This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
themacmeister's picture
Req: Hoyle Card Games 2001 (Mac)

I have the PC version of this game (files only, not the disc image), and my mother has been addicted for 3 years. The most recent version you can buy new is 2008 (which I bought). The speed and gameplay are far superior in the 2001 verison, with no bells, whistles, Hoyle Bucks, or other nonsense, with good computer player AI.

If anyone has the Mac files for this, and they run without the CD-ROM, like the Windows files do, I would appreciate an upload very much (assuming the game is not owned by EA). It was originally Sierra-Online Inc.

I just checked - it is Hoyle Card Games 4.0 copyright. 2000

Cheers and thanx (somebody must still have this on Mac?).

PS. I also own Hoyle Card Games 2003 Mac/PC, but it is a sorry joke compared to 2001.

Comments

themacmeister's picture

This is a blatant bump, to keep this on the front page of recent changes. Someone must have a copy of this game (also known as Hoyle Card Games 4.0 ) on the Mac.

edit: "(also known as Hoyle Card Games 4.0) " - "(also known as Hoyle Card Games 4.0 )"
- IIGS User Wink

IIGS_User's picture

I've to dig out this thread, because I *think* I own the german port of this one. It's listed twice in the Amazon.de web shop, it shows up as:

1.) Schmidt Kartenspiele

2.) Kartenspiele, 1 CD-ROM Doppelkopf-Spezial, Partner-Canasta, Schwarzer Peter, Memo-Karten, Solitaire, Mau Mau, Hearts, Bridge, Romme, Poker. Für Windows 95/98/2000/Me und MacOS 7.5.3

The production year is 2001, this CD-ROM has been created for P133 with W95/98/ME installed, and PowerPC, Mac OS 7.5.3 to 9.2.2

When the german version has been created in 2001, it could either be the Hoyle Card Games 2001 or an earlier version. Published by Sierra, it is the one with the Dinosaur character as an opponent, and compared to the US license, it labels not 'Hoyle', but 'Schmidt'.

themacmeister's picture

Yes, this is the software, if only it were in English!

If you want to have a look with ResEdit, and see if there are English STRINGs that match the German text, it may be hackable back into an English version.

Unfortunately, I fear all the text included in the backgrounds is etched into the artwork. sigh.

This gives me hope of finding a UK version by Schmidt? Assuming Sierra didn't bother with a UK version.

Many thanks for the helpful info!

IIGS_User's picture

True, it's not possible to patch it.
Also, it includes voices in German.

If it is the same game, we could create a 'Hoyle Card Games 2001' page with the German version listed.

themacmeister's picture

This is most definitely the same game (my Mum plays this on the PC on a daily basis, so I am SURE this is the game!). I have also played the previous version, and the next version (2003) and they are vastly different.

Create a game page for this, and hopefully, a willing PC user with the hybrid disk, and access to a Mac, might fill the gap.