This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
dhoppe's picture
OS X 10.5.7 - MBP 2009

Hello.
Is anyone willing to upload an OS X 10.5.7 recovery DVD for the mid-2009 MacBook Pro? It is considered "obsolete" by Apple. It *may* comply with Macintosh Garden standards, as the original version of Leopard was released in 2007, and 10.5.7 is just an update to ensure compatibility for the mid-2009 Pro.

I understand if it is too new to be uploaded on this site (lots of software here is for classic Mac), but if it is, does anyone know where else I can download it? Thanks.

Comments

MacTouch's picture

Hi,

As u may imagine, your machine has been released in 2009 (June of this year) & Mac OS X 10.5.7 one month before. So, of course, this software should be uploaded in 2019 & at least on May & not before. Unfortunately, I don't know where to find this specific version for this machine. Sorry...

sfp1954's picture

I have 10.6 (2009) and 10.5.6 (also 2009) for 15" and 17" MacBook Pro.
These are dual DVD sets. One for the OS and a 2nd for the Applications.
Are you sure 10.5.6 + 10.5.8 update will not work?
10.5.6 was the pre-installed OS for the 2009 machines according to Everymac.com

Can mail you copies if you are in the USA.

On a unibody (ie post Aluminum) you should be running at least Snow Leopard if not El Capitan.

dhoppe's picture

Hmm, I just checked EveryMac and it DOES say 10.5.7, not 10.5.6. I have a 13 inch mid 2009. Anyways, I already have copies of 10.5.6 and 10.6. Sorry, thanks for trying to help me. Sad

unixphreak's picture

How about anyone that has a 2009 Mac Pro Recovery disc for Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G3553)?

capt_chuckl3s's picture

I don't have a 10.5.6 recovery disc. But I have to ask a two point question: 1.) What's going with your machine that you need a recovery disc for, and 2.) are you sure you don't want to upgrade to 10.11? I checked out the specs on a 2009 Mac Pro at everymac.com and the machine will support El Capitan, which would have updated apps. Just curious.

Jatoba's picture

I don't know why some people may want Intel 10.5.x specificially, but I know that the biggest reason for never going past 10.6 is the lack of Rosetta, which allows an enormous amount of apps to run.

A few other reasons may apply for some people, too. For example, 10.6 and later removed people's ability to write to HFS discs (as opposed to HFS+), which is very inconvenient for any Intel user trying to emulate old Macs via Mini vMac and Basilisk ][.

MikeTomTom's picture

10.6 and later removed people's ability to write to HFS discs (as opposed to HFS+), which is very inconvenient for any Intel user trying to emulate old Macs via Mini vMac and Basilisk ][.

Which is why I now use DOS Mounter 95 and it's accompanying Read/Write DOS disk image (2nd download on the same page) for moving files to and from Mini Mac. It works somewhat like the "Unix" shared drive on B2/SheepShaver and is not too inconvenient for Mac users (at least for Mac OS's 6 & 7 running on Mini vMac) on Intel Macs.

Basilisk II is not affected by a lack of HFS Read/Writability, as it can use a shared drive the same as SheepShaver (usually mounts as a "Unix" drive in the Mac and *nix varieties of those two emulators). But Mini vMac is definitely affected, as it doesn't have the "shared drive" metaphor built-in.

Mac OS's losing writability to DOS formatted disk images likely won't happen for as long as USB thumb drives etc, remain a popular media, as they tend to be DOS FAT formatted by default.

So DOS Mounter 95 and a DOS formatted disk drive has really helped me out with regards to Mini vMac and Intel Macs running Snow Leopard+.

Franky233's picture

Also, why not using this excellent tutorial from 24bit ?

MikeTomTom's picture

Hi Franky. Yes, 24bit's example would have also benefitted from DOS Mounter 95 if it had been present Smile

With the use of his "Transport.dmg", long file names would have been preserved if DOS Mounter 95 had been installed on his Mini vMac setup.

I know that later versions of Apple's "PC Exchange" software preserved long filenames but not so in System 6 (PC Exchange doesn't work in SSW 6 but DOS Mounter 95 does) or early System 7.x and is obviously not preserving long file names in the example pics given on that page. So I prefer to use DOS Mounter 95 when running Mini vMac on Snow Leopard or later for exchanging files between the two.

capt_chuckl3s's picture

I think I can relate a little bit. I've started collecting iPods recently and my wife bought me a 2nd Generation iPod Touch for Christmas. It connects with iTunes on the High Sierra MacBook, but it won't connect to the iBook nor the PowerMac G4. Therefore, my plan is to buy iPods that will connect to either the iBook or the PowerMac so I can split up my growing library of music.

unixphreak's picture

I think i have the disk, I had a 2009 unibody MacBook pro with a 2.4 Ghz P8600 CPU. I am making a toast image as I type this will upload later tonight.