This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

87 posts / 0 new
Last post
m68k's picture
[Solved] Serial Nr. for SoftWindow 1.0.3

Hello Folks,

is there any change to get a working password/serial nr. for SoftWindows 1.0.3/68k?

[Edit] The serial for version 1.0.3 was solved by PowerMax <-- with thanks from us all (and included now on that page).

Comments

MikeTomTom's picture

View the comments section on the page you got v1.0.3 from.

3rd comment below your own, in that page. The one given for v1.0.2 should work.
I see there's also another given for v1.0.2 in the description area of that page. Try that one.

Scratch that idea, sorry. I just tested them on v1.0.3 and they both failed for me.

[Edit] Issue resolved: See post above.

cbone's picture

Well m68k, your wish has been granted, ol' chap! Laughing out loud you may as well as gotten Willy Wonka's prized Golden Ticket, brother!

For this feat you have the A-Team to thank.. Mike finished the job with some encouragement and troubleshooting from the rest of the gang!

Then out of the blue, PowerMax swooped right in and puts some action behind his nomicker and delivered the goods to none other than Mac OS 8.1! Mike tested the serials PowerMax generated and one does exactly what you want it to! So now, where Alice's rabbit-hole will take 'ya from here, Lord knows.. enjoy my friend and I hope it finally does for you what the previous versions of SoftWindows and the rest couldn't accomplish! Wink

fillbus's picture

I've got a new sealed copy of Soft Windows 1.01. Perhaps the serial code in that would work?

m68k's picture

Nope, none of the old codes work (I've tested them all). 1.0.3 is a version custom tailored for 68040 Performa machines and was delivered with its own serial #. The whicked thing is, I found an archived blog about setting up Basilisk-II with a SoftWindows screenshot in it subtitled "version 1.03 running on Basilisk".

Yet no email or even a name to it Sad

Version 1.0.2 just croaks on my system by opening up an incomplete file dialog on startup and never progressing past that point. SoftPC w/o Windows works with networking, but only in standard VGA mode and w/o mouse integration.
MacPC (the successor to SoftWindows) works flawlessly in any resolution and with complete mouse integration, but got no network support whatsoever.

Its like I am being jinxed here, having to choose between an unusable emulation with Internet support and a usable one w/o. But someone, somewhere out there got this one to work and kept the secret to himself. Sad

m68k's picture

Correction to the above: SoftWindows 1.0.2 is incompatible with ACTION FileMenu and once I excluded it I was able to start the emulator. But using it with my MacPC disk image corrupts the Finder's palette and causes Basilisk-II to crash. It'll take me a while to copy over the video drivers that came with 1.0.2, but I fear it won't make it anymore stable under B-II, based on previous experience. Shock

eastone's picture

I have modified Softwindows 1.0.3 for 68k. Could someone test this version on the original Performa 68k?
Basilisk II doesn't emulate Performa or at least I don't know how to set the emulator.

MikeTomTom's picture

or at least I don't know how to set the emulator.

There is "Wish I Were..." - or - "Mac Identifier" to use, for changing the identity of a Mac (or Basilik II etc.)

adespoton's picture

Basilisk II was actually developed to emulate a 68K Performa... mostly. It will happily run all the P versions of the Mac OS; the only issue that causes problems is the lack of SCSI support in modern BII (which means Apple Backup disks can't restore properly). SoftMac can handle that.

But a Performa is just a re-branded 1993-95 Mac with bundled software. There's nothing special hardware-wise about it. The 6xx series, for example, is just the Quadra 6xx series with extra software aimed at either the home or educational market. You can select the correct gestalt ID inside BII to report it.

I've got BII running all the Performa OSes if you wanted me to give it a try.

m68k's picture

If I agree to sing Your high praises three times a day and if I submit Your name for succession to the iron throne, might You then be willing to part with the serial number for 1.0.3?
I would also name my child after You, as soon as I find a woman willing to carry my seed to term - but it may be a better bet, to wait for snowfall in hell.
In any case: pleaaaaase let me have that serial number (whimper!) Shock

cbone's picture

So SoftWindows 1.0.3 was a Performa-bundled software then? Couldn't/wouldn't the software/serial(s) be found in install/bundle CDs (I remember most Quadra-based Performas largely included a CD-ROM drive w/caddy)

m68k's picture

I read somewhere that they put them as stickers in the manual. Seems those folks at Insignia were truly paranoid about copy friendly customers.

fogWraith's picture

Correct, the registration information came as stickers and each sticker had its designated placement on the contents which were in the box.

