This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Punkyclown's picture
Connecting 1400C to wireless router

Hi All, back from the Holidays. I purchased a Proxim 802.11b Wifi PCMCIA Card with Software.
My Powerbook 1400c is running MacOS 8.0. So I loaded the software and inserted the card.
This put an icon on my desktop that opens the Wireless configuration. It found the wireless
network but showed no signal strength. When I list wireless networks it finds a number of
networks in my area including mine. But the program freezes. The directions say I need to
open up AppleTalk and TCP/IP control panels and choose the Wireless network card. But it is
not listed in the control panels. So is there something I should turn on or off to make the
control panels find the card? The information says it's compatible with my machine and 7.5.5
or higher. Appreciate any help or advise.
Brad Hansen

Comments

OZ1SMB's picture

Is your wifi network open or set to WEP security?
I have some different PCMCIA cards but none support WPA or WPA2 security.
My Newton 2100 and PowerBook 1400 is working with Wifi but only after I set my network to the older WPA security standard.
Have you concidered upgrading to MacOS 8.1 instead of 8.0?

sfp1954's picture

The only card I have personally used that will support operating systems that early is the RoamAbout card.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JORNADA-720-728-680-Enterasys-RoamAbout-802-11-...

With OS 9 and above you can use a Lucent Proxim Silver or Gold Orinoco Card and Apple Airport software. I have also fudged things in 8.6 by copying the Airport drivers from 9.2.2 into 8.6.

The card should be an option in the TCP/IP window at the top. (ie ethernet/airport/card name...).

Be aware that most routers from the major internet companies no longer support WEP. You would need to get an old Airport Base Station (I use a snow) and hardwire it to your internet router.

fm2's picture
fm2

I have tried several PCMCIA 802.11b cards with my PB1400cs but only one marked ORiNOCO Gold PC24E-H-ET works fine with all supported systems 7.5.3, 7.6.1-9.1.

Punkyclown's picture

Hi all, Just wanted to let you know that after two weeks of struggling with wireless internet I
abandoned that and finally got connected using ethernet. Here is a link to the page that
has all the instructions and software for connecting with a Linksys III ethernet card.
http://www.floodgap.com/retrotech/mac/enet3c589/
Cheers and thanks for all the help!