This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Punkyclown's picture
Mac PowerBook 1400 hangs on desktop display (my bad)

Hi all, everyone here is always very supporting when I (always) post issues.
And I am very much appreciative of that, thank you all.
So I loaded a number of 9.2.2 desktop images on my 9.1 Powerbook 1400.
I switched to one of them and it loaded, but the next time I restarted my Mac
the computer hung after loading the desktop image and there it stays. The mouse
is active but everything else is frozen. So I loaded a 7.6 disk and removed the Appearance
Control Panel, but everything is set so,
same issue. When I try to Zap my Pram it just turns
the computer off or puts it to sleep and I have to restart. If I try to load System 9 using my
CD and the cmd - option - shift - delete keys it just show a diskette with a question mark
on it. So aside from having to completely erase and do a new install on the hard drive.
Does anyone have an idea of how I can proceed with this issue?
Brad Hansen

Comments

sfp1954's picture

Have you tried booting with extensions off (hold down shift key if I remember right)?

In cases like these I usually remove all the system related preferences.
Finder, MacOS... If you have a bootable floppy you could try that.

Punkyclown's picture

Extensions off doesn't deal with the issue of what's in PRam. But I don't understand what you are
saying. I have a bootable floppy, and I have removed the "Appearance" Control Panel from
the Control Panel folder. But if I remove everything your saying how will I get my hard drive
to boot again? All I want to do is get rid of the desktop image that is freezing my system
And it is saved in PRam...
Brad Hansen

sfp1954's picture

Try using Techtool 1. to ZAP your PRAM.
http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/techtool

I don't think the selected desktop image is stored in PRAM. It's name would be a stored in Appearance Preferences (the file where the Control Panel stores its parameters). And the actual file would be in System Folder/Appearance/Desktop Pictures. The only purpose of the control panel is to allow you to change the contents of the related preferences files).
You can remove any and all system related files in System Folder/Preferences. They will all be recreated the next time the hard drive boots. Or just move them to the trash but don't empty it.

Punkyclown's picture

Hey sfp, Thanks so much for the quick response. I did put my Desktop Pictures folder else where
but it did not help. I will try and follow through on your advise, much appreciated
Brad Hansen
Are you incognito or do you have a real name?

Punkyclown's picture

Tried to run TechTool which it did, but it did not seem to be able to Zap the Pram. Nothing seemed to
happen. At one point I ran the keyboard step to turn off Virtual Memory and it said it would come back after next start, but now I get a message that says system can on start with extension because virtual
memory is turned off??
Brad Hansen

Punkyclown's picture

Well I moved all my Applications and Utilities to an SSD and then Erased and reinstalled my OS.
Seems fine.

sfp1954's picture

How much RAM do you have? If you can't boot with virtual memory off I would install an older OS or disable any extensions you don't use until you can boot with VM off.