This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alexei's picture
Can't update to mac os x jaguar from 9.2.2

When I try to update to mac os x 10.2 or 10.3 on my slot loading Imac G3 I keep getting the alert "An error occurred. 'Startup disk was unable to select the install CD as the startup disk. (-2).'"

I have tried booting the computer holding down option, and the cd doesn't come up, and I have tried booting holding down c and it just ejects the disk after a few seconds.

please help!

Comments

bertyboy's picture

where did you get the disc from ?

and if from a download, how did you burn it ?

On a Mac ? Windows ? Mac OS X ? 10.5 ? 10.6 ? 10.7 ? 10.8 ?

Alexei's picture

Downloaded it, put all the files from the .dmg into a folder and went file> burn < name of folder > to disk. I am using A macbook from 2007 running mac os x 10.5

bertyboy's picture

Well the 2007 MacBook and OSX 10.5 is OK, any later and the disc may have been burned with HFS+.

Not sure WHY you copied the files to a folder. I can guarantee that it's missed most of the files you need.
Just lock the original .dmg in the Finder, open Disk Utility, click the Burn icon, a "Select a disk image" dialog appears, select the OSX 10.2 or 10.3 .dmg file and put a CD in. You'll have to repeat for each of the install CDs.

Alexei's picture

Mac os 9 can't open .dmg files though

bertyboy's picture

But your burning the disks on your 2007 MacBook. Forget Mac OS 9.

Alexei's picture

ok thanks I'l try it and report back

Alexei's picture

No luck, as I said MAc os 9 can't read .dmg files so it didn't work.

mathieudel's picture

A dmg file is a snapshot of what a disc contains.

When you burn a dmg file back to disc using the method bertyboy gave you, your are actually restoring the state of the snapshoted disc to another disc : no trace of the dmg file persists, and your getting a 1:1 copy of the original disc, so your MacOS 9 should read it properly, given that the dmg file as been properly created at the beginning.

So, either you did not follow bun instructions properly, or the dmg file you downloaded is not valid, or there may be some hardware problems (badly burnt disc, disc reader failiure, ...)

Alexei's picture

Hmmm, I must be burning It wrong then, I selected the dmg file then went to file and selected the option to burn it to disk. How else can I burn it?

mathieudel's picture

Following what bertyboy said.

bertyboy's picture

Just to make it simple, I've filled out the obvious parts.

1. Lock the original .dmg in the Finder on your MacBook,
2. open Disk Utility on your MacBook,
3. click the Burn icon,
4. a "Select a disk image" dialog appears, select the OSX 10.2 or 10.3 .dmg file and click the "Burn" button
5. put an unused CD-R in your MacBook
6. forget about Mac OS 9

Alexei's picture

Thanks bro

Alexei's picture

OK, I don't get that same error anymore but when I go to reboot and install, It ejects the disk and gives me a flashing foldr with question mark and finder icon for a second, then reboots as mac os 9 again.

MikeTomTom's picture

You can try (with CD inserted) restarting the G3 with the Option key held down, to invoke the G3's "Startup Manager". If it spits the CD out while starting up, push it back in. Wait for the Startup Manager to load (take finger off Option key then). You should see an icon for the internal drive and an icon for the CD. Click the Mac OS X CD icon to select it then click the arrow button to continue booting from the CD.

If the CD fails to mount in the Startup Manager's window with a OS X CD icon, then what you have is not usable as a boot CD.

24bit's picture

You have to press letter "C" on your Mac´s keyboard all the time during booting, until you see the installer for 10.2 loading.

bertyboy's picture

It sounds like your burned CD is good enough to allow you to choose it i the Startup Disk control panel, but not good enough to actually boot the iMac G3.

Is the slot-loading CR drive the original ?
If it's a non Apple-supplied replacement, it may not be able to boot the iMac. But if you can boot the iMac from the CD driive with other OS's you should be good.
If it's been replaced, is it connected as the Master on the IDE ribbon ?

At what speed did you burn the CD on the MacBook, maximum ?
When I've had issues with boot CD's / DVDs if I've reduced the burn speed to 2x or 4x, it's usually made the world of difference.

What about the .dmg ? It's dowloaded, but was it from here ? and if so, which one ?

The CD media, is it CD-R or CD+R ? I don't know which Macs can boot from +R media. That includes DVD+R and DVD+R DL.

themacmeister's picture

my head hurts...

Alexei's picture

original slot loading drive, I was using maximum burn speed on a CD-R disk. I will try with 10X burn speed.

Alexei's picture

Ok The installation worked, but when I restarted the computer it Kernel Panicked

bertyboy's picture

marginal RAM maybe, happens to all of us.

themacmeister's picture

If it installed with marginal RAM, it should BOOT with marginal RAM.

It is difficult, but you can get Panther CDs for install (3 or 4 x CD I believe). Burn these at the absolute slowest speed you can (multiple of 4). ie: 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x. No faster than 16x. Use CD-R.

10x is way too fast for DVD. Try 4x or 8x max. If you have a full backup of OS9 stuff, do a full format of the HDD before partitioning (takes a WHILE). Format as HFS+ with OS9 drivers. Install Panther. Reboot. Smile!

If it still kernel panics, I would look into disconnecting EVERYTHING not entirely necessary for the install (USB sticks/HDDs, Printers, etc.) You can always break into the boot sequence with holding down Command+S (or just S ?) while booting. You can run tests on the disk, type exit to continue booting. Hold down X while booting to disable extensions (safe boot).

Other than that, I cannot help you Sad

oh: Command-Option-P-R held down on boot, wait for THREE chimes, then release.

also: Check PRAM battery. About $15 at a good electronics store.

themacmeister's picture

My apologies, I thought you meant Panther, now I understand you meant Jaguar Sad

Alexei's picture

help, if it doesn't Kernel Panic, it does this instead
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r555/alexei20/Photo10.jpg

themacmeister's picture

Ouch! That is not a good sign at all.

Have you tried doing a straight OS9 install, and seeing how that goes. There are disk images on this site.

PS. good reading here -> http://lowendmac.com/imacs/400-mhz-imac-dv-g3-1999.html

especially "You cannot update to OS X 10.3 or later unless you first install Firmware Update 4.1.9"

hmmm. Also interesting information "If you are using Mac OS X, you must boot from a Mac OS 9.1-9.2.2 writeable partition (not a CD or network disk) prior to updating"

Best of luck. Hope your iMac isn't "borked".

Alexei's picture

Right, I'm going to install panther on there now and see how that goes.

nil0bject's picture

just keep in mind to burn the disc at a slower speed(4x max)

Alexei's picture

the lowest it would allow was 10x

bertyboy's picture

aha, that photo of the bad video looks like you need the iMac firmware needs updating.

When Mac OS 10.2 came out, many thousands blew their iMac G3 video circuitry because they didn't read the install guide. You need to update the iMac Firmware to something like v1.2 for the 333MHz or slower iMacs and a different version for later (early) iMac G3's.

Which model iMac G3 is it (speed, colour, CD drive, etc. ? And which firmware version is installed (Apple System Profiler). We may be able to find a download link for it on the Apple Support site.

Don't try to boot from Mac OS X 10.2 or 10.3 (or later) until we check the firmware version.

Alexei's picture

sht i'm a;ready installing the second panther disk. but before I installed jaguar I did the firmware update thing where you turn it off and on and hold down that small button on the side.
all know about my imac is its blue and slot loading and the drive is original. sorry.

Alexei's picture

Not to worry bros its all good, panther installed successfully. now all I need is mac os 9.2 for the classic environment..