This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bolkonskij's picture
Good network games for eMac / 9.2.2?

Hey everyone,

lucky as I am I got my hands on a second eMac real cheap. That is because they sold only the eMac without anything. Luckily I had a spare keyboard & mouse as well as software at home. The second eMac has only 700 Mhz, but comes with 1 GB of RAM which makes it quite fast. I have set up my other eMac (1 Ghz, 768 MB RAM) and the eMac 700 Mhz in the hobby room now and they look quite nice together. Now that I have put OS 9.2.2 and 10.3.9 on both they make really nice retro gaming machines.

My best friends is coming over this evening and we'll give Civilization II & Future Cop LAPD a try. However, we are thankful for any suggestions on good network games. What diamonds do you know of? We'd prefer games playable in cooperative mode, though others may be interesting as well.

Thank you in advance Smile

Comments

MileStones's picture

I played StarCraft a lot with a friend from Mac to PC on a 667MHz and it ran blazingly fast even while hosting it.
Diablo however is a little too buggy for my taste, always skips after lagging/slowing.
The good old card games could work too, have a look around.

bertyboy's picture

Diablo II, Age of Empires, Age of Empires II, maybe Ghost Recon, Star Wars Episode I Pod Racer, Myth TFL, Myth II Soulblighter, maybe Dungeon Siege.

If you're looking to go real retro, MazeWars, even some of the Spectre games, if you sort the resolutions/ colour depth.

TataMisia's picture

Diablo

OSX2000's picture

Command & Conquer for the win!

themacmeister's picture

NetTrek, Asshole for a quicker multiplayer fix Smile

olePigeon's picture

Bolo

olePigeon's picture

Oh, and Total Annihilation.

Bolkonskij's picture

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We had a good time playing Civilization II and Rainbow Six on the two eMacs. Though the 700 Mhz Version slows down a bit with much action going on, it is still playable and great fun Smile

Any more suggestions are welcome Smile

Attila's picture

If you liked Civilization you might try Alpha Centauri. Same thing only with sci-fi theme. I'm pretty sure it can be networked though I've never tried it.

bertyboy's picture

Calling out for original Age of Empires to be uploaded. Anyone any concerns that Microsoft might get the hump over it being classed abandonware.

Jon God's picture

Myth II, Diablo II.

Both are still played online, can't ask for more then that. Smile

Harrymatic's picture

Jazz Jackrabbit 2 is the bomb. Game servers are still maintained and downloadable levels are still being released to this day, more than ten years after the game was released.

amatecha's picture

Hell yeah Bolo, awesome idea haha

I totally want to set up a home network of 4+ Color Classics running Bolo. Just like back in the day in school when I made floppies for my friends with a Hypercard stack to launch the game (because the machines had At Ease). Then we'd sneak into the computer lab during lunch and play Bolo over the network. So fun!! Smile

Guess everyone's recommendations are pretty good.

Diablo 2, Myth - The Fallen Lords, Quake 1, Starcraft, WarCraft 2 or 3, Postal (co-op is surprisingly fun!!), maybe Ares, Carmageddon (used to play this with my cousins all the time)....

bertyboy's picture

Brings back memories of setting up the 1st year Mac Classic computer lab for the university Open Day. 24 Macs running MazeWars, full of schoolkids and a few parents bouncing around blasting each other. I can still hear the LOL and ROFL as the lesser skilled walked into traps or got shot in the back.

**FOUR** colour classics ??? You're either the guy selling these week after week on eBay UK, or the guy buying them week after week. I never get a chance to buy one at a decent price.

amatecha's picture

No, no, I don't own a single one. I just think it would be a really awesome thing to set up Smile

Yeah I went to an IT university summer course when I was about 12 or so (in fact the min. age was supposed to be 16 but my parents had the teacher make an exception).... one of the classmates (still a good friend of mine, in fact I'm chatting w/him right now) brought a copy of Marathon. Needless to say we did way less coursework and actually were playing Marathon (and Bolo) multiplayer matches WHILE the teacher was teaching!! hahahahah Smile VERY fun times, great memories. Smile