This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fortuna Wave's picture
I have compiled Mini vMac 3.2.1 using Visual C++ 2.0!

This is the Mini vMac 3.2.1 alpha (the latest build) that I compiled using Visual C++ 2.0 with c2.exe from Visual C++ 4.0. I've changed the code of myosglue.c and other files from the original compile files, same as yksoft1's idea and experiment. Please note for the screenshot above, this is the System 6.0.8p coloured (the hack that I created from System 6.0.8, just change version number only, features same as 6.0.8) running in my compiled Mini vMac 3.2.1 (Macintosh II 256colors) in Windows 98 system (actually this running in Virtual PC)

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?lcu6kaxkdoksecv
You can also download the not working PowerBook 100 emulation here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ownsrkdbh6sbiy7
However, for the PB100 emulation, it is in prototype emulation and you will get stuck in the middle of the startup

Comments

bertyboy's picture

Well done. I remember System 6 supporting colour, but getting it working in a bespoke vMac is great.

Konpon96's picture

Nice work. Smile

epicMac's picture

Many thanks for color-ified MinivMac versions. I finally have a version of Mac OS 7 in 256 color!

Only one problem, when I tried to run Monkey Island, all the color is wrong! Is this a problem inherent with the MinivMac build or am I up the creek with running Monkey Island (and other games) vintage style?

Temporary Joe's picture

Never knew System 6 could run color.

How exactly does it work? Extension voodoo?

Also, can one run Mac OS 7 in vMac?

Edit: Changed 'xxx 7' to 'Mac OS 7' - IIGS User

IIGS_User's picture

Yes (I'm using it in original Mini vMac).

MikeTomTom's picture

@Temporary Joe:

Never knew System 6 could run color.

Every Mac with a 68020 or better CPU could display color. The earliest '020 Mac II shipped with Macintosh System Software version 2.0 - So Macs since SSW 2.0 could display color.

How exactly does it work? Extension voodoo?

Its built into the Mac ToolBox ROM, main parts were called "Color QuickDraw" & "Color Manager" plus the required hardware (graphics chipset) to display color. A Mac II supported up to 256 colors. Additional embellishments were added in the form of CDEVs or INITs, such as "32bit Color QuickDraw".

Mini vMac, if emulating a 68000 CPU Mac Plus, or an SE, or a Mac Classic, can run a Mac OS up to 7.5.5. But with only (up to) 4MB of RAM available to that CPU... 7.5.x is kind of overkill - Mac OS 7.0 to 7.1.1 on that CPU isn't too bad - that is, can run fairly well and you can have one, two or more apps running at the same time, available memory depending).

A Mini vMac "Mac II" support wish-list, from me: I'd like to see up to 20MB RAM available. Currently the emulation offers 8MB max AFA I can tell, and the Mac II could natively support up to 20.

bertyboy's picture

My IIci and IIsi had it with System 6.0.4 and 6.0.8, so I could play Strategic Conquest, but there was a IIx and the original Mac II before that. These supported colour too, back to System 3. Not that the Finder had any colour until Mac OS 7, which I think is how most people judge as being in colour.

MikeTomTom's picture

@sheepmyshaver123:

I'm now using your build of "minivmac-II8m-256.exe". Its really nice. Good work and thanks for sharing it. Excellent stuff.

... Except... Color on SSW 6.0.8 is a "crash affair" and not working for me Sad
No problem with SSW 7.1.1 Pro - solid 256 color Smile

Temporary Joe's picture

AARGH! It's a Windows app. Could you make it compatible with OS X, or no?

yksoft1's picture

Mini vMac II's display emulation is much based on BasiliskII, so older Color Quickdraw won't fully work and the 32-bit Color Quickdraw INIT must be installed for System 6.0.5-6.0.8 to get color in Mini vMac II.
3.2.1 alpha (100912)'s new timing method made its MacII emulation much slower than older revisions.
You could get all my MinivMac builds (including OSX 10.4 universal builds) at here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?s83vks3rybvk5