This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
arti040's picture
Macintosh LC630 and PDS Ethernet card

Hi,
last time you helped me guys with OS 9.x, which i appreciate much and i think, i will find someone here, who could help me with my next big problem Wink

So, i got this card and Mac LC630 with MacOS 8.1 installed on it. I've downloaded Network Software Install disk from here (v. 1.4.5), which was stupid, i know that already, but installer installed some drivers anyway. Problem is, PDS ethernet card dosen't work at all. Rear, green LED doesn't blink but my router seems to "see" the Mac because the proper light is blinking on the front panel. In Mac-TCP control panel i have:
- AppleTalk
- Ethernet slot 1
- Ethernet slot 2

I've checked all of them by trying to set DHCP or static adresses. MacTCP Ping won't start, displaying message "Cannot find resolver". iCab returns some "-4239482304" errors. What i do wrong?
Is there some special driver for MacOS 8.x, which i'm not able to find, or what? The last question - is there any app, by using which i could check if PDS card is recognized, connected or whatever?

Comments

sfp1954's picture

Are you running TCP/IP?
To run ethernet you have to be in TCP/IP mode using the network switcher utility.
Not sure you should need any drivers at all if you've done a clean install of 8.1.
Are you sure all the Apple drivers are in the extensions folder?
Ethertalk...

sfp1954's picture

My point being if the previous user didn't have ethernet he may have deleted all the apple ethernet drivers or at the very least disabled them to the Extensions(disabled) folder.

MikeTomTom's picture

Is there some special driver for MacOS 8.x, which i'm not able to find, or what?

If I recall, with additional net cards, Apple's & others, the extension "Ethernet Phase 2" should also be included. This extension doesn't get installed by default with Mac OS 8 but its available (I think) with either a custom install of the OS (which I believe you can do over your already installed OS 8), or belatedly by using the TomeViewer software to extract it from the system install Tome files.

- is there any app, by using which i could check if PDS card is recognized, connected or whatever?

You can use "Apple System Profiler" under the Apple menu, tho' its not as sophisticated as later OS versions. In Mac OS 8.1's ASP, choose menu "Select", > "Network/Communication Overview" to view "Active Ports". This is possibly the same procedure for Mac OS 8.0, too.