This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
grawlix.computing's picture
Mac OS 9.2.2 and USB Mouse

At a snail's pace, I've been setting up a beige PowerMac G3 tower, for a little bit of classic Mac goodness. Space is at a premium in my office, so I have a 4-port DVI/USB KVMA plugged into 3 machines, including the G3. It took some doing to get the video worked out, but it and the audio ar now good--half way there.

The G3 has a USB card that was apparently not working properly with a stock install of Mac OS 9.2.2. To confuse the issue, I install GameSprockets and USB Overdrive 1.4 in a vain attempt to get my preferred USB keyboard and mouse to work. I could really not see any sign the the OS was make any use of the USB card, so I retrenched.

Removing GameSprockets and USB Overdrive, as well as falling back to the Mac OS 9.1 USB extensions has worked wonders. My wired USB keyboard (Logitech G710+) is working quite well, and a wireless mouse (Microsoft Mobile Mouse 4000) is mostly working. I'm not sure if the wheel is supposed to work or not.) My preferred mouse, though, a wired Logitech G9x moves the cursor smoothly, but the buttons are dead.

Outside of making another flailing attempt with USB Overdrive, do you have any suggestions as to how I can get the last half a centimeter with my G9x? Thanks for your consideration.

Comments

I should point out that with USB Overdrive 1.4 installed for the mouse, this is what I get for each mouse:

Microsoft Mobile Mouse 4000: Completely dead

Logtech G9x: any movement is apparently interpreted as mouse right, as it will zip to the right side of the screen. Buttons dead.

MikeTomTom's picture

You also need to install Apple's "USB Card Support 1.4" for pre-USB (old world) Macs with 3rd party USB PCI cards, running Mac OS 8.6 and later.

The DL for version 1.4 of this is at the above Apple Support page (and an earlier version 1.2 for those running OS 8.5 on OW Macs).

Bolkonskij's picture

Can't help you, but I've been experiencing a similar problem with OS 9.2.2 and a USB mouse as well. The right-click and mouse wheel would not work. I unplugged it from the KVM switch and and connected it directly to my TiBook - suddenly all worked fine again.

There must be something with the KVM that stops it from working. Haven't had time to figure out what the reason is ... maybe you wanna try if it's the same issue with you?

It's a good thought. The KVM I'm using has specialized mouse and keyboard ports so that it can attempt to do emulation for different operating system, as well as pick out key commands to control the KVM. Additionally, it has generic USB ports. The keyboard and mouse is plugged into the generic ports because they are apparently otherwise unsupported by the KVM manufacturer.

It turns out I already have newer versions of all of the files installed by the USB Card Support 1.4 installer, save for one. It appears to have something to do with mass storage devices, and is apparently unrelated to my problem.

bertyboy's picture

just out of interest, what does the Apple System Profiler report as being connected via USB ?

Here's the link to the device view in the Apple System Profiler. I hope everything is expanded that you want to see. It mostly makes sense to me.

There is an IOGear GCS1104 4-port KVM in the setup. That KVM has a dedicated keyboard and a dedicated mouse port, which shows up in the device tree. It also has a USB hub, into which I have plugged the tranceiver for my Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000, and *another* hub that my Logitech G710+ and G9x use. Everything is adequately powered from wall warts--there's no reliance on bus power.

MikeTomTom's picture

Have you tried the mouse connected direct to the Mac's USB port to see if they work correctly & if the KVM is (or is not) the problem?

Yes, I just tried that now. The G9x works just as it did on the other side of a KVM and a hub--the pointer moves correctly, but the buttons are dead.

MikeTomTom's picture

Have you installed the LogiTech MouseWare drivers for OS 8-9? (available here at the MG). These work great for me on a G3 running Mac OS 9. My mouse is a basic wired Logitech M90. The supported OS's on the box said Mac OS X 10.4 or newer, but with those old drivers it all worked 100%, wheel & right mouse clicks... your mouse looks like it has a few more buttons tho...

Kickass--Thanks MikeTomTom, that's just what I needed. The Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000 has been put away.

kd0tpc's picture

Also I am running SSW 7.5.5 on a Performa 6400 with a third party USB Card (a generic card from an old PC) using Apples extensions (can not remember details at the moment and it is not booted) the USB works perfectly including support for Mouse and Keyboard (though I still prefer the ADB Mouse and KB).

MikeTomTom's picture

Also I am running SSW 7.5.5 on a Performa 6400 with a third party USB Card

SSW 7.5.5? I was under the impression that the earliest OS support for 3rd party USB cards was 8.5

kd0tpc's picture

Probably so officially. I have found many of the extensions that are supposed to work with OS 8.1 and newer, or OS 8.5 and newer work with out any problems on SSW 7.5.5 so long as the needed extra other extensions are also enabled (in other words so long as the dependencies are met).

If it works I use it.

MikeTomTom's picture

If it works I use it.

Interesting and its something new for me to play with. Thanks.

themacmeister's picture

I got a floppy from the local Mac Shop, which had one file on it. USB Device Support 1.4 (or something very similar). I believe it was only for Mice/Keyboards(trackballs?) as the System Software had all the other items covered (mass storage etc.)