This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wolf's picture
Pasting icons with Mac OS 9.0.4 gives error -196

When I copy a program icon to paste it on a .sea I get:

"The command could not be completed, because an error of type -196 occured"

under Mac OS 9.0.4 (SheepShaver under Windows).

I can do it fine with Mini vMac in Mac OS 7.5.5 but the pasted icons will only show in Mac OS 7 and not 9.0.4.

Why do I get this error? Is there a workaround? I see the pasted icon in RedEdit by the way...

Comments

Wolf's picture

And by the way pasting the same icon to a new folder works...

MikeTomTom's picture

"The command could not be completed, because an error of type -196 occured"
under Mac OS 9.0.4 (SheepShaver under Windows).

One possibility. You have some item or text in the Windows clipboard.

There is a bug with SheepShaver on Windows, in that it appears to "borrow" the Windows clipboard and if there is some item in the Windows clipboard you cannot copy and paste icon (resources) during a SheepShaver session. As the Mac's "Resource Manager" cannot remove content from the Windows clipboard. Hence the error message -196 (rmvResFailed - RmveResource failed).

Is there a workaround?

Yes. Switch back into Windows and from "Run..." type Clipbrd to evoke Windows' Clipboard Viewer, once in the Clipboard Viewer, delete any item you see. Go back to your SheepShaver session and you should be OK to copy and paste icons.

Wolf's picture

Yeah I'm well aware of this bug and it's not this. And by the way the "Clipbrd" solution does not work (at least in Windows 7 & 8 64-bit). To clear the clipboard I run CCleaner.

I can paste the same icon on a new folder but when I do it on a .sea, I get the error.

MikeTomTom's picture

Oh yeah... you have to copy over clipbrd.exe from an XP system to restore that useful piece of dropped technology to Win 7.

However, your problem is probably caused by some other issue. ie; On my setup, SheepShaver with Mac OS 9.0.4 running on Windows, I can copy and paste icons onto ".sea" files without a problem (if Windows clipboard is empty).

I'm unable to replicate error -196 here.

Wolf's picture

Which Windows version are you using? Which GTK version and which SDL version?

that-ben's picture

This lets you clear clipboard contents under Windows 7 (and probably 8 and 10 too) : http://www.thewindowsclub.com/downloads/Clipboard-Viewer.zip