This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
SuperMew98's picture
Sad Mac on Performa 630CD

Okay, so a little bit ago I had removed the internal battery from my Performa 630CD to prevent leakage (it was dead anyway). I had also done the same with one of my Power Macintoshes.

The Power Macintosh had booted up fine after the battery was removed, but as for the Performa, it was the complete opposite. It booted to a Sad Mac and some hex reading 0000000F 00000002.

Can someone please explain to me how to fix this? Thanks,

SuperMew98

Comments

macjames's picture

It is known that some powermacs produce startup errors when the battery is dead. The powermac 6100 is one of them, woith a dead battery the first turn-on fails, but in the second attempt the machine starts up fine. Your machine displays the sad mac on several contiguous attempts of turning it on? Do you see any capacitor leakage on the motherboard?

SuperMew98's picture

Sorry if I worded it in a confusing way. I meant to say that my Performa is the one with the error on startup. My PowerMac is fine. When I had opened both computers up neither appeared to have leaky caps.

MikeTomTom's picture

These two in combination

0000000F
00000002    =    Address error    ->    meaning: bad System or Application

Possibly the System file is corrupted. Have you tried booting from a system CD or a Disk Tools floppy that you know is OK?

Could be you just need to have an active battery in place... You do have a battery installed here, no?

SuperMew98's picture

I haven't tried booting from a system CD yet, so I'll try that.

Also, I did take out the battery because it was dead, but it had been working fine for years with the dead battery in place.

MikeTomTom's picture

I used to have difficulty with this Mac model booting when the battery was dead AND it been turned off at the mains for some time i.e; no current supplied to the machine.

I also disliked this and similar mobo models for that 4.5v brick-like alkaline battery they used. It had a short life-span compared to the 3.6v lithium used in other Macs and was expensive to replace.

To circumvent this expense I resorted to using a 3 x AAA battery holder(¹) and used 3 standard AAA alkaline 1.5v batteries (makes 4.5v), and soldered the connecting wire from the dead brick to the battery holder + velcro on pack to sit nicely on mobo. Worked great and so much cheaper to run.

(¹) costs 40c each +P&H from Radio Shack <--- [Edit] was 40c at time of posting - it must have been a 'special offer' at the time, as they now have a listed price of $1.99 per item.

SuperMew98's picture

I could do the AAA holder like you said, but I don't really like the idea of keeping batteries in my electronics.

I vaguely remember reading an article about batteries in Dreamcasts where someone had soldered in a diode or something like that to trick the console into thinking there was a battery in it to stop displaying a "Set Date & Time" message, when there really wasn't a battery present.

I didn't do it to mine, but is it possible to do something similar to my Performa so it boots up without a battery in it?

Laurier's picture

Like Mike said or i had instal a 9v battery with 2*1k resitors to split the voltage in half for 4.5 volt
install in a small plastic box.

Reading SuperMew98 last post give me an idea;

I remember in VCR Beta and VHS they had install 1 Farad capacitor a pack of four in serie to keep
the clock time and program setting in case the power fail.

If you connect a silicon diode like IN4001 to the 5volt dc supply and katode of diode "the grey band"
to the capacitor pack and the battery holder the voltage should drop to about 4.3 volt about right
to replace the battery,it should work.

This is untest when i have more time i will test this in my Performa 6200cd as i need to replace the drive first.

MikeTomTom's picture

instal a 9v battery with 2*1k resitors to split the voltage in half for 4.5 volt install in a small plastic box.

@laurier: This is an excellent idea. Thank you.

@SuperMew98: Glad to hear your 630 has come alive again Smile

max1zzz's picture

I would be a little cautious about doing that, just keep in mind that once connected to the mac you will be effectively lowering the Resistance of the second resistor, so more of the voltage gets dropped access that resistor so the voltage might actually rise a bit when connected.

If it lowers the resistance enough to matter i don't know, so if you do that i would advise checking the voltage after installing.

Personally i would use a 7805 regulator instead, since they are cheap and will give you a nice steady voltage.

MikeTomTom's picture

I think I'll be sticking to using the 3xAAA battery pack. It gives a dedicated 4.5 volts without needing to think about it - easier for my old brain. Wink

SuperMew98's picture

For some odd (but good) reason, my Performa is booting up fine now! The weirdest part was I didn't do anything to it. I did start it up with an OS 7.5 install disc, but I didn't install anything to it. Could it just be that when I popped the motherboard back into place, it wasn't securely put in?

Laurier's picture

Glad it's working now,yes it could be a connector or ram card i wd unplug and replug everything.

Recently my G4 produce very faint vertical bar on the screen i remove the video card and put it
back in working fine since then.Smile

SuperMew98's picture

Thank you both very much for your help! Laughing out loud

And I'll try unplugging everything and plugging it back in again like you said, laurier. I'm also going to clean the contact pins with isopropyl alcohol to ensure that the connection is clean (I do the same with my NES/Game Boy/etc. games).

Laurier's picture

Yes good idea specially if you are a smoker like me or the previous owner !!!
And use Methyl Hydrate alcool it's very much better .

SuperMew98's picture

I'm the original owner and nobody in my family smokes, but I will use the alcohol you suggested.

max1zzz's picture

caps, caps, caps and more caps!

Check round all the little electrolytic capacitors on the logicboard, some of them are probably leaking
often when they have gone bad and started leaking they will not work when cold but work fine once they have warmed up which could explain why it just suddenly started working

It's worth noting that just because caps don't look like they aren't leaking dosen't mean they aren't, sometimes it just pools under the cap and isn't visible till you remove them. If you don't just want to jump in and recap it you could try heating up the the caps with a hair dryer and see if you get that characteristic fishy smell

The other thing that might be worth checking is your hard drive, a couple of weeks ago i stuck a random hdd into my 630 to format it and install Mac OS 7.5 to send to another 630 owner only to be presented with a sad mac. Turned out that the mac didn't like the format of it, after reformatting it all was fine, so it figures that a bad hdd might do the same thing

SuperMew98's picture

I'll double check the capacitors, and once I was able to pass the Sad Mac, I started stuffing and copying all of my important documents, in case the HDD was the problem all along.

SuperMew98's picture

Hi everyone, so I pulled out my Performa again and now I'm getting a similar error: 0000000F 00000001

I reset the PRAM several times, but the computer is kinda flakey. If it's not used for a long time and it's powered on, it usually turns on fine. But if I restart it or leave it turned off for ~1-3hrs and turn it back on again, it'll display this error. I'm also still getting the 0002 error as well.

If there's any possible way to solve this without using batteries, I'm interested. But if not, then I guess I'll have to resort to that.

MikeTomTom's picture

Again, I suggest as above, using a AAA battery pack.

As you don't like to keep batteries in your hardware, you could have the battery pack attached to the outside of the case, by a longer lead.

A lead from the mobo to the outside of the case through one of the ports at rear and the battery pack attached to a vacant spot at the rear by velcro (keeping the pack out of sight).

It would then be an easy task to replace those batteries without needing to access the internals, and any potential battery leakage shouldn't be an issue either.

SuperMew98's picture

I'll do that then, since I just found another Mac that I had done this to, and that had been a fairly decent solution.

taylordesign's picture

Just use lithium AAA batteries. They won't leak.

I don't use alkaline batteries in anything any more. Too many ruined flashlights, remotes, etc. Eneloops for devices that need frequent replacements (recharges) and lithium cells every where else.

SuperMew98's picture

Thanks for letting me know about this, I've never used lithium batteries and I assumed that every kind of battery will leak.