This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
ristar's picture
Quicktime 6.0.3 Installer Not Working

I have been trying to install Quicktime 6.0.3 on OS 9, but I've been having trouble with it. The BIN archive both on Macintosh Garden and Macintosh Repository contain two installers: An SMI file and an extension-less exectuable. The Former gives a permission error 54, saying I do not have permission to install the application, despite being an administrator. The latter just gives me a generic "Disk Error" when trying to launch the installer. Can anyone help with this? Am I missing something?

Comments

MikeTomTom's picture

The installer found in the top DL file on this page works for me. The extracted ".cdr" once mounted also contains a ".smi" in a ".bin" wrapper, so you need to get through those to get to the actual installer, but it does work OK and install for me.

ristar's picture

That is what I did, but both installers gave me the errors mentioned.

MikeTomTom's picture

Yeah well, you need to mount the .cdr in a native classic Mac OS if you want this for OS 9.

If you're running SheepShaver then you can add the .cdr as an additional drive in its list of hard drives before you boot it up.

If you have an actual hardware Mac running Mac OS 9, then you need to mount the .cdr on the Mac's desktop - you can use the "Virtual CD/DVD Utility" from here to do that (or use Toast).

Once you do that. You should drag the .bin onto StuffIt Expander (running in a classic Mac OS) and get that to extract the .smi into a classic hard drive, then run the .smi (self mounting image). It mounts on the desktop and you can then run the actual installer from the mounted .smi.

Convoluted but this works.

ristar's picture

I have done as such - I am running OS 9.2 natively on my PowerBook G4 Ti and have mounted the .cdr using Virtual CD/DVD Utility, and then have dragged the bin file to the desktop and then to Stuffit, and then ran the smi, and then got the two installers, both of which had the errors I described in the initial post.

MikeTomTom's picture

You've lost me at the "two installers" bit. The "QuickTime Installer.smi" when it mounts it's image on the desktop in Mac OS 9.x, it contains only one item, named "QuickTime Installer".

Running the QuickTime Installer I get the "Welcome to QuickTime 6" splash screen and can follow the onscreen instructions to complete the install.

I can only surmise that one of the steps you've been taking is incorrect, as this is working fine for me and without any failures.

The only difference I can see in our methods of extracting the .smi from the .bin file is, I just get StuffIt to extract it directly from the mounted .cdr to some place inside of my HD. That way, it extracts the .smi from the .bin without leaving an additional .bin file behind on the HD.

My test file is the topmost DL on the QuickTime 6.0.3 page, named "quicktime6.cdr_.sit (20.82 MB)". It contains both Mac and Windows QuickTime installers in a hybrid image. Both Mac & Win partitions mount when using the Virtual CD/DVD Utility to access this .cdr. The mounted Mac partition with the folder named "QuickTime (v6.0.3)" holds the Mac ".bin" file, "QuickTime_Installer.smi.bin" to extract the installer from.

MacTouch's picture

I should recommend to not try to install this version as it could cause entire system reinstall. Just see my post on the page (comments). This is not only for the kind of machines mentionned. If u can try another version, install this one instead... Wink