As an example, here's from my SoftPC box (3.0 I think), don't know if that might work for SW 1.0.3, but you could always try.

m68k's picture

The format differs from 1.x passwords, so I doubt those would work.

m68k's picture

Dear eastone,

I can't access my Inbox right now, so if You've read my plea plz consider "donating" that piece of information to the Garden.

Thx!

eastone's picture

Hi, m68k.
Unfortunately my modified version does not work. It needs more investigetion in the code
but I have no time at this moment.

cbone's picture

Why did you need/want to modify it? What did you modify? I take it that it's version number 1.0.3 running within Basilisk II, right?

Sorry for all of these questions; I just wanted to get a little more clarification on those points.

Franky233's picture

Actually, I'm looking inside the software itself. It looks like it requires a specific serial for Performas... This is the message I get when modified: "This version of SoftWindows only works on Performas and this Macintosh is not a Performa. To run SoftWindows on this Macintosh, please call [...] to purchase the appropriate password." So, the software should be modified without a working code...

cbone's picture

Might that be a Gestalt ID requirement that could be met (on a Mac emulator) by either:

• Using Performa ROM with a matching Gestalt ID
  • A Mac ROM with a modified Gestalt ID to match that SoftWindows version's requirements
  • I'm just thinking these might be methods SoftWindows is using to see if its running on the right type of Mac; so by adjusting a Mac's identifier, it may be a way of getting the software to accept the Mac it's running on and allow it run; something similar to the way the Wish I Were and Born Again system extensions do their thing on real Macs.

Franky233's picture

Perhaps... But I know that Mac Identifier is not efficient. There is 3 resources inside the software about that. Two are named with "exotic" characters and are there for storing names and serial. Another one named "PCHK", meaning "Performa Check" I presume. But the main routine is inside the code.
I wonder if the software should display this message just after entering the code. And does a version not for Performa exist? Is there so many improvements from the v1.02? The code is similar, but there is some differences. Or is it a version 1.02 made especially for Performas? Meanwhile, I have uploaded a complete set of images of the v1.02 for 68k (without any corruption).

cbone's picture

Thanks for all the in-depth findings and new uploaded images, Franky; you're a marvel! Smile

I know m68k is sure hoping to get it working. I think he said that the 1.03 update fixes something that would make it run in his OS 8 emulation. Once he gets a moment to read these posts and test your upload, we'll see if he still needs version 1.03.

m68k's picture

What did I miss? I am so busy working on the last chapters, that I barely find time to eat (not that my belly fat would notice). I downloaded the new 1.0.2 68k image, but it would be nice, if you folks could tell me how it differs from the existing one.

m68k's picture

Thx for your code analysis, it helps me to make a judgement call, wether its worth to wait for a 1.0.3 serial #.

cbone's picture

Good Smile and make sure to test AIM while you spare a moment, too! Wink

m68k's picture

Why not use smIRCle? Its based an an open standard, still very much alive today.

Strangely enough the Garden's version is PPC only, but I dug myself a 68k version up from somewhere ... can't remember where anymore Shock

cbone's picture

Just because… (jk Wink)

I've only used AOL, Gmail and Facebook's built-in messengers before; but if I can run it (stable) on my emulated 68k, why not? I'm game!

If the Garden's version doesn't work on Basilisk II, I may ask you for a copy of your copy Laughing out loud

m68k's picture

I uploaded the 68k version to the Garden - just for you (na, others may download it, too Smile

MikeTomTom's picture

Hi Franky. I also had a close look at what the 1.0.3 installer does, and other than the Performa Checks and codes I see very little difference between 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 other than it requires a very special serial # which no-one on the planet AFAIK has managed to divulge.

