This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
os9er's picture
WANTED: PowerBook 1400 Series Mac OS 7.5.3 restore CD in English

Hi,

I have been searching for a PowerBook 1400 Series Mac OS 7.5.3 restore CD for a while now. I know there's one on the Garden, but it's in the Dutch language. So, I am posting here to ask if anyone has a copy of the aforementioned restore CD in English, of which an image could be created and uploaded here. Thank you for any help that might be offered in this matter, and for making the Garden a place where these software items can be reliably found. Smile

-os9er

Comments

MikeTomTom's picture

On the page for "Mac OS 7.5.3 + extras" there appears to be 3 or 4 cd images for PB 1400's.
The 1st is the 11th DL from the top, named: "PB1400_WW.ZIP (207.61 MB)"
The 2nd & 3rd disk images are at the very bottom of the DL's list and are named:
"PB_1400_CD_DK1-7.5.3_toast.sit (410.59 MB)" &
"PB_1400_CD_D3-7.5.3_toast.sit (217.55 MB)" respectively.

Also in the page is the image "Special_Installers_7.5.3.zip (102.88 MB)" (7th DL from top) - containing Mac OS 7.5.3 disk images for WGS 7250/8550, PB 1400, PM 4400/200, PM 5400 series, and PM 9500/180MP.

I have no idea about any of the above's content. - I'm assuming the "WW" in the 1st disk is for World Wide (International English?) and the disk with DK1 in its name stands for Danish? But this is something you'll need to discover, as I am only guessing. Hopefully one of them will be suitable for you.

Good luck.

os9er's picture

Thanks Mike, I'll look into it; however, I had thought that the "WW" in the file name meant that the archive contained floppy disk images for all languages, and my PowerBook 1400 doesn't have a floppy drive... That's why I was specifically asking for a CD.

EDIT: The archive contains a toast image titled "International PB1400.toast"; however, I'm unable to see its contents at the moment because I'm on a Chromebook Tongue

EDIT 2: It says on the page that the archive contains "worldwide" disk images (which I assume means floppy images) for the PowerBook 1400 Series models. Unfortunately that won't work because, as mentioned above, my PowerBook only has a CD-ROM drive.

MikeTomTom's picture

No, it doesn't look too promising in that sense.

Any particular reason why you want 7.5.3 for this PB? That is, it should be able to boot up to any universal install CD of later OS's from 7.5.5 to 9.x.

os9er's picture

I just want to restore it to original factory settings, especially as it had 7.5.3 when I got it; in other words, I would just like to go back to what it had originally.

MacTouch's picture

Hi os9er,

I think u can begin with this file : Mac OS 7.5.3 for the PowerBook 1400 Series Smile

[EDIT} Sorry Mike, we are posting in the same time... There is a direct link to the archive above. Wink

os9er's picture

Thanks, but as I just posted in a reply to Mike's post, that archive contains floppy images in all available languages, and my PowerBook doesn't have a floppy drive.

MacTouch's picture

Yep. I guess u need a bootable 7.5.3 CD instead...

os9er's picture

Also, I tried the "universal" 7.5.3 CD image, but the installer on that disc doesn't recognize the 1400 Series, and as such, it won't install.

MacTouch's picture

Hard to find a specific version for this PowerBook. Perhaps, the best way should be to create a bootable CD, even with another system version, but with a fully compatible 7.5.3 installer for this machine...

MikeTomTom's picture

I'll have a go at building a 1400 compatible 7.5.3 install CD image for os9er. Will upload it within the next day (if someone can't find the original beforehand).

os9er's picture

Thanks to both of you... I didn't think that a 7.5.3 installer for this machine would be so hard to find. Obviously I thought wrong. Tongue

MikeTomTom's picture

No probs. Is US English OK?

os9er's picture

US English is my native language, so yes, thank you.

MikeTomTom's picture

It's here now (top DL on that page).

Its in a StuffIt .sit archive that seems to take ages to extract, but gets there in the end.

Lock the .iso as soon as you extract it from the .sit - I used ImgBurn on Windows to burn the image to CD and that resulted in a bootable image - so I think any CD burner will do (Toast, Disk Utility, etc). The system install works OK for me, too.

So I hope that it works for you OK. You are the beta tester for this Wink

os9er's picture

Downloading it now. I'm at school and don't have the PB 1400 with me, so I'll test it when I get home.

BTW, the system I'll be using to burn the image is running Ubuntu Linux, and I'm not sure how to "lock" an image in that OS.

EDIT: Figured it out, just had to change all the permissions in the "Properties" window to "Read Only."

os9er's picture

@MTT: The resulting disc could be read by the PB but not booted from; however, I partitioned the hard disk and installed a minimal 8.0 system on one partition and then 7.5.3 on the other. Worked like a charm, that way... Thanks again Smile

MikeTomTom's picture

Great tho' it looks like an original 7.5.3 disk has been located, see Fortuna's post below.

MacTouch's picture

Perfect. As the website seems to be not full of users actually, I think u have a chance... Thanks anyway for your efforts to try helping people. Smile

Troyd's picture

Probably a bit late to this but I have a UK Restore/Install CD for the PowerBook 1400. Rather than start another topic I added my upload here

http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/macintosh-mac-os-76

It will be the last upload to the MG server listed: PowerBook_1400_UK_7.6_CD.cdr_.zip

Fortuna Wave's picture

Thank you Troyd. Can you provided a high-quality CD scan for your PB1400 CD?

MikeTomTom's picture

Thanks for adding it to the 7.6 page, Troyd.

Tho' os9er was asking for the original 7.5.3 disk that shipped with the earliest 1400/117 PowerBooks.

Also being a UK localized CD, it will have various aspects not encountered in US systems - Naming the Trash "Wastebasket" springs to mind Wink

os9er's picture

That wouldn't be a problem, thanks anyway though Wink

Fortuna Wave's picture

Just stumbled from the web and I found this: https://www.macintoshrepository.org/6904-mac-os-7-5-3-for-pb-1400-software-cd
This web site have similar content like MacGarden.

os9er's picture

I found a secondary solution already thanks to Mike, but I might download this anyway. Thanks Smile

MikeTomTom's picture

Can you DL it and add it to the Mac OS 7.5.3 for PowerBook 1400 page please, Fortuna?

I have problems DL'ing from this site.

This web site have similar content like MacGarden.

I'm not surprised, they got a lot of it from here. You'll probably see many of your uploads there, Fortuna. Tongue

Fortuna Wave's picture

Just downloaded and mounted and ran on my SheepmyShaver emulator.

1. Yes! It is the original, untouched US English Powerbook 1400 Disc.
2. Compared to your "built" CD, the original CD does not have "Disk Images" folder. "Trial Software" from yours is "Demos" from the original.
3. The System Folder from the original CD does not have the "System 7.5/7.5.2 Update". Can't get to boot from CD with SheepShaver. Sad
4. The original CD has the "Restore Installed Software" folder, which include the restore image of PowerBook 1400.