This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
noglin's picture
Looking for bomby in idevgames 2001

I made this game long time ago, and unfortunately I have no copies of it anywhere.
The download links are not working here:
http://www.macgamefiles.com/item/16906/Bomby/

Hoping that someone might have it? Thanks for this site Smile

Comments

Daxeria's picture

Found and uploaded. Smile

http://macintoshgarden.org/games/bomby

Jatoba's picture

Hey, noglin, sorry to hijack your thread to ask this, but are you by any chance the developer behind "noglin3Dstep1" and "noglintutors"? If I'm not mistaken, those used to be related to the Mac demoscene of olden days, and I just wanted to confirm if you were THAT noglin. Smile

noglin's picture

Thank you so much Daxeria! Smile

Jatoba - Yes, that would be me Smile Were you also active in the demoscene perhaps?

Jatoba's picture

It's more like I'm a "late admirer"! With the help of everyone from this website, we recently started bringing back every Mac demoscene ever (up to Mac OS 9.2.2), and I became quite invested in the story and history of the Mac demosceners from the 90s and early 2000s! With that said, it's a huge pleasure to have a Classic Mac demoscener around! Mad respect for what you guys did back then!!

I tried contacting Galactic Dreams Software (Marin Sanic & Frane Sanic) and kRat (Kyle Ellrott) a few times, but sadly no replies. I thought it'd be cool if some of all these demosceners appeared again in one place once more, like here. Smile I think you are the first one I could reach -- everyone else's e-mails are all outdated.

Glad to have you around!

noglin's picture

Thank you so much! Smile And big thanks to you and the community for having gathered it all.

I am a good friend of Blackis, I will ask him to join-in, and to check if he may have anything of what is missing.

Marin and Frane were crazy good. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw their Megademo running on my Performa 5200.

blackis's picture

Well this was a funny trip down memory lane, albeit a bit embarrassing to think that someone would still watch some juvenile productions I made almost 20 years ago, thanks noglin for telling me about this forum Smile

Regarding help finding old demos, I had a bad hard disk crash back in 2001 where I lost a lot of things I had personally worked on. But I do still have my ancient Performa 5200 lying around somewhere, where I could theoretically still have copies of some of the demos you are looking for.

@Jatoba I saw in a different thread ( http://macintoshgarden.org/forum/the-demoscene-quest-resurfacing-old-demos ) that you had found my old website and tried to contact me. Apologies for not responding, but I lost access to that site & associated e-mail account probably 10 years ago Smile

Is there a complete/up-to-date list somewhere of demos you are still looking for, in case I manage to boot the old Performa or find some old backups?

Jatoba's picture

Wow! Welcome, blackis! Smile What an honor to have you both here!

Is there a complete/up-to-date list somewhere of demos you are still looking for, in case I manage to boot the old Performa or find some old backups?

Yes, actually. It is normally kept near the end of the description of the demoscenes download page. Here it is for faster access:

- NIKAD (NIKAD.sea.bin, Nikad.sit);
- Liquid Screen Demo (LiquidscreenPPC.sit.hqx or LiquidscreenPPC1.sit.hqx, LiquidscreenPPC2.sit.hqx, LiquidscreenPPC3.sit.hqx);
- Liquid (Liquid.sit.bin);
- Demo-Take1 (demotake1.sit.bin, demotake1.sit.hqx, 24kdemo.sit.hqx);
- Vivid Blur (VividBlur1.sit.bin, VividBlur.sit.hqx);
- Grape or Variations on a Quartic Polynomial with Complex Coefficients (Grape.sit.bin);
- DorkTerm (dorkterm.sit);
- Fire Lib (flame.hqx);
- Fractal Generator 0.6.6 (fractalgen.hqx);
- Specific "MaCthugha" versions & files (MaCthugha1.0Source.hqx, MaCthugha1.1p5.hqx, MaCthugha1.1p6.hqx, MaCthughaPCX.sit.hqx, CthughaTabSource.sit.hqx);
- "JCthugha" source code (JCthugha.java);
- "AllDemos.sit.hqx" (unknown contents, has presumably many of the missing demos above);
- Planet Hively (the files were distributed broken by the creator/porter)

Right above it, you can also find the names of all the collected demos so far. It can be useful for cases when a demo is discovered, but is in neither list. (For demos that we never knew existed.)

Those "juvenile productions" are genuinely inspiring and awesome! It's slowly pushing me to at least try OS 9 demo-making in PPC assembly someday, and spend some months on it. Wink With Lightsoft's assembler, LIDE / Power Fantasm, no less! (Lightsoft themselves also released a demo back in the day, too, called "New Year 98 Demo"! How cool is that -- to develop both an IDE and a demoscene demo! Imagine the developers of MPW and XCode releasing a demo. Smile)

Marin and Frane were crazy good. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw their Megademo running on my Performa 5200.

I'm still so curious about what their megademo, NIKAD, looked like. Among the missing demos, it's the one I'm most curious about. The filesize was 1.7MB, still compressed, which is way bigger than normal for a demo of the time. Nearly every Mac demoscener mentioned them in credits (as "GDS" or "Galactic Dreams Software"), more than others, which made it seem to me that everyone was very, very impressed with it back then. All I could find out about "nikad" is that it's a Croatian word, but sadly no traces of the demo anymore.