This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
themacmeister's picture
PC 250MB Zip Drive (parallel/scsi) ???

Hi folks. Here is a real brain-breaker of a question.

I had an old Parallel-port original zip drive (for PC), but discovered quite by chance that it worked perfectly plugged into the Macintosh SCSI port (with drivers installed).

This was flabbergasting news, and I was pleased very much.

I just picked up a 250MB model of the PC Zip Drive (with 1 zip disk) and I was wondering if this would work on Mac SCSI in the same way???

I do not have a SCSI Mac to test this on at the moment.

Cheers.

Comments

Gary's picture

From Wikipedia (describing ZIP drives):

Parallel port external Zip drives are actually SCSI drives with an integrated Parallel-to-SCSI controller, meaning a true SCSI bus implementation but without the electrical buffering circuits necessary for connecting other external devices. Early Zip 100 drives used an AIC 7110 SCSI controller and later parallel drives (Zip Plus and Zip 250) used what was known as Iomega MatchMaker.[4][5] The drives are identified by the operating system as "IMG VP0" and "IMG VP1" respectively.
Early external SCSI-based Zip drives often came with an included SCSI adapter known as Zip Zoom. The Zip Zoom is a rebadged ISA Adaptec SCSI host controller. Also, originally sold separately was a PCMCIA-to-SCSI adapter for laptop compatibility, also a rebadged Adaptec.

--------

I take that to mean the 250MB ZIP drive would need a ZIP ZOOM device to "convert" the parallel connection to SCSI.

Gary

themacmeister's picture

@Gary, this is in no way an early, or SCSI Zip drive Smile So no Zip Zoom required...

24bit's picture

TMM, I wonder how you physically connected your ZIP for PC (LPT?) device to the Mac´s Centronics 50pin plug.
But then I owned merely SQ555 and a couple of Sony MO´s...
Could it be the ZIP for PC was actually a SCSI thing which came boxed with a SCSI HBA?

themacmeister's picture

I don't recall seeing anything, but I got it second-hand, and it came with the cable which I used, and it must have had a 25pin SCSI plug already. I remember the back had two ports (which I thought was for daisy-chaining), and it could have just been a Mac SCSI drive in a PC box !!!

Seeing it was so long ago, I may have used a SCSI PCI card in the PC... too long ago to remember. All I know is new one doesn't have daisy-chaining, and is definitely PC parallel port Sad

I'll check my cables, and see what I have available, may already have a conversion cable. (PS. Centronics port is too large for zip drivers, I'm pretty sure they had the smaller versions. (Didn't Centronics have the side-clips like printers had?)

Many thanks for info/support.

24bit's picture

You´re quite right TMM. Centronics 50 pin was the one with the wire springs on the sides, similar to the parallel port on printers, just larger. Way too big for 3.5" drives or ZIP.
The old Macs usually had a 25 pin sub D female connector for external SCSI. Quite a few where killed back in the days when somebody tried to cram in a serial or parallel port PC cable. Smile
Doesn´t matter much these days and as long as your ZIP setup works...

Troyd's picture

Is it a 100MB Zip Plus model? Those are dual Parallel Port/SCSI drives. The 250MB drives are either SCSI or Parallel.

http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-SM224100-100MB-Plus-Drive/dp/B0009LXWSW

Troyd's picture

Perhaps you had a Zip Plus. Those were special hybrid PP/SCSI Zip drives that worked on both ports.
These only existed for the 100MB drives in addition to the discrete SCSI, USB and PP versions. The 250MB drives were either SCSI, PP or USB but no further hybrid PP/SCSI version was made.

themacmeister's picture

Yes, you are right, my original must have been the 100MB Zip Plus, which means my 250MB Zip Drive is almost certainly not going to work on Mac at all, and probably doesn't even have drivers for Win7 either Sad

Oh Well, might sell it off with a bunch of other crud.