This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
tanaquil's picture
Request: BMUG PD-ROM original 1988 version only

I have a strange obsession with mid-1980's shareware. I'm aware of the many later versions of the BMUG PD-ROM floating around the internet, but it is the original Volume 1 (1988) version that is my holy grail. It allegedly contains back articles from the Newsletter, which no other PD-ROM I've found does, and would be more likely to contain old shareware that was later purged for being incompatible with newer systems.

I have an image of the cover trawled from the internet if that would help, but it is clearly labeled Volume 1.

Also, if anyone has any other BMUG CDs that are not currently archived here, please share! I think my collection is pretty complete but I am always looking for new ones.

Comments

mrdav's picture

->I think my collection is pretty complete<----

If you have any that are not here in Mac Garden, it would be great if you could upload them.

tanaquil's picture

I will do that! I was thinking about it, but not sure if anyone else shared my crazy interest.

ETA: checking again, it looks like the only thing I have that isn't here is Fonts 1995. I originally made a .dmg of the disk, so I'll re-image using Toast on my classic mac and upload shortly.

tanaquil's picture

Fonts disk now uploaded. Digging once again through the box in the basement also turned up Roadside Resources 1 (uploaded) and the B5 version of the PD-ROM (imaged, not yet uploaded).

I'm debating whether anyone would want the B5 version when this site already has B3, and if so, whether I should upload it to the B3 page or to another, separate page.

mrdav's picture

Thank you very much, tanaquil. Yes, please upload B5 as well. Put it up as a separate page to start with. If it looks like it is better located with B3 we can consolidate later.

24bit's picture

I think uploading B5 would be worth the effort. Space is not an issue any more with the Garden´s mighty server. If the content is similar to B3, I would add it to the existing page.

Off topic: The three cats are lovely, we had two b/w ones until 2011 - the third was grey striped like the two Tomcats we have now.

Daxeria's picture

I have an image of the cover trawled from the internet if that would help, but it is clearly labeled Volume 1.

I'd be interested in that image.

tanaquil's picture

Quick and dirty:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63491088@N03/26306985825/in/dateposted-pub...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63491088@N03/25702110114/in/dateposted-pub...

The quality of the photos isn't the greatest, I snagged these from an ebay auction (which I missed T__T) which included a dozen or so disks.

What breaks my heart is that all the other disks were Apple Development disks, and the buyer probably bought the auction for those disks and threw the BMUG disk into storage or into the trash.

pl212's picture

I missed that same auction as well. At this point the best bet might be to find it on the shelves of a large academic library and create an ISO image. WorldCat doesn't show any copies easily available, but often times electronic media don't feed into such union catalogs.

I'm especially eager to find Meeting Minutes and electronic copies of the Newsletter. In fact, the first volume of the newsletter was distributed as a MacWrite document -- it would be a real find if that were included on Volume 1.

What's making this item so hard to find is the extreme cost of CD-ROM drives in the late 1980s. The disc itself was reasonably priced (given the duplication costs at the time) but very few people had a drive to use it on. It's telling that Vol 2 didn't ship until > 2 years later, when CD drives were finally starting to come down in price.

tanaquil's picture

I actually tried ordering through Interlibrary Loan (drawing on WorldCat), since I work for an academic institution, but my ILL people, who are usually wizards, said they couldn't find anyone that had it. Alas! I will kick myself forever for missing out on that auction.

Maybe if enough of us keep looking, it will turn up someday.

gruz's picture

I have this disc - not the jewel case but the disc itself. I picked it up back in 2014 so it might take me a bit to find as I have a lot of games and stuff, but I'll upload it if you're still interested.

proof: https://twitter.com/gruz/status/503991488586715136

tanaquil's picture

I just saw this. Yes, PLEASE!

I had been meaning to report back here, but I found an odd bird: something that I thought was the original 1988 disk (it has the original jewel case), but when i opened it, turned out to be a beta version of what would later become Volume II (the physical disk looks different, I'll have to scan a picture of it, and the contents are modified up through mid-1989). I have been meaning to upload it (and will), but I was trying to see if I could wrestle the included newsletter articles into a PDF form, and that proved to be more difficult than expected.

I'll go ahead and upload my weird beta creature, but please do find your original disk and image it, I would love you forever. I'm traveling right now, but when I get home I can scan my jewel case, and between us we'll have a set. Smile

mrdav's picture

->but I'll upload it if you're still interested<--

Definitely interested!!! Yes please upload this. There is Mac history in there and it would be great to archive the CD image here.

gruz's picture

I had a heck of a time trying to make an image of this disc. The CD has the world's smallest crack at the very edge of the disc. http://i.imgur.com/3V3jsKy.png

The CD doesn't take up the whole amount of space on the disc, so all of the data was fine, but I couldn't get Disk Utility or Toast to make an image of it as I kept getting errors. I ended up having to rip it on my PC with imgburn, but I brought the ISO file back into Disk Util to make sure it burned a usable disc. Tested the burned disc out on an old PowerBook and it works great.

Let me know if there are any problems with the disc and glad I could help out! The PD-ROM is full of lots and lots of goodies along with a ton of newsletters. Very interesting stuff!

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/bmug-pd-rom-i-1988

mrdav's picture

Thank you very much!

tanaquil's picture

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Especially since it turned out to be a difficult job. Off to play with the download now.

pl212's picture

Thanks for helping track this down and uploading it!