I did place all of the files that would be installed by 1.0.3 into an archive with the 1.0.2 app as the engine for them (DL#3 on that page) and it runs OK. So, if it cannot do what m68k is hoping for, then I think that even finding a serial code for 1.0.3 will not be any better for him.

But, I would like to see a working code for 1.0.3 appear (because it seems so unlikely) - or at least some evidence that there was actually an OEM version 1.0.3 released that wasn't specifically for the Performa range of Macs.

Franky233's picture

Hi Mike,

Ok. That would be awesome to find it within a Performa package in this case. The file I've added can replace the one corrupted. As usual, it's at your convenience, of course. Everything like that should be replaced on every pages...

MikeTomTom's picture

Hi Franky. Sure I can remove the corrupted one. But I'm not sure which one it is, so maybe you can do this. It's OK by me if you do.

Franky233's picture

Right. I've done it, so... Wink

MikeTomTom's picture

Hey Franky. Cheers for that. Thanks.

Franky233's picture

YW! Thanks. And cheers for you too. That was really easy and I was thinking you should done it yourself too. But, perhaps are you busy? Smile

MikeTomTom's picture

I must be... or going ga-ga. I couldn't recall which one was the dud Wink

Franky233's picture

lol! Well, you could be very tired for now instead. Wink Take care of you and your kinfolk too.

m68k's picture

I found a PDF Blog for Basilisk-II on the net, that specifically mentionend SoftWindows 1.03 + it even contains a screenshot of the running app. So I know that someone got it working at sometime.

MikeTomTom's picture

Not a blog, rather, it's Marc Hoffman's old PDF manual for running Basilisk II build 142 on Windows.

Rather than use that tracking Evil Google Evil redirection link, here's a direct link to the PDF. Or, visit the actual referring page at Emaculation to get some background on the B2 build 142 setup.

SoftWindows v1.0.3 that the manual's screenshot alludes to (pg. 129) is the same Performa version that we have here at the MG. This is defined on the following page (130) of the manual.

I know the Performa version of SoftWindows v1.0.3 could easily run on the build 142 version of Basilisk II, because build 142 itself has no problem with running as a Performa Macintosh. - With that build you get a choice of about 45+ different Mac models to start-up from with B2, i.e.; you don't even need to try and fool it into being a Performa with "Wish I was..." or "Mac Identifier". You can set the Mac Performa model you want run in the B2 142 GUI, before it starts up.

What we don't have is a working serial to install it onto any version of B2, or evidence of a non-Performa version 1.0.3 SoftWindows, as yet, so far... maybe there is one, I just don't know of it.

I still think there is such little difference between the 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 versions except for the additional Performa code of the SoftWindows v1.0.3 executable. And that by running the DOS/Windows files that get installed with v1.0.3, but using the v1.0.2 executable to run them, will give you exactly what you would otherwise get with the SoftWindows version 1.0.3 executable on B2. And if that doesn't do for you what you want it to, then...

Anyway, thanks for the link to the manual. I have owned a copy of it since the early 2K's, but it's always good to go over it again. Here's some trivia, Marc's B2 manual was composed in AppleWorks 6 and printed to PDF using Print2PDF 2.2

m68k's picture

Sorry for that Google Tractor Pull Shock

Since you can't finish the full working install of SW 1.0.3 w/o a working serial, Marc Hoffman must have had one of those. Any chance to contact the dude and ask him to donate it to the Garden?

MikeTomTom's picture

I wouldn't even know if Marc was still on this planet, let alone still have his old software & serial # Wink

Remember, his book was published almost 20 years ago and he would have been working on it before then.

cbone's picture

Depends if he wasn't too old 20 years back (or if perhaps his family also had the Mac bug to understand and follow their dad's work all those years ago, assuming he a had family or he made time for one).

Folks tend to be very proud of their written work. As long as he kept his software library, and he kept it/it's remained organized, the harder piece of the puzzle may be more of locating his current contact info online and getting in touch.

