This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
hseiken's picture
System 6.0.8 and System Folder (fonts and more...)

I apologize for any dumb questions in advance as I have never been or have had a chance to be a Mac user, so it's interesting starting at the beginning with a Mac Plus, but I do have some issues that I cannot figure out with the System Folder.

Being a windows user and familiar with Linux (and computers in general), I know that anything labeled system is 'touchy'. That said, it seems as if the OS is not operating as intended as when I go into the system folder and attempt to open anything, it's all claiming to be used or unavailable. However, this doesn't seem to be in the intended operation...

Case in point, the entire reason I'm even poking around the system folder is that I installed HyperCard 2.5 and each time it's run, it claims there is not a single palatino font file installed for any of the sizes. While this doesn't really hinder actual operation of Hypercard, it does make a good amount of cards display wrong, not to mention the error that pops up each time it's run.

While perusing the internet for help with the issue, I ran a page that said one can see what fonts are installed by opening DA Handler. However, it and every other system program in that folder says the file is missing or in use already. I'm not sure what to do about this as all i want to do is see if those fonts are there and if they're not then install them.

Any help would be appreciated. As I said, I'm new to the mac world in general, so be gentle. Smile

Comments

MikeTomTom's picture

For SSW 6.0.8 and earlier, Fonts (& DA's) had to be installed by using the utility program "Font/DA Mover". This utility will be located in a folder on one of the System install disks.

Use that program to view installed fonts/DA's and to install/remove fonts/DA's from the System.

HyperCard supplied it's required fonts (at least it did with version 2.3) as part of its install set, so those missing fonts shouldn't be too difficult to locate and install.

Systems 6.0.7 & 6.0.8 also had the ability to use TrueType fonts, with the aid of a TrueType INIT and an updated "Font/DA Mover". You can find software such as the mover and the INIT plus TT fonts for those Systems, via this old Apple Software Updates mirror.

hseiken's picture

Is the TrueType format identical to the one in use today? And is there a memory limit to a single font (other than obvoiusly the ability to store it on disk!)

hseiken's picture

Okay, I was away from Vmac when writing the OP. I've examined everything and I see now where I was confused...

1.) I was mistaking DA Handler to actually be the DA Mover program. Woops!
2.) I'm actually using HyperCard version 2.3.5. I think I said 5 because it's the last digit and I knew I didn't recognize a 2....again I wasn't near the installation at the time of writing.

So I looked at your instructions, I found the DA Mover, it works fine. However, in the Hypercard installation disks I have for 2.3.5, there doesn't seem to be anything that just features fonts to install. Every disk has what I assume is an archived/compressed file that only the installer can read. Are these files able to be opened by DA Mover to find the font? Should I have DA Mover accessible while installing HyperCard?

I also read I can remove the checking of those fonts somehow by changing the script on the home card, which is likely what I'll end up doing... haha...

MikeTomTom's picture

Is the TrueType format identical to the one in use today? And is there a memory limit to a single font

Yes and yes. Fonts occupy System memory at bootup, the more fonts you have the more RAM the System needs...

HyperCard 2.3.5 is overkill for a Mac Plus running SSW 6.x and earlier. A nice HyperCard for this System is HyperCard 2.1 - and it does include the HyperCard fonts.

If you wish to run a Mac OS earlier than 6.0.5, then you will need an even earlier version of HyperCard (also archived here).

I also recommend that you try a custom Variation build of Mini vMac and obtain a Mac II variation build. This can give you color (if you want color) a larger display and access to 8MB RAM, plus the ability to run those very early Mac OS's (as far back as 2.0).

— Note: The Mac II variation requires a Mac II ROM ("Since a Macintosh II can be hard to find, the Macintosh II emulator will accept the ROM from Macintosh IIx. The Macintosh IIx ROM appears to work with Macintosh II hardware. The Macintosh IIcx, the Macintosh II FDHD, and the Macintosh SE/30 all have the same ROM as the Macintosh IIx." - quote from Mini vMac site).

WhosIt.There's picture

Installers will usually add any non-standard fonts they require by themselves, but otherwise just assume that all the standard System fonts are already installed. I can't remember if Palatino is a standard Sytem 6 font (I think it was), but if it was then it should have been installed by the OS installer.

hseiken's picture

THat makes sense to downgrade for 6 since half the home stacks are all about features that you can only use on system 7. :3 I might try a macII at some point, but I'm not especially interested in going color. I kinda like the lack of color on the original macs. There's something about it...