This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
themacmeister's picture
New PPC build available of Ubuntu Mate 14.04

Just found this by accident. Might give it a try on my G5 DP PowerMac.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/blog/ubuntu-mate-trusty-powerpc/

Seems to have some issues with power management and sound, but sound is easily fixed (comparatively).

Comments

MadMac's picture

it will be my first attempt to use linux... wish me luck! Wink

themacmeister's picture

Wait MadMac!!!

This crashed hard on my DP G5 DURING installation. Power Management is broken. You would be better served to follow PowerPC Luddite's instructions on installing Debian Wheezy. It works, and gets you to a working desktop pretty easily. Needs internet access (preferably wired) to install.

Takes a while, but works fine. Do not be expecting decent 3D acceleration at all, as graphics cards in old PPC macs are just too old (no longer supported). If you have decent NVIDIA (7300+), and are keen on 3D games etc. you need to go back to 12.04 and even ROLL BACK xorg/mesa to an earlier version to even get it working. I have tried with ATI Radeon 9600XT (nice card) but was WAAAAY too unstable. Regular 2D acceleration and no hardware 3D via open drivers seems pretty solid.

MadMac's picture

thanks for the warning macmeister, i was reading about it at the google group... im using that ATI card (128mb)... but, why they release this, knowing that its still buggy and problematic?