But you're right: time is a killer… in more ways than one.

m68k's picture

If I had his e-mail I'd contact him myself, for obviously he got SW running on B2 flawlessly.

cbone's picture

Just remember to make the communication genuine; it's hard to put into written words, but get to know his book and/or projects a little bit; maybe something that stood out to you, something unique and praiseworthy and make a sincere compliment about it… just so that it's not an act at all, but a real connecting point. I usually make any 'by the way' requests for something a good while later, anywhere from three to nine weeks after my initial conversation. By then, my new friend will be more than happy to pitch in and help me out with my project… even if in the end nothing comes of it, I have, in fact, made a new friend that appreciates our common interests; like all of you, my friends! Smile

I've learnt that the hard way through the years that the fastest way to get a door shut in your face is to start relationships with one-way requests. They come across as very curt, something like, "hey you, what's you face? yeah, I need a copy of blah, blah, blah, asap!" lol Wink

MikeTomTom's picture

If I had his e-mail I'd contact him myself,

One could perhaps try the Emaculation page linked above, click the referring link to the Basilisk II 142 Guide and open the "Registering.html" page link, to copy the Marc Hoffman's "OS Emulation HomePage" link for kearney.net and paste that into the Web Archive's "Wayback Machine". There, go to the year 2005, March 24, for the last known copy of Marc's OS Emulation site. Then, click the "About Me" link on the Home Page to go to a page that gives a little info about Marc and has a last known email address, that (possibly) may or may not still function.

for obviously he got SW running on B2 flawlessly.

Basilisk II build 142 is not the same as the Basilisk II JIT builds or the Android variant of the JIT builds. They are completely separate forks from the original B2 project started by Christian Bauer. As mentioned earlier, build 142 does not have any difficulty emulating a specific 68k Performa model (to enable running specific Performa software), if you want it to.

cbone's picture

You know, I've heard a lot of good things about that specific build… what was the main reason it was shelved in favor of the Christian Bauer builds?

I recall it may have been due to something along the lines of it not being fast enough (although it very well may have been due to something more basic, like broken network connectivity or another key function not working at all).

MikeTomTom's picture

Christian Bauer was the author of Basilisk II that was open sourced, and further developed by Gwenole Beauchesne who was the author of JIT Basilisk II, which is the most commonly used forked port that we see running on Mac, Windows, Linux and Android.
And Lauri Pesonen who was the author of the Windows only, build 142 and is as you say, shelved. It's now very old and probably not widely used. Why is was not developed further I couldn't say. Though I know Lauri Pesonen who created it (and HFVExplorer) went on to doing other things, like having a paying career.

The only issue I've had with build 142 is that Macintosh software updaters that use Vise installers don't seem to get along with it. Other than that I, found it to be faster and more stable than my original Q650 which I used the ROM from, on the Pentium 1 that I first started using it with. And around 1000 times more stable than the JIT forked B2's.

Now, a 1000 times more stable is a slight exaggeration I know, so lets say I find it to be a very stable port, much more-so than the JIT builds and that it rarely crashes, ever.

I still prefer using build 142 over the JIT builds, although I do use both. When I'm using a Mac, I don't have a choice.

m68k's picture

Thx a lot for the history update, as I had no clue how convoluted the B2 version tree truly is. Shock

cbone's picture

Recapping, build 142 only runs in a Windows environment, right?

So is it possible to run this build on a virtualized Windows environment like VirtualBox, VMWare Player and possibly QEMU? I'm not exactly sure as to how QEMU virtualizes things!

I ask because if I can get something like LIMBO to run Windows 95 or higher on my Android environment, I could try that special build on my Chromebook!

adespoton's picture

It runs on XP in VirtualBox. I haven't attempted running it in WineSkin yet.

cbone's picture

Oooh nice one, Adespoton!

I think Limbo can also run XP; I'll have to look at that and go from there… but on an ARM, it may also be a little slow, though

m68k's picture

Don't even bother trying. Running Win XP on Limbo for Android is an excercise in masochism. Its just too darn slow for that. You get much better mileage with ARM Linux and a compatible B2 port.

adespoton's picture

I'd guess it'd be much like UTM on iOS. I can't get that to run anything more recent and heavyweight than Windows 95 and Android 1.0.