This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Punkyclown's picture
Connecting Apple IIgs to a PowerBook 1400c

Hi All, just got an Apple IIgs, one of my first computers back in 87. I would like
to connect it to my PowerBook 1400c to transfer files which I can down load to
the 1400 from the net or from PCMCIA SD. I have a null modem cable that I
can connect to both computers, but how do I get them to talk to each other?
Any Help would be much appreciated, Thanks
Brad Hansen

Comments

IIGS_User's picture

It's me who used this in the past.

On the IIGS side:
Control Panels-> Slots -> Slot 7 = "AppleTalk"
Slot 1 or 2 = "Your Card" (depends whether the Serial cable is put in the Printer or Modem connection)

Also, set up "User & Groups". With a network user set up in the one computer, use its log-in data on the other.

For data transfer, I use LocalTalk networking. System 7.6 and 8.6 on my PowerBook 1400 can share files with it. Long-term, I'd like to make it a member of a more permanent localtalk LAN and use an OS9 system to download software and share it to the machine. This is pretty reasonable to do now, the one limiting factor is that the IIgs' disk imaging software wants to write out physical diskettes, so I find myself very carefully using around 10 HD floppy diskettes to make install sets, then install things. That is likely just a matter of not having found an option that can mount images, or just extract all the files to a folder.

- quoted from 68kMLA/Apple IIGS...Ideas and AppleTalk ImageWriter?

If your IIGS is equipped with a SCSI card, install the HFS.FST on it and get a SCSI Zip drive as well, for use on both computers.

Punkyclown's picture

IIGS User, Thanks so much a big help. What's the difference between 'LocalTalk" and
AppleTalk" Does it need special software?

sfp1954's picture

I believe LocalTalk refers to the hardware - usually 4 conductor phone cable with DIN adapters (i.e. not ethernet).

Appletalk refers to the software protocol (i.e. not TCPIP).

IIGS_User's picture

I think you're right. Wink

Punkyclown's picture

Thanks, but my very big problem is I cannot get AppleTalk enabled on my PowerBook 1400c.
running system 8.6. No matter what combination of Control Panels and Extensions I use I just continually get an error message. I can get on the net with a 3Com card and TCP/IP set to alternate ethernet.
But can not enable Appletalk? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Brad Hansen

MikeTomTom's picture

In the TCP/IP Control Panel; set it to "Connect via: AppleTalk", then in the Chooser, click the AppleShare icon to select it and then click the AppleTalk Active button.

Don't know if you've done that already. Just a suggestion, Brad. It may or may not help.

IIGS_User's picture

I'm not quite sure yet, as I can't find it in Mac emulation, but also look for: "AppleShare",
or better yet, it's in the Control Strip line, too.

sfp1954's picture

In 8.6 is there still the script which lets you flip from TCP/IP to traditional networking?
I can't remember what it was actually called.