This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
themacmeister's picture
Given Away - sorry: 600MHz G3 iBook (OS9) - Tasmania, AUS

Anyone in Tas?

Come to my place, and I'll give you an original, dual-USB G3 iBook, in good condition (the battery only lasts at most 60min -- but it works -- and one little rubber nub is missing near the screen edge (for soft closing the laptop). Comes fully loaded with MacOS9.2.2 only, along with about 18GB of OS9 software.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

You can contact me at craig.cooper@gmail.com

Comments

Nicolas Bahamondes's picture

Can I pay you shipment to Chile? Smile

themacmeister's picture

Sorry Nicolas, too much hassle. Let's see if anyone replies. I hope maedi is interested, as he lives down here I believe!

24bit's picture

I know its not my business. Wink
I did ship all my give aways for postage (or for nothing) you know.
Some to England, the US and one to AUS as well.
Of course it is a hassle to find a good cardbox and rubber foam, even more if you are in the outback.
If your gems find a good home because of that, it should be worth the effort methinks.

IIGS_User's picture

even more if you are in the outback.

They call it "Hinterland" as well. The only group in the world who name it "Outback", are the Germans.
Wink

MikeTomTom's picture

They call it "Hinterland" as well.

I have to admit that I have never heard it called "hinterland" before and I'm kind of a local Wink Still, its a huge expanse of land and I haven't visited some of its states (including Tasmania) so it may be called the hinterland by some... The outback is referred to as "the Outback" here, but rural Australia is also referred to (in local news bulletins) as "the Bush", where as the outback is generally referring to remote dry/desert areas.

@Nicolas: Postage from Australia is not inexpensive, this month Australian parcel postage costs received an up to 30% increase in postal charges. You would do better to source an old Mac locally 2nd hand as likely it would cost less than postage from Australia.

@TMM: I've been tempted to ask you to package it up and post it to me... but I can't justify another Mac laptop right now... I'd recently purchased a G4 iBook and that will have to do me for now. Its a nice wee thing but running classic isn't as fab as booting into OS 9.

Sad

24bit's picture

Oh, Hinterland is fine with me - one can always learn on the net. Smile

Crazy Germans, the only folks calling cell-phones "Handy".
I prefer "Sprech-Stein" (speak stone) for those like Moto PEBL or "Acker-Schnacker" (field talker) btw.

IIGS_User's picture

"The bush" sounds nice, too.
@24-bit: "Non-Handy" devices? Laughing out loud

MikeTomTom's picture

"Acker-Schnacker" is really appealing to me. I'm going to use it from now on Smile

themacmeister's picture

Trying to give something away, with as little expense or trouble as possible...

I really can do anything to receive an iBook. Here, in Chile, people don't care the Macintoshes, and because of that is hard to find a Good-in-Shape Mac.

I'll pay the postage if necessary.

themacmeister's picture

Sorry Nicolas, still waiting for a local pickup if possible. Check back in a few weeks.

btw. What is this in US$ ?

http://articulo.mercadolibre.cl/MLC-409078222-mac-pro-quadcore-por-viaje...

Thanks.

MikeTomTom's picture

@Nicolas: Here's a nice looking iBook G4 for sale in Concepción, for approx AUS$32 - which is about what it would cost to send TMM's G3 iBook to you from Australia. I don't know if this is still for sale as I can only read/speak English, but it appears to be boxed and with all the cables and system software. It looks to be as good as it gets for a 2nd hand computer of this vintage. I assume the prices on these pages are in CLP.

You might want to bookmark this link also, so you can keep an eye on whats available locally in the used Mac market. There are some nice G4 towers here and PPC Mac-mini's

There's even a mint condition PowerBook 5300 here for CLP3,000!!!

In MercadoLibre people always substacts a zero to the price (selles must pay a commision for each completed sale, it's a percentage of the price).

I'll keep an eye to the G4, it's cheapier than G3 iBooks.

The Mac Pro Quadcore is being sold in US$1889

themacmeister's picture

Thanks Nicolas, I thought it was cheaper. I have a local taker for the iBook, so it is... ummm... taken.

Thanks to everyone interested.