This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
jesuisdvd's picture
Osx 10.5 panter 2 dvd version?

Hey guys, i'm looking for a osx 10.5 leopard but any version in regular dvd (not dual layer), is that possible? or there's any way to make it fit in a single layer dvd?, i need it to install that version on a ibook G4/1.42 14", thanks in advance for any help given Wink

Comments

MacTouch's picture

Hi,

Leopard is too big to fit in a single layer media (about 6.4 GB). Your iBook can read a double layer, isn't it ? Otherwise, u can use the Target mode via FireWire with another Mac (if u have) to install this system. Smile

jesuisdvd's picture

That's the matter, the one i got its a 4x superdrive, i don't know if this one reads dual layer dvd, its hard to find dual layer dvd's around here (where i live), and the only one appart from the ibook i got, is a cube, there's anyway to get the leopard iso mounted on the cube an read that disc from the ibook via target mode in order to install it?

MacTouch's picture

If I recall correctly, an image mounted can't be used in Target mode. Only physicals medias can work in this mode. But, if u have enough space on the cube, u can (perhaps) create a partition of 8 GB & copying the image on via Apple disk utility. This is working on Mac OS X if it is installed on your cube. Just remember that u need to lock the image after unzipped the archive & before doing the copy. The partition must be bootable. So, u must test it before going further. If all is successful, u can shutdown the machines. Connect them together with a FireWire cable, then start the cube with "T" key pressed until u got the FireWire symbol on screen. Start your iBook after that. On the desktop, u should see the Leopard partition. If so, u can proceed with the installation. When it's finished, shutdown the computers before unplugging the cable to avoid damages with the internal connectors.

Gary's picture

>its hard to find dual layer dvd's around here

You can use a regular movie DVD as a trial. Most of these (about 90%) are dual layer.

Gary

MikeTomTom's picture

It may be possible for you to install via a USB drive

Install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard via USB on PowerPC Macs (youtube)

And an alternative (youtube) method via USB and Open Firmware:
Install OSX 10.5 Leopard on Powerbook G4 (a1138) with a USB drive! WITH 10.5 LEOPARD IMAGE

bertyboy's picture

Or buy/use an old iPod that can connect via Firewire.
1. Connect by Firewire.
2. Create an 8GB partition on the Firewire disk in Disk Utility
3. Use Disk Utility to restore the Leopard install image onto the 8GB partition
4. Eject and plug into your the Mac you want to install Leopard onto.
5. Restart that Mac, hold down 'F'. Be patient, it is booting of a slow iPod disk.
6. Install Leopard. Keep the iPod for next time.

MikeTomTom's picture

Yeah well, I had to give it a go installing from an 8GB partitioned USB stick following
the Install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard via USB on PowerPC Macs (youtube howto).

Trying to restore the Leopard dmg using Disk Utility in Snow Leopard was no go - it would not allow me to add the Leopard install part as the source to restore from.

But Disk Utility in OS X 10.4 Tiger was OK and the restore to USB drive went fine like in the youtube demo.

The resulting USB Leopard install drive would not boot up to a iBook G4 - it failed to "see" the thumb drive when holding the down Option key while booting, as demonstrated in the video.

Tried same drive in a eMac G4 and what do you know, it detects the thumb drive as being bootable and I could start the install. It all went smoothly. This took ages to install, which is understandable as my eMac only has USB 1.x ports, but otherwise the install went fine and without any hiccups.

So the eMac was a breeze but the iBook proved to be a non starter and might be necessary to go down the Open Firmware path, or FireWire path as bertyboy suggests.

bertyboy's picture

Awesome link, I shall give this a try on one of my PMG5s and report back.
I'll try on one of the USB2 ports on a PCI card in the back and report back if it works (or not).
That's one great buy for G4 / G5 owners, I picked up a box of 4 brand new Belkin USB2 PCI cards for Mac for $30. The working G4s have one each, as do the working G5s. Although G5 has USB2, the front ones feel like USB 1 and a half. That just leaves two USB2 at the back. Not enough. The Belkin cards also have a fifth USB2 port, internal, great for wireless / bluetooth or a spare old 500GB WD My Passport, or a spare newer 2TB pocket drive.

Another way I used to get 10.5 installed was with the old Firewire LaCie d2 external drives. They still make and sell them, but these were from 2006-2008. You could partition the drive in these, restore the 10.5 install DVD image to it, and boot of Firewire to install. Dead fast too. Unfortunately I upgraded to a WD MyBook with Firewire and I had thrown the LaCie enclosure before I found out the WD enclosure couldn't be used to boot of Firewire. If you see one working for a few bucks - they usually came with 320 and 500GB disks - it would be a life-saver one day.

