This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gary's picture
OT: Contact/Mailing List software for X 10.8

I'm setting up a laptop for my wife with all the stuff that she uses (currently spread across several machines).

I've had good success with everything but software to manage her snail-mail addresses and email contacts. For that I've come up with nothing.

Apple supplies "Contacts" as their solution but the version that comes with X 10.8 is read-only. The "Save" menu item is never selectable.

Please suggest an app that will provide a way to manage her contacts and addresses.

Gary

Comments

24bit's picture

I´m not using Contacs on a regular basis, but version 9 on my notebook does what it should.
I may type in data and things are saved after pressing the "Done" button.
I don´t think I have an instance of Mountain Lion running still. Sad

As a rule of the thumb its not advisable to use flavours of OSX
more than two steps down from the current MacOS.
10.8 will hardly receive bug fixes or security patches any more.
In case you did not purchase a laptop already, do consider a T420.
Insanely has a thread about it: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285678-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-with-...

The laptop runs as MBP 8,1 like a charm. (WLAN card needs swapping and the SD-Card reader does not work)

Gary's picture

>things are saved after pressing the "Done" button.

This does appear to work but only if I create an entry from scratch. What I tried to do is import a VCard file from PPC only legacy app. The import appears to work but once I quit Contacts the imported list vanishes.

As for using "old" machines, I've become quite accustomed to that having used Mac OS 9 for these last 17 years almost exclusively.

Gary

24bit's picture

You sure found this: https://www.cisdem.com/resource/best-contact-manager-for-mac.html

No objections against using old OS, thats whats MacGarden is about after all.
Connecting the old gems to the net means asking for trouble though - unless one knows what to do in IT security.