This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mac OS X v10.4 „Tiger“

Does anyone have Mac OS X v10.4 „Tiger“ for iMac G3 to upload?

Comments

MikeTomTom's picture

@velsatis: Only speaking for myself here, but on eBay, 10.4 for specific Macs are "dirt cheap". However, I don't think there was a 10.4 made specifically for a G3 iMac - its possile that the last G3 iMac to ship was shipped with Mac OS 10.0.4 back in 2001... see this EveryMac page for possible iMac OS combo's.

You may be better off looking for a 10.4 that will install on any suitable PPC Mac. These are still a very cheap option on eBay. Its not until you go to 10.5 where the prices take an astronomical leap... on the upside... 10.5 won't run on the the G3 iMac either.

and with an iMac G3 your best option is to start with 10.3.x. Try it out and then see if the more HW taxing 10.4.x is worth the upgrade.

bertyboy's picture

1. I don't think by any stretch of the imagination that OSX 10.4 "Tiger" can be considered abandonware.
2. Which iMac G3 ?
3. iMac G3's came with OS8.1 to OS8.6, or OS9.0.4 to OS9.2.1. Because the G3 lacks AltiVec (and some G4's lacked it also), OSX 10.4 will run like a pig, OSX 10.3 will only be slightly better, ie. you'll be able to run the OS (but see below) Finder, but running any apps that actually REQUIRED OSX 10.4 will be way beyond the G3.
4. OSX 10.4 only came on DVD for retail. At the time you could return the DVD to Apple with a shipping fee and they'd send back 4 CDs. Same story for OSX 10.4 Server. If your iMac G3 only has a CD drive, or a combo drive, how are you going to boot from it ?

Best advice may be to sell it and buy a fast G4, perhaps an eMac, for £10-£20. It may come with OSX 10.4 and run maybe 10x faster than the G3, have 10x as much disk, 10x as much RAM, and a 10x faster video card.
Or did we completely misunderstand your original question ? Perhaps you are looking for original install / restore discs ? or some software to run on (whatever OS is currently installed) ?

Its a iMac G3 400Mhz graphite. Its my favorite iMac and I want to keep it! The G4 is a collector's item and has become very expensive. I guess at least $ 170 on ebay.
120GB disk and 1GB of RAM should be fast enough for OSX 10.4. Its even on the G3 faster than 10.3 (I don't know why). Currently, OS 9 installed. But I want to be able to boot from both systems. So I'm looking for the update to OSX10.4, the original install discs, I guess.

bertyboy's picture

eBay it is then to get your copy of OSX 10.4.

Which G4 do you mean / have that goes for at least $170 on eBay ? I can only think of a Cube in pristine condition, or a Mac Mni that may go for that much in the UK.
G4 towers up to dual processor DA's are pennies, infinitely better suited for OSX 10.4 (I paid £9.99 for mine with a CRT monitor. I since sold the monitor for £15). QuickSilders may be £50-£60, MDDs are £80-£100, and only if they're fully packed out with disks and RAM.

I have Tiger 10.4 - who wants it? I will upload it... NO, don't goto ebay.. I will upload it.

MikeTomTom's picture

@Nadav34: The MacGarden doesn't host files over 40 MBs in size, or software that isn't classed as abandonware, at this point in time, if it can help it...

Begin here, Read a bit of it, then think about offering more helpful suggestions.

Oh.. because I saw Bertyboy upload imac restore disks, PM G4 restore/install disks etc... I was under impression that I could upload anything here that people need or want.. sorry..

MikeTomTom's picture

@Nadav34: as mentioned before: Begin Here, read about what is considered abandoned and acceptable and ask if you're not sure. OK, so you offered first, well thats no biggie either. But please do a little lurking/reading first if possible.

themacmeister's picture

@Nadav34, I have fallen into this trap before. Even with something as seemingly old and unsupported as DiskTop -- they still sell, and support it -- oops!

All versions of OS X from 10.4PPC on up to latest Snow Leopard Retail are available on the green demon, or bay. I'm sure you will find them with a little Google search regarding torrents. Smile

xy

Starting with Mac OS X on MacGarden will inevitably lead to warez! macmeister is right: there are other sites for this, even more than there are Macintosh abandonware sites. We really don't need this.

bertyboy's picture

Nadav,

Yeah, particularly with OSX 10.4, Apple just released a Safai update for Tiger this month. So it's not something we want to "pirate up".

The iMac and MDD restore discs were only provided to help a single fellow Mac user until they could locate a suitable set on eBay or similar. Tiger, and Panther and even Jaguar, are readily available through 2nd user shopping channels.

Ok, what about Mac OS X Public Beta, or some of the OS 9 versions.. Actually, I am looking for Bugdom on the imac disks.. do you have this? I have a G4 Pismo 550 and wanted to know which imac disk has the bugdom, nanosaur, etc..

Mac OS X Public Beta is probably abandonware also.. along with Cheetah.

Innes's picture

I doubt very much we would get away with hosting any OSX variant, NeXTStep is also pushing it a wee bit, i don't know the extent is and what underlying code may still exist between early and now but it is still the same system that is in use today.

MadMac's picture

If you have a IMac G3 DV 400 with 512mb of ram... there are no problems with the Tiger... maybe it wont be that fast as you think it would be (its a G3 anyway).
You are only asking for places where to download the tiger... do what you want, pirate...bay

Downloading Mac OS X 10.4 is ILLEGAL! Apple forbids anybody to redistribute, modify, or copy to any users account in anyways! We are talking about legality. Read the license agreement for this.

Downloaded this myself from brokenstones

xy

Please on this website no hints or links to illegal download locations.

xy is right.

I wouldn't recommend OS X Tiger on anything lower spec than a G4. I have it running on a PowerMac G4 QuickSilver (700mhz, 1.25gigs) and it runs okay but not beautifully.
Try 10.3 or lower (Although I had 10.2.8 on this computer and it ran WORSE than Tiger...).
If you really need Tiger though, look on Ebay, there's quite a few DVD and CD sets for about 30 dollars.

Mac Dro's picture

Yeah in my experience, even with a high amount of RAM, this will run terribly on a G3 iMac. I don't mean intensive apps either; it will take time to even show the contents in a folder upon opening it. I would be hesitant to recommend any version of OS X on G3 imacs, as 10.3 was equally slow in my experience.

You would be better running OS 9 - simply from a usability standpoint.

I agree. I speak from experience. I de-installed 10.3 on my old iMac G3, and Mac OS 9 was positively zippy compared to it.