This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.


13 posts / 0 new
Last post
TenPoundHammer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012 Oct 21
Damaged files

TaskMaker has randomly stopped working. It tells me it's corrupted when I start it up.

I tried downloading from here, but it says the .sit file is broken.

I tried downloading from Storm Impact, but for some reason, Basilisk thinks all the files in their download are SimpleText documents.

I tried downloading from elsewhere, but it still says it's damaged.

Any idea what went wrong?

Comments

MikeTomTom's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009 Dec 7

It DL's OK for me and StuffIt Expander appears to extract it OK. But the extracted image is unmountable and seems to be broken. Extracting the .sit with other tools (unar) gets "wrong checksum" errors and refuses to extract it fully, it extracts it the same as StuffIt does but its damaged and has no mountable file system.

It doesn't help you, but the file here is useless as is, it needs replacing. IMO.

TenPoundHammer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012 Oct 21

Any idea why the version direct from the publisher is also broken, or why downloading from another site entirely still gives me a "damaged" error?

MikeTomTom's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009 Dec 7

If you can supply links to the DL's you have, from the pub & other sites then I may take a look at them if possible. Otherwise all I can say is, the one that's here appears to be fubar.

Forget it. See mrdav's post below Smile

mrdav's picture
Offline
Joined: 2011 Dec 3

I have replaced the TaskMaker D/L with the one from the developer website. You need to use MacZip to uncompress

MikeTomTom's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009 Dec 7

Thanks a bunch, mrdav. This saves a lot of bother. - And yes, MacZip is the way to go on this one.

TenPoundHammer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012 Oct 21

I tried using MacZip to unzip the file that mrdav uploaded, but it's still telling me the game is damaged. I have tried deleting the prefs file and rebuilding the desktop too. Any other suggestions?

MikeTomTom's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009 Dec 7

  ...Any other suggestions?

Just a guess.
If you're attempting to unzip or decompress any archive in Basilisk II (&/or SheepShaver) and happen to be using a shared disk, shared between host PC & emulator. Do not attempt decompressing or running any file that's in that shared drive (named "Computer" in Windows and "Unix" in other OS's). Using files from with-in the shared drive, more often than not results in failures and errors.

The shared disk is to be used as a "go between" only. Its for moving files from and to the host PC.

Note also, moving a file out of the shared drive straight onto the desktop doesn't count either, as it still belongs to the shared drive if you do that. Copy any files you want to use, into an emulated hard drive before using them, this includes .zip & .sit files, etc.

Other than that, no other ideas. In Basilisk II, dropping that zipped file onto MacZip's closed icon and letting it auto extract the contents, works fine for me.

TenPoundHammer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012 Oct 21

Copying from the shared disk to the emulated hard drive didn't work either. Stuffit thinks that all the content is SimpleText files, and MacZip gives me a damaged game.

MikeTomTom's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009 Dec 7

Whereabouts on your Basilisk II drive do you have MacZip installed and where in Basilisk II is your zip archive of the game located?

I tested the zip archive in Basilisk II today, it unzips fine for me using MacZip and the game plays fine too. So something is amiss and its not the zip archive or MacZip that's the problem.

If it helps, this zipped archive has this MD5 checksum & filename:
f95504b227251f8fb5597d7258d1aad9 *TaskMaker_v224.zip

If you can check this sum in Basilisk II and it returns the same MD5 checksum, then you should be able to do the same as I have - unzip and play the enclosed game OK.

If it returns a different checksum, then something is corrupting your file before it gets into B2.

TenPoundHammer's picture
Offline
Joined: 2012 Oct 21

I can't check right now because my power is off so I can only access the web on my phone. But MacSki and Tomb of the Taskmaker are also reporting as damaged, and those games are from the same company, so I wonder if something went awry in their virus protection.

MikeTomTom's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009 Dec 7

I couldn't say. Both the Taskmaster copy from Storm Impact & the file mrdav upped here to the MG carry the same MD5 checksum: f95504b227251f8fb5597d7258d1aad9 *TaskMaker_v224.zip

So they're both identical (the same file) & without modification.

You could DL either and test against that checksum on your host PC, if its not the same as above then the corruption is occurring between the source and you.

MikeTomTom's picture
Offline
Joined: 2009 Dec 7

You can try the fresh file on the TaskMaster, 2nd DL on page. This one you can unzip on your PC or Mac (unzips as a ".iso"). Add the iso to the list of mountable drives in Basilisk's GUI then launch Basilisk. It should mount as a disk drive then and you should then be able to play the game OK from this mounted disk...