This page is a wiki. Please login or create an account to begin editing.

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
WhosIt.There's picture
Apple releases macOS Catalina (10.15)

Apple has released macOS Catalina (10.15).

It can't run 32bit apps, so many old games and and apps won't run, including emulators (Basilisk II 1.0, Sheepshaver 2.4, and Mini vMac 3.4.1). You may need to hold off updating until you can update those, or set-up a dual/multi-boot system (note: Apple's new APFS disk format is an issue to be aware of for dual/multi-booting), or run an older version of macOS under one of virtualisation apps.

Comments

IIGS_User's picture

or run an older version of macOS under one of virtualisation apps.

Need to check whether the applications works within virtualisation, then I'm ready.

24bit's picture

Thanks for the pointer!

Catalina

The writing was on the wall now, for some time.
SheepShaver and Basilisk II should be ready for 10.15 from what I read.
Guess I´ll try the new release with a spare SSD or my backup laptop to see how I fare.
No need to hurry…

melomac's picture

I have no problem running SheepShaver using the LibSDL2 version:
https://github.com/kanjitalk755/macemu

And no problem running Mini vMac (I am using a Sponsor Code variation):
https://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/sp_code.html

Remember to donate to the Gryphel Project if you like Mini vMac!

Jatoba's picture

No need to hurry…

Indeed. I'm still on 10.4/5 PPC and still have no plans to switch. Wink

WhosIt.There's picture

I had no plans to switch either, but then my beige G3 running OS X 10.2 / OS 9 died (after nearly 20 years of good service), so I was forced to since I need something reliable to do work on. Sad

IIGS_User's picture

I think I'll create a volume called /Alina on ProDOS on Apple II, then I'll type:
CAT /ALINA

SkyCapt's picture

Catali? Na.

scott Praed's picture

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/17/aspyr-ending-sales-32-bit/
I found out aspyr is doing away all 32 bit games and move to 64 bit only games.
We will see all changes to lot websites have 32 bits applications and games. We think they will remove all 32 bit application and universal then move to 64 bit only. Macgamestore post their website about macOS Catalina 10.15 with older games. They said 32 bit games will not work on macOS Catalina 10.15. They will not refund you if buy 32 bit though game will work on macOS Catalina 10.15. They said make sure game said it will work on 64 bit. I think this will happen. All intel 32 bits games and application and 32 bits PowerPC and 32 bits universal games and applications will come here on macintosh Garden.
Because it will be only place they can get older 32 bits powerpc or 32 bits intel and 32 bits universal.

Also micromat said there will new techtool pro 12 coming out this fall. Techtool 11 works on intel 32 bit up to macOS 10.14.
Also blitwise.com said all games are intel 64 bits and windows. when l click on games download it show be intel 64 bits and windows and all universal games must removed. all games 64 bits but one game said windows only. They will putting new 64 bit for this game.

capt_chuckl3s's picture

I don't think that my iBook or my late 2009 MacBook will update to Catalina, so I won't be moving away from Tiger and High Sierra. I'm okay with that.

WhosIt.There's picture

There is the macOS Catalina Patcher by dosdude1 which can install Catalina on unsupported Macs, including the 2009 MacBook. No idea whether it's actually usable though.

Jatoba's picture

All I know is that I have Mojave on a 2011 "Hackbook" without any perceived slowdowns (for modern XCode work). After I upgraded to a 1TB SSD and its RAM to 8GB, it works shockingly well. I suppose a 2009 MacBook will have similar specs? If so, it might be worth a try.

capt_chuckl3s's picture

There's no real way to tell unless you use the software yourself. I don't want to attempt an upgrade with the patch and the MacBook bricks or is unstable as a result.

24bit's picture

I tried the Catalina Patcher successfully (MBP 8,1 Hackintosh - Intel HD3000).
Just have a look at "System Compatibility" on the page linked at #11 and you should be good to go.
On my side 10.15 does work equally well as Mojave.

As usual: Always have a backup and make a clean install of the new OS onto a blank volume.