audio ripped to mp3 and placed in a separate folder. Someone with the original media could re-image, or we could try MikeTomTom's suggestion of recreating a mixed-mode disc. I just tested in my old Toast version, and I can't create a bin/cue file directly from a new mixed-mode disc, so it may have to be burned to a new CD first.

mrdav's picture

--> just tested in my old Toast version, and I can't create a bin/cue file directly<---

As has been mentioned in various other threads, Toast is not a practical option for making a bin/cue from a CD...ImgBurn under Windows is a trouble-free way to do it.

Regarding the suggestion of making a mixed mode CD from the Toast image and the mp3 files in the case of Tempest 2000, I agree it can be done. However, I am not sure it is worthwhile and, since it is not clear that the timing of game sound will be OK with the reconstructed audio tracks, I think it would be best to wait for someone to get hold of an original CD to image. Unfortunately, the original uploader of Tempest 2000 (MCP) has been inactive on the Garden for about 7 years so we can't expect any help there.

However, if there is enough interest, I can make a reconstructed CD as a temporary measure, then upload a bin/cue of it for others to test out.

Rick Dangerous's picture

That would be awesome! I would love to put some hours into this game but just can't play it without the music. Thank you. I am using OS 9.2.2 on a Mac 8600, but will be using Sheepsaver on my MBP soon too.

MikeTomTom's picture

I was thinking of having a crack at it, mrdav. I still may do so - rip to CD then create the bin/cue in ImgBurn, but if you've already created one, then you can upload yours for testing.

Tho' one thing I'm puzzled about is the MP3's are labelled starting from Track 1.

Don't mixed mode CD's audio always start at Track 2, with the data portion being Track 1 when viewed in an audio player?

mrdav's picture

Hi Mike. You go ahead and have a go. I am lukewarm about it even though I was willing. My plan was to first convert the mp3 files back to aiff files which is the format they are usually in on mixed mode CDs. Yes, audio tracks start with Track 2 on the CD.

MikeTomTom's picture

OK and thanks, I'll see what happens. Will be using similar method - convert mp3's to aiff and take it from there.

[Edit] it's up now. Seems to play game and audio OK.

For the re-build I used:

On Mac
SoundApp PPC v2.7.3 for the mp3 to AIFF conversion
Toast Deluxe v4.1.3 for the mixed mode CD build.

On Windows
ImgBurn v2.5.0 for the rip to bin/cue files.

Tested by burning bin/cue back to CD-RW and this played OK on my eMac G4

MikeTomTom's picture

Fortunately, mixed-mode support is coming to Sheepshaver! I've been (slowly) working on integrating old Basilisk and DosBox code which supports bin/cue files

This is indeed welcome news, thank you. I wish you success in getting this much desired feature to work in SheepShaver.

Elyus's picture

Thanks! I'm hopeful this and a couple other useful features, like speed control, can be integrated into SheepShaver going forward. It really is a powerful emulator, just has a few rough edges.

Also thanks for rebuilding the disc! I was worried it might not work, but I'm relieved to know there's a way to restore mixed-mode discs in cases like this one. I loaded up the bin/cue in Sheepshaver, and even though the game runs and plays its CD audio, the game is way too fast. I've noticed mixed-mode discs have this problem in general, and I'm wondering if they somehow slave the game clock to the CD drive speed. It's probably worth more investigation to see if we can get such games emulating properly.

Rick Dangerous's picture

Thanks guys; really appreciate your hard work on this one. Going to burn a copy today and see how it works!

Rick Dangerous's picture

No luck sadly, burned the Bin/Cue today and tried it out. Just as before, the game installs, but no music. Game and audio CD appear as separate items on my desktop in 9.2.2. Any other thoughts to get this one working?

EDIT: I even tried to play the music separately, like in an audio player, and it said "CD no longer present or something like that."

MikeTomTom's picture

I dunno with this one, Rick.

I burned the bin/cue I created back to CD using ImgBurn

The game and music both play OK on my G4 eMac running Mac OS 9.2.2

MikeTomTom's picture

I've double checked by DL the zip from here, its MD5 sum matches what I uploaded originally.

Using ImgBurn, I burned the DL to a CD-RW (so as not to waste CD write-once blanks).

The resulting audio & game plays fine for me in my G4 with Mac OS 9.2.2

"Game and audio CD appear as separate items on my desktop in 9.2.2 " <-- This is normal for mixed mode CD's containing data + audio tracks, when mounted on classic Mac OS desktops.

"tried to play the music separately, like in an audio player " <-- Track 1 in an audio player will be the data track. Audio in mixed mode CD's begin at track 2. Start playing the audio from track 2 onwards.

Anyway, the DL from the MG and burnt to CD, plays OK here. There must be some other issue at hand, as there's nothing amiss with this bin/cue that I can detect from my side.

Rick Dangerous's picture

Thanks Mike! I'll try it on my G4 as well to see if it works over there Smile