This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dimitris1980's picture
Performa 6116 with VGA monitor

Is there a way to connect a vga monitor 14" with the performa 6116? I know that this model is made especially for apple audiovision 14".

Comments

themacmeister's picture

You can get a PC->MAC adapter for VGA. Mine has dip switches, and can only really be set at one resolution which is a pain. I have seen some without dip switches, but these may not give you "mac" resolutions like 832x624 (I used to use this resolution all the time!) Smile

PS. My adapter cost ~AUS$80

Dimitris1980's picture

What kind of adapter do i need? HDI-45 to vga?

grawlix.computing's picture

I have an adapter like the one themacmeister talks about, but mine didn't cost $80. Here's where you can find it:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040111&p_id=74

themacmeister's picture

yes grawlix - that is the identical model I bought, of course, I got mine from a Mac Store, so you can imagine the profit margin Smile

I also have the model sans-dip-switches, which I believe has a fixed vertical refresh? so resolutions are limited, and no Mac-only resolutions supported...which is OK when running a PC monitor anyways, and who used 834x628 anyway Smile

Dimitris1980's picture

I also found an adaptor for performa 6116 and i have connected the mac with a pc monitor 14". But i think of looking for another monitor,better. I don't care if it is apple. I just want to be 14" or 15" because i am only interested for using the 640x480 resolution (for games of course) and i would like the best quality for these kinds of monitors. For instance my imac g3 has a lot better screen quality than the pc monitor that i have. What do you suggest for my performa?

themacmeister's picture

Most (all?) 17" monitors do 640x480 (at massive refresh speeds). If you can find a CRT with a decent flat(ish) screen, you are on a winner. My new (old) 1.25GHz G4 eMac has the PERFECT screen for games - 16.5" Flat as a tack! (OSX 10.3+ only, sigh). Still, managed to get THPS2 running under Classic Mode first try...

bertyboy's picture

Funny you mention old screens, I've just been reformatting my old original 233MHz iMac for sale on eBay next week. Booted it up into OS9, OS8.6 and OSX 10.3. I couldn't believe how good the screen looked even next to my Apple Cinema Displays.

annacrasto's picture

thats a nice combination, you should also take a PCI Compliance along with it.

Dimitris1980's picture

I have read that the apple audiovision display 14" has a great screen quality although the resolution is fixed.

24bit's picture

This may be go a bit off topic, but does someone recall the DIP switch settings of this beast?
http://www.mediafire.com/?5kpdwgyf34cy81p
I could make it by trial and error I guess, but dont want to damage the hardware.

Edit: Answered on 68kmla
http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17044

MikeTomTom's picture

@24bit: Thanks for that link to all of those Mac vga connectors. Excellent. I've used a few of these adapters but I'd never seen the four dip-switch connector before. The one I use these days is a "UnimacFly" brand connector with 8 dip-switches, it does various fixed resolutions and multisync displays.