This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Katie Cadet's picture
QuickTime 5 problem on Mac OS 8.1 (Performa 6400)

A few months ago, I bought a Performa 6400/180 with Mac OS 8.1 and I decided to load QuickTime 5.0.5 on that particular computer. Installation went well, but this version of QuickTime has occasional system freezes on older Power Macintosh computers prior to the iMac G3.

I tried playing the sample movie that comes with QuickTime 5 and it played very choppy and it caused a system freeze which explains why the 136 MB RAM on my Performa 6400 with the 180 MHz processor doesn't have enough juice to play Sorenson-compressed QuickTime files. Another similar problem is that the audio files being played until they are done a lot of times exhibits that same system freeze. Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

3371-Alpha's picture

The only thing I can suggest is get a hold of OS 8.6+ and upgrade to QT 6.0.6. That should solve your problems.

Katie Cadet's picture

Okay then! By the way, I have a recorded CD-R of Mac OS 8.6 that I will use on my Performa 6400 in the future so that I can load QuickTime 6 after the upgrade process. Thanks for the suggestion!

Katie Cadet's picture

OK! Everything went well with the Mac OS 8.6 installation! And I didn't even bother installing QuickTime 6.0.6, so I used the same QuickTime 5.0.5 version I used with Mac OS 8.1 and it shows some areas of improvement to the Performa 6400! I played the Sample Movie that comes with QuickTime again just to be sure, and guess what? No system freezes this time! Although I have one minor problem: Audio seems to stutter on Sorenson Video-compressed QuickTime video files, but that's normal!

Anyway, I did my best that I can to do for the solution you have provided to me! BTW, is QuickTime 6.0.6 an unofficial version? Just asking! But QuickTime 5.0.5 is by far the most stable version of QuickTime for Classic Mac OS on the pre-G3 PowerPC Macs. Thanks a bunch for helping me out!

3371-Alpha's picture

Hmm, I could have sworn we had 6.0.6 on site. I also once remember there being a category for Control Strip Modules, but that's another story. To make things even more complicated, this page seams to imply that there was also a 6.1 for classic. We might need to do more research into QuickTime, and collect more of it.

Quick question, is your Performa a 1st generation (601 with NuBus and traditional MacROMs) or 2nd gen (604/e with PCI and OpenFirmware)? If it's 2nd gen and you install a processor upgrade (and preferably max the RAM and add a USB/Firewire PCI card) you can actually boot it on OS X, even going up to Leopard if the upgrade's a G4. Might be an over kill, but you'll get the latest QuickTime on it Smile

MacTouch's picture

Just for remember, the Performa 6400 has a 603e with PCI, but not OpenFirmware. This one beginning only with the PowerMac G3 Beige. Smile

3371-Alpha's picture

Actually they did have OpenFirmware, but it was used only to scan the PCI slots and other minor things. The MacROM were used as the main BIOS though; you have to hack it to make it default to OpenFirmware instead of MacOS.

Only the PCI 603/604/e models have Open Firmware, NuBus 601 only had MacROMs. You can even see a video of a PowerMac 9500 booting OS X here.

MacTouch's picture

FYI, QuickTime 6.0.3 is to be avoided as it can cause a complete reinstallation of the system. So, if u can install the version 6.0.6 directly...

SkyCapt's picture

I've always found QT 6.0.3 was the highest version for Classic Mac OS, and never heard of 6.0.6 - when did this happen and where is it? Anyway, I've been happily using v6.0.0 because it has the needed functionality and isn't slower than v5.0.2

v6.0.3 is a drag, in it everything animates slower than 6.0.0 and I'll probably find performance of 6.0.6 no better...