This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
longboarder241's picture
Trying to find a good avi and flac player for my 10.2 Puma imac g3 dv

So today I just got my hands on someones old imac. The hd was upgraded to a 32 gig and the ram was upgraded to support 500mbs. The only thing now since I mainly got it for audio and video playback is to find a good flac player and avi player. I tried a sample video with the xvid codec playing evangelion in 640x480 and it seemed to have really bad trouble keeping the video matching with the audio and when I tried moving amadeus and moreamp from my linux pc amadeus kept on saying there was a bug and moreamp kept on immediately closing. Maybe they had to be archived a special way to avoid corruption, I really dont know. If anyone has a build of those that wouldnt auto crash or knows a better app Please tell me, itd really help out. I got the files for classic mode to work if anyone was wondering btw. Thanks and regards,
Thomas

Comments

Jatoba's picture

I was about to recommend MoreAmp (Classic Mac OS) to be run under 10.2's Classic, but you already tried that or did you try MoreAmp designed for some other host OS? I got a bit confused with the wording there.

To my knowledge, MoreAmp is the only pre-OS-X program capable of playing .flac audio files. As for OS X, I'm sure Tiger and Leopard are full of options (Perian?), but I don't know of anything for anything OS X earlier than Tiger. Sad Sorry.

For .avi, do you think there's a super early version of VLC Media Player somewhere in their archives?

longboarder241's picture

It said something about it being a carbon sdk idk what that means tho

Jatoba's picture

Apps made with the Carbon SDK are called "Carbon Apps". Those apps can run on Mac OS 9 and X. For Mac OS X, Carbon apps have the advantage that they don't require Classic to run, meaning even 10.5 Leopard (which lacks Classic) can often run them.

If MoreAmp is a Carbon app, that means it was being attempted to run as a native app, instead of as a Classic app. If it doesn't work natively (perhaps because it could be intended for 10.4 Tiger and 10.5 Leopard), try running it with Classic.

I think there was a way to force Carbon apps to run under Classic, at least. Not that I have ever done so myself. Hopefully someone who knows better can correct me on this one, or in case I'm not mistaken about it, how to make it run under Classic.

longboarder241's picture

That clears up a lot, I guess now its up to finding out how to force carbon apps to run in classic mode.

Jatoba's picture

Looks like it's likely going to be easy: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20020531085533642

See if a "Open in the Classic Environment." checkbox is available to be clicked on when you select MoreAmp and use the "Get Info" function (shortcut: Command key + I). Else there may be further steps to attempt.

Hope it works.

longboarder241's picture

I tried it and got amadeus and moreamp to run. Thanks!

MikeTomTom's picture

10.2 is Jaguar, not Puma. Puma is 10.1 - Which do you have?

longboarder241's picture

Jaguar, sorry...

MikeTomTom's picture

You should find early versions of VLC that will run on Jaguar. Probably version 0.7.2 or 0.8.x or thereabouts. Tho' VLC may struggle on G3 cpu's.

Early versions of MPlayer for OSX may work, too... (I don't have any links offhand for the early versions)

longboarder241's picture

Also just thought of this, would it be possible to get an early version of java runtime then find a flac player that runs through runtime? Edit: I tried jLgui3.0.zip and it gives an error saying the package doesnt contain a main class

MikeTomTom's picture

It seems as tho' VLC version 0.8.4a is the final to run under Jaguar Mac OS X.

VLC has had both decode and encode FLAC support built-in since version 0.7, so you should be good to go with this one. Audio playback with this version should be OK.

Jatoba's picture

Two birds with one stone. Perfect solution.

longboarder241's picture

I tried 0.8.4 and it seems to auto close but 0.8.2 works fine. I tried playing back avi after installing the divx codec and it certainly works but the lag is so bad that it goes to 1 frame per every three seconds

MikeTomTom's picture

Good, you found a version that works. I did mention that VLC should be OK for audio, but video playback may be an issue. Did you read the "README.MacOSX.rtf" doc that comes with it?
Specifically section 4:

4. The video is choppy! It's like we're dropping frames.

That's the normal behavior when the CPU isn't fast enough to decode all the frames. Though there is some room for improvement, don't ever expect VLC to be able to decode MPEG-2 streams or high resolution DivX on a low-end G3 machine.

If you experience problems playing DivX/Xvid then you can try the following:
- Open the preferences.
- Now go to the Modules part of the preferences.
- Select decoder and then 'ffmpeg'
- Enable 'hurry up' -> click 'Save'

I don't think a G3 iMac will be able to play back fullscreen modern video at acceptable frame rates, so YMMV there.

longboarder241's picture

most likely you are right but I think before I throw avi out the window Im gonna try and upgrade it to a gb of ram

BryMD's picture

Can't speak for 10.2 Jaguar, as I upgraded my iMac DV SE straight from OS 9 to 10.3 Panther back in the day. However, remember clearly that ONLY MPlayer was able to play DivX movies smoothly in fullscreen. Just a heads up Wink

Edit: Also certain point-releases of MPlayer were able to handle fullscreen better than others, but can't seem to remember which point-release I ended up with back then...

BryMD's picture

Another option is to downgrade to OS 9 and install BTV Pro 5.4 (with DivX and XVid extensions), as BTV plays AVI movies FLAWLESSLY in fullscreen on OS 9 WITHOUT having to deal with conversion. BTV doesn't respect aspect ratio in fullscreen though, so time to dig up those old movies in 4:3 Wink

MikeTomTom's picture

I found a couple of early MPlayer OS X versions that might be OK for your G3 iMac