MikeTomTom's picture

I'll be keen to learn how you get on with installing to your G5's bertyboy. I suspect the USB stick method only works with Macs that are capable of booting native to Mac OS 9 also (for some weird reason), but I could be wrong. It would be great if you have some success with newer PPC Macs.

I have an earlier version of the NewerTech MiniStack FW/USB external HD enclosure, which I could have also used, just that I did want to see how installing from a cheap USB thumb drive would pan out. The MiniStack is great, the older version I have (v2) runs on Mac OS 9.2 and later, has FW/400 only, tho' this is fast enough to run anything I need it for.

bertyboy's picture

Alas, many, many hours of trying, with varying degrees of failure.

For each Mac, tried each of warm and cold starts, tried each of built-in and PCI card USB slots.

The USB stick is an old Lexar 16GB USB2 stick, might be nearly 8-9 years old, but it was top-of-the-line Lexar USB2 at the time (about £75 UK), it has been rock-solid every day since I bought it, and lightning fast - faster than any cheaper USB stick I have bought since.

I followed the steps in the link above and restored the 10.5 disk image (that I have used many times on Firewire booting hard drives and an iPod).

PMG5 Dual Core (this is single CPU with dual core processor):
USB stick with Mac OS X Install DVD just not seen at all in Startup Manager. I tried this three times. Internal hard drives are seen fine and I can boot from them.

PMG5 Dual Processor:
I can't even get into Startup Manager when I hold down Option, it just hangs (gray screen). I also tried this three times.

PMG4 MDD (2002, OS9 booting):
In PCI USB2 slot, the USB drive shows up in Startup Manager (extremely quickly), but the Startup Manager hangs (mouse freeze, mouse watch stops) also very quickly.
In built-in USB 1.1 slot, the USB drive shows up in Startup Manager (a bit longer), but again the Startup Manager hangs, this time after about 90 seconds. I am never able to select the USB stick as the boot volume, the mouse moves (for the first 90 seconds) but clicks on the USB boot volume are ignored.

I'll pick up another (cheap) USB2 stick during the week if they're on sale and try with a different brand next weekend. I have a stash of USB sticks already, but they are all prepared as emergency OSX 10.7.5 - 10.12 boot drives.

MikeTomTom's picture

Thanks for the attempts, bertyboy. I'm kind of amazed that it worked fine for me with the eMac. This is almost confirming my thoughts that non OS 9 booting Macs are out... I hope you have better luck with the MDD.

I'm thinking too (as yet to try it) that if you're going to go down the USB thumb drive path for newer PPC Mac, it may need to be done via Open Firmware booting, as in this youtube vid:
Install OSX 10.5 Leopard on Powerbook G4 (a1138) with a USB drive!

bertyboy's picture

OK, I've picked up some more USB sticks and I shall try again tonight.

Already found out and remembered why I bought Lexar (memory by Micron of Crucial RAM fame) over cheaper brands - Lexar 8GB stick is 8.04GB, formats to 8GB.
Emtec 8GB stick is 7.75GB in DiskUtility, formats to 7.61GB with 7.58GB available - not big enough for 10.5 Smile

bertyboy's picture

Much more success, at least getting to the point of the Installer running.
PMG5s - not showing up in Startup Manager
PMG4s (MDD and dual-DA) - working perfectly. But didn't try the USB slots on the PCI card, maybe at the weekend.

MikeTomTom's picture

PMG4 733MHz (Quicksilver) - used the PCI USB 2 card and it booted beautifully - but Leopard requires 867 MHz G4 or faster to install. - As proof of concept, very bootable and the USB 2 really helped the boot time.

[Edit] I had read about and installed LeopardAssist -- just what it needed. I now have Leopard installed on the Quicksilver 733 via the USB2 PCI card, all went smoothly & quickly via USB2 and Leopard seems fine on this unsupported Mac.

max1zzz's picture

It is worth noting you can slim the leopard installer to fit on a single layer DVD by removing things like the printer drivers and additional languages, it's been a good 5 years since I last had to do this so I can't remember the process off the top of my head (I think you just delete the additional install packages then unpack osinstall.mpkg and modify the distribution file and repack osinstall.mpkg but you would have to double check that is correct)

MikeTomTom's picture

That is interesting, Max. There are a few tutorials out here that may help with the process:

How to squeeze Leopard to a SL-DVD
How to Burn Apple OS X Leopard 10.5 Onto a Single Layer
GUIDE: Installing OS X Leopard on a single-layer disc (Wayback Machine).

jesuisdvd's picture

Thanks guys for all the replies, i think the best option will be to make the system fit in a single layer dvd as mentioned above, and see what happen Tongue

Magic's picture

FYI all DVD drives are dual layer for read as it's part of the original DVD Video specification for movie discs. There was only a distinction between single and dual layer for the writer drives which came a few years later.